Avenger Assembled! Sword's 72nd TBM-3S JMSDF

Stu

There’s a number of notable WW2 planes that went on to have careers into the Cold War era in various guises. You could easily do a collection of Mustangs and not go anywhere near the 1940’s. Plus many ended up looking very different to their wartime service like jungle camo’d Corsairs.  I’m don’t really have a rational explanation as to why I chose this model , it  just seemed like a good idea though a couple of recent in-box reviews on Hyperscale may well  have got me thinking.

Not a whole lot of experience with “limited run” kits, Sword or otherwise, but nothing in this really caused any major problems. I did build the wings and tailplanes first to check their fit in the fuselage halves, fortunate as there was a certain amount of work to get them half decent plus I built the cockpit in-situ as the instructions would have you do it separately which would have involved a bit of a balancing act getting them in the right place. Interior is pretty basic but once the canopy is on and painted surprisingly little to see. 

Enjoyed doing it which is, after all, the whole point and think I might try a couple more of their kits as they do some interesting subjects.

Thanks

Stu

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 43

An excellent job!  :clap2::clap2:

An observer's post (?) instead of the turret seems a very useful modification to the wartime aircraft.

You have piqued my interest in the Sword Avenger kits. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the brief review of the kit Stu.  I crossed my fingers when I picked up one of these Sword Avengers recently. Your Avenger here is not only unique in Japanese livery, but very nicely done as well.  :goodjob:

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2021 at 5:43 PM, Alan P said:

Also - great thread title

What comes of having a grandson who's Marvel Mad....!  Thanks to all who have tagged or commented, appreciated.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:32 PM, kapam said:

You have piqued my interest in the Sword Avenger kits.

On 10/14/2021 at 11:43 AM, Sky Keg said:

Thanks for the brief review of the kit

Hyperscale in box reviews

http://www.hyperscale.com/2021/reviews/kits/sw72137sereviewgc_1.htm

http://www.hyperscale.com/2021/reviews/kits/sw72135sereviewgc_1.htm

Would  add I did get the Peewit masks for the canopy, worth the extra expense.

Stu

Nice looking Avenger, Stu. You see this paint scheme in reference books and the occasional Hasegawa boxtop, but this is the first one i've actuallly seen done up in JMSDF markings.

You know, the JMSDF also flew Lockheed PV-2 Harpoons. Just sayin....

-d-

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, David H said:

You know, the JMSDF also flew Lockheed PV-2 Harpoons. Just sayin....

Oh yeah, just saying !! , That got me looking around and I've now found Special Hobby did one  

https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/PV-2D-Harpoon.html

with a sea blue or bare metal (??) finish, now  sadly out of production though that might well be a blessing in disguise. But something to keep an eye out for.

Thanks

Stu

Great work....    Sword certainly produce some interesting subjects but he kits can be difficult to put together..  I had problems with their Seastar, posted some weeks back and gave up trying to assemble the nose undercarriage on the FJ3 Fury.  This will be finished with the gear up and on a stand. Good luck

• Thanks 1