Aichi D3A1 and D3A2 visual differences?

phat trev

Looking to start a 1/72 Fujimi Val bomber, adding detail and converting it to a late war D3A2 green and rather worn IJA bomber. Anyone know what extra needs to be done to upgrade the type (apart from a new spinner). Thanks 

Edited by phat trev

Appearance-wise, the D3A2's cowling was more streamlined-looking and curved down toward the front, while the D3A1's cowling was more squarish-looking. The D3A2's oil cooler was a single piece unit (not being bifurcated - hence a different bomb crutch, more on that later), was shallower in profile, and was more rounded-looking from head-on than that of the D3A1.

The D3A2's rear canopy was also more streamlined, and narrowed more towards the back - it also extended further along the back of the fuselage, so, you'll have to do a reasonable amount of hacking and filling of the fuselage around the cockpit aperture to convert a D3A1 to a D3A2.

The picture below shows these details (the top drawing is a D3A1 and the bottom is a D3A2):

20191201135051460339_863a018a96a05487f44

Similarly, of the two profiles below, EI-234 is a D3A1 and 2-1-202 is a D3A2:

D3A1: http://www.gahoh.net/traffic/ww2/profile/B5N-D3A/image/A1_shokaku-03.jpg

D3A2: http://www.gahoh.net/traffic/ww2/profile/B5N-D3A/image/A2_hiyo.jpg

The D3A2's elevators also differed, in that they were shorter in span than those of the D3A1. This detail is on the pictures below (the top three-view drawing is a D3A1 and the bottom three-view drawing is a D3A2):

c5ea99cf42c68f90edabba9891bc70cf.png

aichi_d3a1_val-24917.jpg

There was also a different bomb crutch on the D3A2's fuselage centreline, this being rectangular rather than triangular in appearance.

The first crutch picture below shows both kinds, with the D3A1's on top. The second and third crutch pictures are those for the D3A1 and D3A2, respectively. The last picture is of a crashed and sunken D3A2.

ezZ9qng.jpg

ba2bf646.jpg

3330d753.jpg

6c2f99f5.jpg

There are also some interesting noticeable differences between D3A2s produced by Aichi and Showa, mostly concerning the  layout of the exhaust. The drawing below shows the single exhaust on each side of Aichi-produced aircraft (top) and the multi-stack exhaust layout of Showa-produced aircraft (bottom).

d3a2_n__rt.jpg

This film contains also some information - including a drawing - of the exhaust layout on Showa-produced D3A2s (starting at 8:52 - don't worry, it's got English subtitles):

A Japanese company, Create 301 (クリエイト301) produced a 1/48 conversion set; however (in my opinion, and with my 'skillz'), it was a bit ragged-looking and still required quite a bit of elbow grease to pull off. The picture below is not mine, but shows the bits as I remember them!

244425384_10223219313525391_438227768297

Otherwise, try and find a copy of FAOW #151 by Bunrindo (IJN Type 99 Carrier Bomber Aichi D3A) - this has loads of photos, diagrams and explanatory text, to differentiate the variants! Note that this has also been published more recently as #33, but with the same title.

As a bonus feature - because everyone here loves discussions concerning colours - here are two useful pages from the 'Aviation of Japan' blog, discussing the interior colours of D3As:

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2009/04/aichi-d3a-val-interior-in-detail-colour.html

and

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2009/04/aichi-d3a-val-interior-in-detail-colour_10.html

Good luck!

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@Blimpyboy this detail is perfect thanks. Had not noticed the different canopy structure and yes that will take a bit of DIY to replicate. I have a cowl from a Johan Zero that I might be able to butcher to get the correct shape and spinner from too. The A2 looks so way more modern than the A1 even with those small changes and prettier I think. 

• Like 1

If you wanted to do one in 1/72, Fujimi did both the D3A-1 and D3-A2 versions- I have both, and they are actually pretty nice kits with just some minor corrections needed. IIRC, Hobby 2000 has or will re-release both. As stated, the Maru  Mechanic on the Val is an excellent modeling reference, and  they do pop up on book seller and auction sites. faatestbook  is a seller on that famous e-site that specializes in IJA/IJN references, and I bet he has either or both of the Val Maru Mechanics. (No consideration or other rewards from this seller- I have just been a very satisfied customer.. Rebel Alpha would be another good seller to try.

Mike

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

If you wanted to do one in 1/72, Fujimi did both the D3A-1 and D3-A2 versions- I have both, and they are actually pretty nice kits with just some minor corrections needed. IIRC,

But methinks Fujimi barely scraped the surface of the differences between the 2 variants as described by @blimpyboy.  IIRC the only difference between them was in the shape of the rear canopy and, to my not-so-expert eyes, the revised D3A2 canopy looked off.

2 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

But methinks Fujimi barely scraped the surface of the differences between the 2 variants as described by @blimpyboy.  IIRC the only difference between them was in the shape of the rear canopy and, to my not-so-expert eyes, the revised D3A2 canopy looked off.

It's been so long since I looked at the box contents of either kit- I just did a cursory once-over; guess I can get up to the model mausoleum and take a closer look. I do know one of my modeling mentors who did the D3A-1 version  said the forward fuselage/cowling needed shims to get the proper cross-section, but that is useless information for the 1/48 kits.

Mike

10 hours ago, Seahawk said:

methinks Fujimi barely scraped the surface of the differences between the 2 variants as described by @blimpyboy.  IIRC the only difference between them was in the shape of the rear canopy and, to my not-so-expert eyes, the revised D3A2 canopy looked off.

Yeah, the Fujimi 1/72 kit is a good compromise, which enables them make the most of common D3A1/D3A2 bits.

Still - and as a pretty average model builder - I reckon the Fujimi 1/72 kit looks the part (especially with my old eyes). To me, it ticks all the boxes for featuring the major noticeable components (cowling, propeller spinner, Aichi-made exhaust, bomb crutch, elevators and canopy). I agree that the canopy and associated fuselage contours around the cockpit aperture are little over-simplified; however, I reckon it's still quite good, especially if you include a vac-formed canopy (such as Pavla V72045).

10 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I can get up to the model mausoleum

Nice one, I'm still chortling and I'm going use it!

Whenever I refer/go to my - admittedly small - storage vault, my wife's usual retort is at 0:06:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blimpyboy said:

I noticed that Fujimi do both versions! I have the 1/72 D3A1 so upgrading that to A2 standard as much as possible. Thanks for all the guidance and links, I now have plenty of info to use to help me with this. Going to consider a well worn green finish for this one, being late war. 

Yep Fujimi did change cowling, bomb crutch and canopy.

My advice is to also get a Fujimi D3A2. It's less work. Plus then you have D3A1 to finish as well.

Any excuse is good to buy more models i guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Blimpyboy said:

Still - and as a pretty average model builder - I reckon the Fujimi 1/72 [D3A2] kit looks the part (especially with my old eyes). To me, it ticks all the boxes for featuring the major noticeable components (cowling, propeller spinner, Aichi-made exhaust, bomb crutch, elevators and canopy). I agree that the canopy and associated fuselage contours around the cockpit aperture are little over-simplified; however, I reckon it's still quite good, especially if you include a vac-formed canopy (such as Pavla V72045).

I think what you (and others) are saying, in the nicest possible way, is that I am wrong.  I think I disliked that D3A2 canopy on sight, put the kit back in the box and haven’t looked at it since.  I apologise for misleading the readership.