Tamiya JSU-152

Geo1966

Been on this site for a couple of years now, so i am well overdue doing a WIP. Please don't expect daily updates, as i don't get much time at the workbench. Saying that i will try to do a couple of updates each week.

I have no idea why, but i have a love for WW2 Russian armour. Put it this way, my last 2 builds have been T-34's.

(I know the correct name is ISU-152, but thought if people want to search for the Tamiya version in the future i should put it as JSU-152).

So here she is:

9580c431-2956-43ee-8280-2bcb4be14ecf.jpg

I looked into getting a PE set for this, but i am not sure it is really needed. When you look at the PE sets they seem to concentrate on the external fuel drums, fenders and the DShk machine gun. Oh and i am tight!

The tow cable is cotton, so that is in the bin and i have brought a meter length of 1mm picture wire from ebay for £2, which should do the job.  I have also noticed the external fuel drum handles are molded in a lump, so hoping i can replace them with some PE from the spares box.

I am planning to add some stowage, crew and maybe a couple of tank riders as part of a diorama, but nothing in stone as yet.

I have got a couple of additions which may come in usefull:

fe389d44-8223-4f41-86b5-6d762fe5d5d2.jpg

This is were we are at the moment. I like to get the mundane bits out of the way first, so the wheels and tracks are cleaned up and i have even built the saggy bits.

967a7dc8-4e5c-49ca-ac06-0b3c7495cf69.jpg

All being well an update in the next few days.

George

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting subject mate. 

I did this particular model last year for the Journey's End GB and my build can be found here if it is of any interest to you. 

Also point to note about the DShK, The kit supplied one depicts a DShK mod. 1938, the original one with the rotary feed system but has the muzzle brake from a DShKM which has a shuttle feed system (which wasn't introduced until 1946 and therefore not found on any WW2 vehicle.) 

The MiniArt set depicts a DShKM which as stated above is later. 

Sorry for being long winded, but this is one of those little things that irk me in a model. 

Reference for both Dushkas attached

ce5ea5dd-e792-412f-8f38-df83a1074af0.jpe

Mod. 1938

0e3ce6c4-f64b-468e-8696-d31a2163ed66.jpe

DShKM

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vaastav said:

Interesting subject mate. 

I did this particular model last year for the Journey's End GB and my build can be found here if it is of any interest to you. 

Also point to note about the DShK, The kit supplied one depicts a DShK mod. 1938, the original one with the rotary feed system but has the muzzle brake from a DShKM which has a shuttle feed system (which wasn't introduced until 1946 and therefore not found on any WW2 vehicle.) 

The MiniArt set depicts a DShKM which as stated above is later. 

Sorry for being long winded, but this is one of those little things that irk me in a model. 

Reference for both Dushkas attached

ce5ea5dd-e792-412f-8f38-df83a1074af0.jpe

Mod. 1938

0e3ce6c4-f64b-468e-8696-d31a2163ed66.jpe

DShKM

Thanks for the info Vaastav, so basically I have 2 DShK options and they are both wrong 😅 

George 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Thanks for the info Vaastav, so basically I have 2 DShK options and they are both wrong 😅 

George 

I suppose you could do a post war version with th MiniArt one

1 hour ago, Geo1966 said:

I have no idea what you are talking about 🤣

Actually, I have a daft way around these issues. I pretend that my display cabinet (bookcase really) is a museum that I run and sometimes the exhibits haven't been curated perfectly (as often happens) but we just don't tell the visitors. 

I may be going to the nut farm but I'll be happy there.

• Haha 2