Roundels on a Wellington 1c - Jan 1942

BobCNutt

Hello all

In my efforts to recreate N2848 from Airfix's recent 1:72 kit, I stumble upon the issue of roundels on the fuselage. It appears they differed during the aircraft's production, maybe also nature of deployment (OTU, Coastal Command...)?

I've got decals of smaller and larger overall diameter and of different proportions of red, white, blue and yellow. 

Can anyone point me at some references or otherwise help me towards a best guess of getting it right? 

BTW, N2848 was assigned to 18 OTU when it crashed in late January 1942. The story is here - http://www.buckdenpike.co.uk/

Taken on Charge 6 August 1940, 48 MU 13 August, 21 OTU "B" 12 March 1941, 18 OTU "A" 7 May, 43 Group Deposit Account 5 June, 18 OTU "A" 10 September, Repaired on Site? 27 October, 18 OTU 12 November, Struck off Charge 6 February 1942.

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

That is a sad story! Nice of you to do  a model as a tribute to the crew. There was a forum topic discussion on Wellington roundel sizes in January, 2013; you could look for it to see if the discussion has the information you need.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Thanks 72modeler. I'll have a look. 

Buckden Pike is a local hill for me and I've been to the summit and the memorial lots of times since I was a kid. The idea is to complete it, as a tribute, for the anniversary of the crash. 

• Like 2