How do you renew thickening/drying putty?

PattheCat

Hello. The question is in the title, but more precisely my problem lies with Mr. Surfacer 500 and Perfect plastic putty. They are less than a year old. Jar/tube always closed after use.

- Mr. Surfacer is thickening and now takes a longer time to fully harden

- PPP is not completely dry but not fluid anymore, It's now behaving like slightly wet sand aggregates.

On the other hand I've got a tube of Vallejo plastic putty and Tamiya White putty that are still behaving as new well after over a year.

Any idea what "thinner" I could use to make these still usable?

Thanks in advance.

Pat. 

41 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Mr.Color Thinner should sort your Mr. Surfacer  

13 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

water for PPP

Thanks, I've got Mr. Color levelling thinner. I'll give it a try.

• 1 month later...

I find my Surfacer500, which I use as a paint on putty, needs freshening up every few months, I think the solvent is so volatile it evaporates during the short time the bottle is open. On the basis of what it smells like I use cellulose thinners from Wilkinson's and it still seems to have the same characteristics even after several years.

I like PPP on some awkward seams as it's easy to clean up with a cotton bud, but I too find it goes grainy and I bin it and buy a new tube once a year.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another tuppence, 

I haven't had the need to check on my Mr Surfacers (I have several) as they haven't thickened BUT I have read in several places that when they get a bit thicker, they can still be worked with fairly easily. Some even prefer to take the lid gunk instead of from the jar for this purpose. Not sure why but I think it may be because it's more manageable. 

PPP - I've had 1 tube die on me within 6 months, I have another and tend to use a damp toothpick or a metal dental pick dipped in water now my 2nd tube has gummed up a bit. Still works great with this method as you hydrate what you use, as you use it.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pin said:

well, basic chemistry - cellulose thinner. 

It may skin over very quickly with basic cellulose thinner, MLT isn't as hot so the drying time is a little longer, giving you more time to apply it

• Like 1