Airfix 1/144 SR.N4 (09171)

My build of the Airfix 1/144 SR.N4 (09171)

SRN4_2021_GB_130.JPG

SRN4_2021_GB_131.JPG

SRN4_2021_GB_132.JPG

SRN4_2021_GB_133.JPG

SRN4_2021_GB_134.JPG

SRN4_2021_GB_135.JPG

SRN4_2021_GB_136.JPG

SRN4_2021_GB_137.JPG

SRN4_2021_GB_138.JPG

SRN4_2021_GB_139.JPG

SRN4_2021_GB_140.JPG

This build has fought me all the way. Ill-fitting skirt parts, flexible decks and bulkheads, ill-fitting roof and wrongly printed decals all conspired to make this a build to forget - you would think. Having said all that, I am trying to get another one so that I can make it now that I am aware of all of it's pitfalls. Vehicles are Oxford Die-Casts and the figures came courtesy of eBay.

Now that I have posted pictures all over the place, I have just noticed some orange paintwork that I meant to put right last night - but didn't! It is difficult but I'm trying to unsee it!

That is all.

Dave

• Like 43
  • Thanks 4

Wow, lovely job Dave.

I really enjoy seeing these old pocket money kits built with modern techniques and not a small amount of skill, I hope you find another one,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everybody. 👍

I first built one of these in the Seventies whilst still at school and have wanted to build one ever since I returned to modelling in 2004 after an absence of 25 years from the hobby. I finally bought this kit in 2011 and it has been hanging around for the right moment!  Unfortunately, I got this boxing:

SRN4_2021_GB_001.JPG

It comes with a weird clear plastic that yellows with age but if you can get hold of a Seventies boxing the clear plastic remains clear.

Dave

That brings back  back memories  of my first visit to England as a child in 1973 with my parents.  I dont know  where we departed (destination was Ramsgate) but the craft  emerging out of the fog with the deafening engine sound was really impressive.  It was also my first flight  as the tickets were flight tickets.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pappy said:

Wow, lovely job Dave.

I really enjoy seeing these old pocket money kits built with modern techniques and not a small amount of skill, I hope you find another one,

cheers,

Pappy

You obviously got more pocket money than I did!  I think my grandparents shelled out £1 17/6 (£1.87.5 in post-dismalisation money) for my Christmas present SR.N4 the year it was released.  My pocket money then was 2/6 (12.5p).

• Like 1

Great build Dave, which brings back some very happy memories. I too tackled this kit when it first came out, but with nowhere near the same success as you've had with yours.

I like the idea of using the lovely Oxford Diecast vehicles. If memory serves me right, the kit vehicles were ok, but the Oxford ones are better.

It's great to see this kit again. Thanks for sharing it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everybody.😀

Chris @cngaero I didn't use the kit cars because the 'N' Gauge cars were slightly smaller and the difference is noticeable when put alongside each other. Here are the kit's 1/144 Beetles with P&D Marsh Models 'N' Gauge white metal ones. As it turned out, I didn't use the white metal ones either.

SRN4_2021_GB_026.JPG

Dave

Some of you may be interested to know that I have bagged a Seventies boxing of this kit and will be making that one as a Seaspeed version.

Dave

• Like 4

I always wanted one of these, sadly pocket money wouldn't stretch.  These were amazing craft, running (fuel) and maintenance costs killed them, as they couldn't carry enough and of course cut price ferry prices at the time, I believe.

I was lucky enough  to go on one in Nov 1999, a Hoverspeed SR.N4 from Dover to Calais, I think they stopped running they following year.     

The final nail in the coffin was the ending of Duty Free between EU countries in 1999. Hoverspeed relied heavily on duty free sales and once they had gone the end was in sight.

Dave

• Sad 1

On 10/12/2021 at 8:21 AM, Pappy said:

On 10/12/2021 at 9:32 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

This was another of those kits I kept meaning to buy, never got around to it and then, it ceased production......!

One of those kits which was always sitting on the shelf in Woolworth's toy section when I didn't have enough pocket money/birthday money to get it.

Memories of simplier times well built Dave. 

• Thanks 1

When I got home last night, this was waiting for me:

Img_1331.jpg

A Seventies boxing that should have better transparencies than the later boxing I built above. Definitely a project for the future.

Dave

• Like 3

Hi Michael, the box-style has changed over the decades which helps identify when the kits were produced.

The Airfix SR.N4 came out in 1970 and was in a "red-stripe" boxing until 1972:

206731-14892-63-pristine.jpg

(Thanks to Scalemates)

In 1972 came this boxing where the red stripe was replaced by a red Airfix logo and the lettering changed. This was used until 1975:

Img_1331.jpg

(DaveCov)

In 1975 or 76, this boxing appeared which lasted until 1979 when Airfix withdrew the SR.N4 from production

1020725-15378-46-pristine.jpg

(Thanks to Scalemates)

From 1994 to 2003 Airfix released it again in this boxing which came with transparencies that yellow with time:

SRN4_2021_GB_001.JPG

(DaveCov)

The Airfix Tribute Forum has a History of Airfix Kits section and you can read the entry for the Airfix SR.N4 here. Scalemates has an entry for the Airfix SR.N4 here. Both sites show the history of releases for the kit and box arts but whilst the ATF concentrates solely on Airfix kits, Scalemates covers all manufacturers kits and accessories.

Dave