Flying alongside a Westland Lysander (Second batch 12/10/21)

Alpha Delta 210

Hi all

I jumped at the chance to fly "Wing to Wing" with the wonderful Lysander when Classic Wings emailed me in September.

The flight was postponed from last Saturday to yesterday due to poor weather.

There were six passengers in the Dragon Rapide and I am still on a high! I didn't take too many pictures because I wanted to enjoy the experience, but here are a few of my quick edits.

AVvXsEgy2ckvQTM1K70TQlG7vAnvwf0ycj5qCtX1

AVvXsEhh5bYJht-4rCOJruAPgdyaewczSmQv2Ge6

AVvXsEg1AYxDwRNkSviCVaT8hTtXzreT5A_TsVFJ

AVvXsEj73knXz6en3IIiVZm1qZQaAkxj6uJUSTvx

AVvXsEhBBySDU41co8NK3Sm38_MlAQPikj-I4ER3

AVvXsEi4aoJik9OTTSK_ieUW0NrkIqL4MLhgzx-p

AVvXsEipLjGtO8Wit2Xb1qJp0vcdw9Kecv_kUKaO

Thanks for looking.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Great photos and what a wonderful experience.  I did the Flying alongside a Spitfire at Duxford pre Covid interruption and I thought it was a better experience than I imagine actually being flown in one as you could see the whole aircraft up close and personal in her element

You lucky chap - post more pics if you have them.

By the way did they tell you whether the Lysander had to try and catch up with the Rapide or the Rapide for the Lysander.  :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice pix, thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

I didn't take too many pictures because I wanted to enjoy the experience, but here are a few of my quick edits.

This is so very true...

• Thanks 1

What a unique and magnificent experience and superb photography. The black and white images do really look like period pieces. I must admit I'd love a flight in a DH Rapide. I keep dropping hints to the wife. I have a special birthday next year so maybe with a bit more urging?!

Thanks for sharing your memorable trip.

Mark

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JohnT said:

Great photos and what a wonderful experience.  I did the Flying alongside a Spitfire at Duxford pre Covid interruption and I thought it was a better experience than I imagine actually being flown in one as you could see the whole aircraft up close and personal in her element

You lucky chap - post more pics if you have them.

By the way did they tell you whether the Lysander had to try and catch up with the Rapide or the Rapide for the Lysander.  :D

Hi John. It was a truly wonderful experience. I have a soft spot for the big Lizzie and enjoyed being so close to her on the ground and in the air!

I did the Spitfire Wing to Wing a few years ago and really enjoyed that as well and agree that seeing the machine so close was wonderful.

I will post a few more pictures this evening.

The Lizzie pilot did say that he may have to peel away and re-join if we were going too slowly!!

18 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Love number 4. What a great experience

Andy

Thanks very much, Andy. It's confession time! I had to tightly crop #4 to remove the Rapide's struts and rigging! She certainly wasn't an ideal cameras-ship, but so gorgeous to fly in!

18 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

What a cool experience! 

Thanks, Paul. I'm still high!

17 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice pix, thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

This is so very true...

Thanks very much, dnl42. I took some pictures and some phone video, but I also wanted to remember the experience.

12 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Hi Leigh, pictures 3,4 and 6 are ace.  My wife had her first ever flight in the Rapide at Duxford. Unfortunately no other aircraft around.

Thanks for posting.

Colin

Hi Colin. I'm really pleased you enjoyed them. I flew in the ex-Classic Air Force silver and white RAF-painted one, G-AIDL. I hope your wife enjoyed her flight.

2 hours ago, canberraman said:

What a unique and magnificent experience and superb photography. The black and white images do really look like period pieces. I must admit I'd love a flight in a DH Rapide. I keep dropping hints to the wife. I have a special birthday next year so maybe with a bit more urging?!

Thanks for sharing your memorable trip.

Mark

Hi Mark. Thanks for the kind words. It is not clear if Classic Wings will add the Lizzie to their regular flying programme for 2022. Somehow, I doubt it because the flight was not full and the Lysander doesn't have the same mass appeal as a certain low wing WW2 fighter!

Photography was tricky due to scratched perspex windows and the struts and rigging, but I thoroughly recommend a Rapide flight and some serious "urging"!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Red Dot said:

But the tight crop works!

Andy

Thanks Andy!

I've just been re-visiting the images and have been forced to do a few more tights crops due to the window frames, struts and rigging. I'll post some more this evening.

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Not meaning to be rude, but: You lucky :poop:!!

Chris

Sorry to rub it in Chris, but it was an awesome experience!🤣

• Like 1

• Alpha Delta 210 changed the title to Flying alongside a Westland Lysander (Second batch 12/10/21)

As promised, here is another batch, this time showing the wonderful Dragon Rapide and my wife's record of the event from the ground.

AVvXsEhkI_smhw9oPy-pVKW_FV72fG0jHMhVnqH4

Dragon Rapide Interior

AVvXsEhNCYxouS3AYeNrRr_lwQanHIFUzuwpGJrf

Lysander holding before taking to Runway 06

AVvXsEiA5s4Z-MurHvwSCNSe5YYb8PCanu3WAfLq

AVvXsEieQ_oZ7sS-Z5S_FC7in6LXS4Mns8PL8IBk

AVvXsEg0pPpjb2kmZ-1YezqFEzpFZ8LVtEORB3xd

AVvXsEhf7OhJD-4igBIe2Odp0Te9TQAgGDqcf9vm

And now, my wife's perspective...

Taxying out

AVvXsEhmLlVCW-HtwV64P_FSHnPY72y2Pg92ekOA

AVvXsEh_zUeMFBB6sFFutPapFtMkDf1gJ5y2v5UJ

Take-off

AVvXsEhwlYnQCMwTI5A_dbKemRS1wecsm7jGPHON

AVvXsEggvSvSntbFfWxNxwHHUMQjKbzO9iKXjBY7

Taxy to parking

AVvXsEhT96uyb3GsW59e1heamAw9AtPvG9dqUI4r

AVvXsEifuD6_T9yNfY4dsDvvxDC1_QVHVyI2CFwy

Thanks for looking. I hope you enjoyed them!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Have to agree with JohnT, I have the two RAF Museum books of Charles Browns photographs and yours remind me of them in many ways.

Colin

Wow! Thanks Colin, I'm pleased that you enjoyed them.

After spending many hours in the darkroom with my Dad in my formative years, I know how much photography has evolved in recent decades. I'm pretty sure that I don't have the patience and skill of Chales Brown, but thank you so much for the complement. 

2 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Where's the one of your big cheesy grin as climb out of the Rapide? But seriously you have some very atmospheric pics there.

Ha ha! Believe me, there are plenty of those in the photo book that I have created!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the pictures.