Revell H-179 1/72 F-4E Phantom II, JASDF **FINISHED**

Paul Bradley

A late entry, if I may?

I'll be building a kit that holds a lot of memories for me.

51579090150_b5c65c6bde_o.jpgIMG-0934 by Paul Bradley, on Flickr

This is H-179, the 1/72 F-4E Phantom, a kit that was released in 1976, but is most likely a modified version of Revell's original 1965 F-4B kit (H-110).

It would have been 1976 or thereabouts when I first built this kit. My dear nan bought it for me, probably (and rightly) thinking that the dramatic box photo would be attractive and exciting to a 12-year-old budding aviation fanatic such as me. I don't know if this was a birthday or Christmas gift, but I'm sure it would have been rushed to my desk for assembly very shortly after being received. I do vaguely remember painting it in USAF Vietnam colours and using the kit's decals, and being very pleased with it, putting it in pride of place on one of the shelves that ran around my bedroom walls, shelves my dad had put up just for my models.

It was one of those shelves that led to this model's downfall as, not long after completion, one of the shelves came loose and crushed the Phantom. I was distraught; I remember a flood of tears. My dad felt rather guilty and bought me a replacement kit - the Airfix F-4 Phantom kit, which I finished as an Israeli AF version as part of my burgeoning IAF collection. But that's another story...

So this build will be of that 1976 Revell kit in honor of my dear late nan, who died not too long after I received this kit. I found one of these on eBay for a song - I guess with so many modern Phantom kits, this oldie doesn't receive a lot of love. My intent is to try to give the kit a bit of love, by rescribing, adding some (but not too much) detail and generally smartening it up. It is a near-60 year old set of moulds, so I don't expect too much in the way of sharp detail and fit, but we'll see what I can do.

As the original decal sheet is rather nasty - and I don't build Vietnam stuff - I'll be substituting some period decals from Modeldecal for a Japanese ASDF machine.

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 5

Cheers, Johnson!

Starting to look a bit Phantom-shaped:

51599219137_972cd5c1d5_b.jpg

51600044106_2ac32a3ce1_b.jpg

I knocked down the rivets and re-scribed the major panel lines. I had delayed construction a bit in the hope of being able to pick up a cheap pair of ejection seats or some other greeblies to tart it up a bit, but no joy. So I went with the kits 'detail'..... :rofl2:  Just look at those highly-detailed ejection seat boxes..... At least the crew figures covered up a lot of nothing. The suggested Medium Gray paint 'for extra detailing' as suggested on the instruction sheet didn't do much - clearly, I had the wrong shade.....  :doh:

Fit is optional, but luckily I have lots of filler and I bought some new sanding sticks yesterday. 

But I am having fun. Really!  🤪

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes, guys!

A week away from the bench hasn't made the kit any better, merely a week older; nevertheless, "以降" *

A quick squirt of black over the masked canopy and some pre-shading, followed by a coat of white primer, which I felt would be a good base for the Light Gull Gray and White colour scheme. 

51642712321_fe918516bd_b.jpg

As the undercarriage and undercarriage bays are also all white, it seemed like a good idea to add them at this stage. 

51642928263_ba434bd31f_b.jpg

Tomorrow will see the metal areas of the rear fuselage painted and perhaps the white undersides will receive a final coat. 

* Onwards!

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not forgotten, I've just been sidetracked by other matters. 

So I've been slowly working on the paintwork. After that primer coat, I added a little pre-shading with black along the prominent panel lines and a bit more heavily on the often stained in real life undersides. This was followed by a coat of Light Gull Gray, followed by a little masking so I could add a final white undersides coat. 

This morning, I started decalling, using Future as a decal set.  The Modeldecals are OK, but the aged glue leaves a white residue that needs to be removed before the decal can be applied to the model. 

51671572587_09e90c4685_b.jpg

Next up will be the Natural Metal areas at the back end, followed by some more decalling. 

• Like 3

And finished!

51677231771_a5a592cc05_c.jpg

51677232021_2d7e5a3c09_c.jpg

Had a small issue with the canopies - a little paint seeped under the masks in places, so I had to go round with a cocktail stick to clean up some of the framing. And a few little flecks of paint also managed to get into the canopy - grrrrr....

Overall, an interesting and nostagic build! It turned out a lot better than I thought it would, though it is still definitely a '1/72' model - as in 'one views it from 72 inches'....

Still, for a 1965 kit, it does look like a Phantom. And completing it means I now qualify as 'Revell Official Master Modeler'!

51677479148_bc5cfbecb6_c.jpg

51678111820_24a32b38ae_c.jpg

I have a crisp new Dollar bill to put in an envelope - now when does the mail truck come by...? I don't know if I can wait 6 weeks, I'm so excited! Where should I hang my Official Club Membership Certificate?

• Like 5

• Paul Bradley changed the title to Revell H-179 1/72 F-4E Phantom II, JASDF **FINISHED**