Kit bashing: Rockwell/Aerocommander 690

follasha

I flew in an Aerocommander 690 a couple of years ago from Samoa to American Samoa return...have been thinking about how to recreate one as a model in 1/72nd scale.  I knew that the Croco resin Aerocommander 560 kit might be a good starting point, however then there were the issues with extending the fuselage, the wings and the engines to consider.  A bit of research and some scale drawings indicates that a fair part of the 690 encapsulates components from the original. The wing extension in the '690 just incorporates a new parallel chord centre section (plus some winglets which were incorporated later versions of the aircraft: B model onwards)

A parallel search on the Jet Commander which used a stretched Aerocommander fuselage got me thinking (ahh---Aurora did a Jet commander kit, however now unobtanium & expensive!). The jet commander design however was sold to IAI (Israel Aircraft Industries) and marketed as the Westwind!! I decided to taKe a punt and bought both the Croco resin kit and a Broplan vacuform IAI Westwind 1123 & do a bit of a kit bash. Engines for the project were donated by a Hasegawa Mitsubishi Mu-2.

Here's progress so far, its very much a build this bit...check drawings...put aside...think about how to do the next bit...contemplate...contemplate...measure up, build some more... 

51569330557_6bb7d53121_h.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

51570814184_e7f0ac3eb5_b.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

The dis-membered parts fortunately fit together like they were meant to :) 

51571058715_d776879182_h.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

51570374788_2d2a10a4d9_h.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

Interesting to compare next to the Croco Aerocommander 560

51574168516_242651a5a1_h.jpgIMG_5856 by Harry Follas, on Flickr

Engine nacelles built up around the MU-2 components, the rear of the nacelle is largely formed with milliput. The wheel wells came from the IAI 1123 model 

51578932900_d29869d266_h.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

51577200327_664743c840_h.jpgUntitled by Harry Follas, on Flickr

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

I forgot to ask where you found the Broplan Westwind. I’ve been looking for one since Moses was a child, or so it seems.

The aviationmegastore in the Netherlands does have three kinds of westwinds from broplan in stock in a pricerange of a little more then 40 euro's...could not paste a link via my phone☹️

Cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

Not the regions where I usually post (for massive knowledge deficits), but seeing the Commander mentioned always causes amazement why such an important GA/commuter type has been almost overlooked in kit form. Well almost - Aurora also had a 680 Commander, apparently née Comet. OK, it's to the internationally acclaimed standard scale for GA types of 1/81.5 ... but I don't think that rare, and given what Atlantis already have unearthed from the Revellogram toolbank, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes on the list soon.

• Like 1

CCw6Sp3.jpg   The force is with you young Skywalker

Impressive... Most impressive! Perhaps you're stronger than the Emperor has forseen. 😜

Jedi-class kitbashing AND interesting subject.

Cheers, Darth Moggy (owner of both Aurora Jet Commander and Aerocommander 😎 )

Edited by Moggy
picture

...some subtle shape changes around the forward fuselage and nose + the repositioning of the nose wheel to its correct location. I have also added winglets seen on the '690B model onwards  and cut out the triangular notch in the base of the rudder (on all '690s) and added gear doors. 

Yes I also sourced the Broplan IAI Westwind from Aviation Megastore along with the Croco  Aerocommander kit. There are very few Aerocommander kits left anywhere now, they must've been a very low production run 

51582094433_b95f5c3fe0_h.jpgIMG_5884 by Harry Follas, on Flickr

51581868301_3425274102_h.jpgIMG_5879 by Harry Follas, on Flickr 

Edited by follasha
  • Like 12

This is brilliant! Very nice work with the conversion. I'm looking forward to see more.

"Turbo Commander" was my first HPA (High Performance Aircraft) type back in the 90s. She was fast (cruising some 320 kt.) and could fly well above Flight Level 300. The fuel system was a nightmare as was the crew oxygen system. Also the engines required extra care from the air crew as they had to be manually cooled after shut down (Garret turbo-prop differs from Pratt&Whitney engines by having a long engine shaft running all the way from propeller to the turbine). Disregard the cooling by turning the engine by hand and you'll ruin the engine.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2

I have factory 3-view scale drawings, with dimensions for the following Aero Commander models:

500S (1970 model)

680FL Grand Commander

690 Turbo Commander

690C (Jetprop 840)

If any are interested in copies, send me a PM with your return email address.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2021 at 02:06, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Lovely work indeed!  This is a triumph of your modeling skills!  You've really made quick work of a complicated project and executed it smoothly.

Indeed! Couldn't have put it better myself.