RAF Phantom F4-J Decals/Stencils

scottyphbeta

A question for all the RAF Phantom experts out there, especially for the F-4J's that the RAF had.

Did they come with the over wing stencils and walkway markings as per the RAF FG1 and FGR2 Phantom's?

I built the ESCI 1/72 F-4J last year but the aircraft was a bit bereft of stencils/decals unlike the other RAF Phantoms and it doesn't look right. I can't get a good reference picture of the aircraft to definitely say yes or no. Were they pretty clean as they came from the US or do I need to fit some after market decals to finish it off?

Thanks in advance.

Did these not get repaints in the UK due to the off colours they arrived in?

Would have though only a minimum of stencilling was put back on. 

This F-4J was pretty grotty when it was photographed

14 hours ago, Julien said:

Would have though only a minimum of stencilling was put back on. 

This F-4J was pretty grotty when it was photographed

Thank, think this answers my question, cheers.

The kind of low visibility stencils used on RAF grey Phantoms is always hard to see, not surprisingly of course...

For this reason I consulted the two old Aeroguide titles on the F-4J and the FGR.2, that include plenty of clpse-up pictures, and indeed the F-4Js in original US scheme seem to feature a very limited number of stencils, lacking the multitude of stencils that the Spey engined aircraft featured.

Aircraft repainted in British colours however seem to show more stencils than in the original scheme, it may well be that in the US they received only a minimal set and this was then brought to RAF standard after repaint in the UK

On 10/19/2021 at 6:08 AM, Julien said:

In a word - no. Three were resprayed as part of the major servicing - nothing to do with the American mis-matched colours (colors?) on delivery. 

Lots of information relevant to the thread can be found here:

https://bpag.co.uk/

7 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

The kind of low visibility stencils used on RAF grey Phantoms is always hard to see, not surprisingly of course...

For this reason I consulted the two old Aeroguide titles on the F-4J and the FGR.2, that include plenty of clpse-up pictures, and indeed the F-4Js in original US scheme seem to feature a very limited number of stencils, lacking the multitude of stencils that the Spey engined aircraft featured.

Aircraft repainted in British colours however seem to show more stencils than in the original scheme, it may well be that in the US they received only a minimal set and this was then brought to RAF standard after repaint in the UK

Thanks, I've found a few more pictures so will add a few more (and lighten the MSG on the inner wing).