Brazilian P-47s?

Paramedic

Was browsing for nice 1/48 decals for a Tamiya Bubbletop I have.. I like quite a few but my favs were Out of Stock/Print.. In the end I ordered FCM´s (?) Brazilian P-47 decals..! Felt a bit interesting since I don´t really know much about them! And that is the question - what do I need to know?

What made me impulse buy the shher was the quite nice roundel and then green-yellow rudder. I really liked the look of it.. Them. :) Probably the overall green (Olive Drab?) more but the NMFs are sweet too. And the unit´s icon was pretty darned nice too!

Since i just recently read about those widened extra tanks made from 75 gallon ones - and that they are availble in resin, seems like a "must" - always interesting with unique things.. But what else should I know? Were they doing mostly ground attack missions - so I should perhaps bomb tit up?

What colours? Is it US colours - but then any tips for the green and yellow on the rudder? Well I guess the sheet will tell me but this project really made me happy. Felt very fresh, for me, with some non-US P-47 (though I love my US P-47s!)

• Like 2

From Wikipedia: During the Italian campaign the "1º Grupo de Caça da Força Aérea Brasileira" (Brazilian Air Force 1st Fighter Squadron) flew a total of 48 P-47Ds in combat (of a total of 67 received, 19 of which were backup aircraft). This unit flew a total of 445 missions from November 1944 to May 1945 over northern Italy and Central Europe, with 15 P-47s lost to German flak and five pilots being killed in action.

As to the aircraft, they were P-47D-25s and given how shabby they look and the fact they're Olive Drab over Neutral Grey in contemporary photos I suspect they were used ex-USAAF rather than new builds. This photo is great: Brazilian P-47D as it gives a good impression of the weathering and the load out. Trickyrich built one in the Thunderbolt STGB a couple of years back, so should be able to fill in some of the huge gaps I've left.

Andy

• Like 3

Ah thanks. Hmm, mud and stuff yeah? :) Time to hone some weathering skills perhaps..?

Nice with the tubes, never used any of those ona  kit - this might be the best opportunity!

I read somewhere ona  decal sheet that some bird was an ex-Brazilian one (iirc) so seems like if they got used ones, they also handed them back.. I might be wrong though. Need to read more..

2 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Not sure how accurate the markings are, but the Kiko/Revell P-47  had an NMF machine on the box - most attractive artwork IMHO!

There are a couple on that decal sheet I order, looking basically like that. Hold on!

Edit: Here!

• Like 1

I have a book on Brazillian aircraft in WW2. I'll add some photos here shortly....

Cancel that - It was a book on Mexican WW2 aircraft and their P47s used in ww2,

Edited by Richard Tucker
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JWM said:

For 1/48 there is a nice decal set for both OD/NG and NMF

https://www.hpmhobbies.com/fcm-brazilian-p-47-thunderbolts-jambock-squadron-decals-1-48/

If you just google "Brasilian P47" several dozens of  photos appears

Regards

J-W

Yes, I ordered that one from Hannants. :) Thanks! Great links

And pics of the enlarged 75 gal tank too. ^^

40 minutes ago, Richard Tucker said:

I have a book on Brazillian aircraft in WW2. I'll add some photos here shortly....

Cancel that - It was a book on Mexican WW2 aircraft and their P47s used in ww2,

If you don´t mind, show some? For me they feel the same-ish, as an ignorant Nordic dude.. A bunch of dudes from South America (well..) flying P-47s in Italy (?)..

I knew they did as well, just havemn´t checked them out - but would love to.

• Like 1

A Brazilian infantry division was assigned to the US Fifth Army if IIRC; so, it makes sense that there would be several squadrons of the Brazilian air force as support to them and the Allied forces.

• Like 2

Brazilian P-47s were lend-lease aircraft, and as such they were painted OD/NG on production line. USAAF P-47s were NMF-ed at the time.

Any American Bubbletop with camouflage on was painted in the field, or acquired from Brazilian unit (or French, but I don't recall any example).

Not necessarily in whole. The famous Raymond Knight's 'Oh Johnnie' of the 350th FG is a good example of ex Brazilian fuselage with new NMF wings fitted.

• Like 3

On 10/12/2021 at 10:37 AM, Paramedic said:

..aaand they were not even in the MTO, oops. ;) Might as well leave that so I look like the absolute noob I am..

But I´ll check them up too - P-47s are P-47s..

I only found out about the Mexican war time P-47s when I was looking for info on the Brzilian ones two days ago. I know Mexico used them in NMF post war because I have an Aztec decal sheet with them on, but I didn't know they started in the Pacific theatre. 

Andy

• Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 6:33 AM, Paramedic said:

For me they feel the same-ish, as an ignorant Nordic dude.. A bunch of dudes from South America (well..) flying P-47s in Italy (?)..

Mexicans are going to be VERY surprised to be considered South Americans... 

I have a booklet (with decals in 1/72 and 1/48 including not only P-47 but also B-25, Piper Cubs... and a Kubelwagen!) about the "Jambocks", I can post info or pictures if required. BTW, the link to w2aircraft.net sites translates "Senta a Pua!" as "Says the Pua!". Unless is some local expression I am not aware of, the translation is "Feel the talon!", but I know nothing about the fighting habits of ostriches...

• Like 2

IIRC, all of the P-47's that the Brazilians flew were hand me downs from USAAF squadrons, and I am sure there were areas painted with fresh OD to cover codes, nose art, etc. carried by the donor aircraft. The Mexican 201st FS initially flew P-47D's handed down from the USAAF 310th FS, but at some point received 25 brand-new P-47D-30's. 

Mike

• Like 2

There were no camouflaged Bubbletop P-47s produced for USAAF. Remember every aircraft on the line was predestined to specific TO including information was it the standard order or replacement one. At the time there was no reason to paint the plane except the lend-lease orders. That does not mean there were no corrections after leaving the gates of the factory. AFAIK Mexican aircraft were transfered from USAAF as were many of the RAF birds. But I don't know much about Mexican unit.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 6:37 PM, Paramedic said:

Thanks. :) I love that - ostrich? I need coffee for that read.. ;)

the legend senta a pua (sorry about the spelling) translated loosely into ‘Let Them Have It’

• Like 2

Thanks. :) I got the decals today and they look good. Seems enough for quite a few birds! Loads of profiles.. Dunno why i got so hyped about them - but I was! Something new and fresh? The nice coloured tail, the emblem? Or did I think of those Brazilian bikini chickz built like P-47s?? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Today I fiund a large set of photos of Brazilian P47s (among other Brazilian aviation photos)   here: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/damopabe/2751645976/

On none of them I noticed the Brazilian insignia (painted without whiata US bars) on both wings, thay are always present on one, like US machine have. 

The decals https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/Republic-P-47-D-Thunderbolt-Brazil-Air-Force-in-Italy-1945.html#gallery_start suggest 6 position markings, if I understand them correctly.  

Anybody knows he photo with all six position insignias?

Regards

J-W

• Like 1