Airfix 1/48 Bristol Fighter?

TEXANTOMCAT

Corgi have done a bunch of models in their die-cast aircraft range that I’d love to see Airfix do as kits. For starters, there would be new 1/72 tools of the Halifax and Stirling in the Airfix range as these have both been done as Corgi die-casts.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

As possibly spotted on tonight’s Hornby programme on Yesterday!

TT

Well it was in the trailer for the next episode which seemed to appear to cover Airfix, the markings were different to the corgi model ?

But then would it be better than Eduard and there are others that deserve attention?

Mike

• Like 1

The next programme trail said it was Corgi, and the problem they had was translating a fabric aircraft into diecast metal. I've heard that the Airfix episode will be about the Mosquito - the designer of it did briefly appear in the opening sequence of the first programme.

• Like 1

I've always wondered just how much information the Hornby/Airfix/Corgi/Scalextric designers share? After all the dimensions of the subject are identical whether the model will be in plastic or zinc so the research must be shareable. Is the choice of subject in an individual range purely based personal whim of the design team or what some sales manager thinks the customers of a particular range want? Why do they think a 1:48 Brisfit will sell in the Corgi range and not Airfix.

And finally as someone who grew up with the railways of South Manchester at the bottom of the garden, why does Hornby ignore the LNWR?

Thank you for bringing up about the lack of LNWR subjects. I also wonder about this on many occasion. So where are the the cauliflower’s , Dx goods and compounds? We have only recently had the G2 and web tank. Yet they can produce SR tank engines which were far less common than those superb north western engines above. Come on Hornby.

I suggest the reasons why the LNWR is overlooked are the same as the reason for overlooking the NER and many other pre-grouping railways.  Lack of general interest in anything so far back in history and so parochial the market.  Local railways means local interest.  One of the points made in the first Hornby programme where the owner of a Kent model railway shop said that there was always considerable interest in Southern Railway subjects.  Unlikely to be a lot of LNWR or NER interest there.

23 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

The next programme trail said it was Corgi, and the problem they had was translating a fabric aircraft into diecast metal. I've heard that the Airfix episode will be about the Mosquito - the designer of it did briefly appear in the opening sequence of the first programme.

Oh ok I must have missed that Corgi reference 

Mike

On 10/12/2021 at 10:03 PM, Aeronut said:

Why do they think a 1:48 Brisfit will sell in the Corgi range and not Airfix.

My guess on that is that the Corgi model will come ready rigged. I think it's the rigging that puts a lot of "casual" modellers off early aircraft, I know it does me.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 7:54 PM, mick b said:

Well it was in the trailer for the next episode which seemed to appear to cover Airfix, the markings were different to the corgi model ?

But then would it be better than Eduard and there are others that deserve attention?

Mike

The one 1/48 omission that leaps out at me is the plane that was the reason for the RAF (other opinions are available....but wrong :) ) the R.E.8 Tooled in the dim and distant past the best offering is unobtainium and I've never seen the other.

On 10/12/2021 at 10:03 PM, Aeronut said:

And finally as someone who grew up with the railways of South Manchester at the bottom of the garden, why does Hornby ignore the LNWR?

For a long period Airfix was based in Hull. Saying now't but the Pennines are more than a line of mountains. My Grandfather was Station Master for LNER at Sheffield which may be unrelated.

I noticed that and commented to the wife whilst watching it to the same effect! Why blur out the Humbrol brand name as they are a Hornby brand name as well!!!! Or is Humbrol not covered as part of the commercial agreement in the filming, and they re only covering Corgi, Hornby & Airfix?