Aircraft I've Flown Part III - 1/144 Revell B767-336 Double Build

The wings and tail planes are now completed. First up are the tailplanes - the colour difference in the corogard should not be an issue, as the decals are all on the underside so will not be seen in comparison with the painted upper surfaces:

qq.jpg

And the wings:

ww.jpg

Hopefully a concerted effort will get these finished soon!😀

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

As a big fan or jetliners in the modelling world I will keep an eye on this trend for sure! I was actually quite curious how the reboxing of the 767 would look like. I didn't saw no one so far! The decals from Ben are very good! I will use them also for my A310. 

Continue the good job! I'm quite curious with this double building! 

• Like 1

On 28/10/2022 at 14:24, Diogo Monteiro said:

Continue the good job! I'm quite curious with this double building!

Hi Diogo.

It's funny that you should post on this thread, as I was just about to do a long overdue update!

There is not that much to report, but a bit more progress has been made. I'm now building the engines, which is the last sub-section to be assembled.

The fans and exhausts were sprayed with Alclad - Aluminium for the front and stainless steel for the rear:

fns.jpg

These were then glued into the cowls, which had been sprayed grey on the insides:

ei.jpg

Finally these were glued together to produce the finished engines:

76e.jpg

Not 100% accurate, but clearly RR-RB211's.

Painting is next!

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Progress is slow on this build but gradually continuing...🙂

The engines are still awaiting paint, as it's just been too darn cold to use a rattle can outdoors! Once these are sprayed I can get them attached and I think the models will be ready for an RFI. Hopefully quite soon, if the weather warms up!

In the meantime, there are a few improvements I have made to the decals. The underwing registration on G-BNWU has been tweaked, using the Revell's decal for G-BMWR as a pattern - the new one (immediately above the two 'Sweden' decals) looks more authentic to me. The two 'Sweden' titles are for the rear fuselage and the 'Flower Field/Blomsterang' decals underneath will go one the nose. These were all re-printed using the correct font and look much better than the supplied decals to the right of my reprints:

swed.jpg

This build is on the home straight now, so I'm hoping an RFI is imminent!

• Like 2

On 19/12/2022 at 11:31, keefr22 said:

Looking forward to that Matt! :)

Cheers Keith!

Not quite as imminent as I had hoped, as I’ve just (very belatedly) realised that the fuselage graphics on G-BNWR are slightly different from G-BNWB which is the “Chelsea Rose” scheme provided in the box…

NWR has ‘England’ titles on the rear fuselage and the artist’s signature is a different size to that on NWB. I guess I’m back to custom decal production again to make the new ones that I need! 🤔

It might still be an RFI this year, that depends upon how busy family life becomes! 😂

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Strangely enough, life was busy and I've barely looked at a model for three weeks!

First update of 2023 and a belated Happy New Year to you. I will start with a quick image to illustrate the point I made on my previous post:

twin.jpg

G-BNWB on the left is the version depicted correctly in the Revell box; G-BNWR is the version I am building, complete with the "England" titles and the artist's signature over the door. Some work with Photoshop will soon recreate these elements...

The model of G-BNWU has a few differences (besides the different artwork on the fin!) - the "Sweden" titles and the artist's signature are now placed to the left of the door and the registration markings are moved forwards by about a window width:

stall.jpg

Here's how mine currently look. They both need a few more details to be added and the Royal Mail logo needs to be moved to the correct position!

two.jpg

Tantalisingly close to completion, but not quite in time for 2022!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's still too cold to get the engines sprayed, so I've concentrated on getting the final decals designed.

The first picture shows the 'Sweden' titles re-sized to match the ones supplied by V1 Decals. These ones were the correct size but printed in the wrong font - compare the two titles below marked by the red line:

sw11.jpg

I also re-sized the 'Pierce Casey' signature, which now matches the first image in my previous post:

sw21.jpg

Once happy, I made a test print with all the new titles that are required. These were then cut out and compared to the model as a final check:

dek2.jpg

Decals for my Meteor project are also on the sheet - I don't like to waste an A4 decal sheet with used areas!

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

The weather has improved enough to allow this thread to be resurrected! I was waiting for some warmer temperatures so I could spray the engines and have finally made some progress... First job was to spray the pylons:

pyl.jpg

These were then masked:

py2.jpg

And the nacelles were sprayed with the blue:

bluu.jpg

The inlets have been masked for the next task, which is to paint them aluminium.

These models will be finished soon, so inspired my the work @Brigbeale has been doing, I think I might refurbish this old one next!

refurb.jpg

I have all the bits, so it should make an interesting project. However, I'm not starting this one until the first two are done - it's time to get them finished!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Painting the engines is now complete. The aluminium anti-ice rings around the cowl inlets have been done:

slvr.jpg

Then the very back ends were painted with a silver ring, before getting masked for a coat of gunmetal:

rng.jpg

Final coat of paint applied:

gmt.jpg

Ready for the final reveal:

ptd.jpg

Some decals will bring these to life! Talking of which, the last few home-made decals for the fuselage are now ready:

dcls.jpg

Time for the final push!

• Like 5

On 10/04/2023 at 10:10, keefr22 said:

A four engine 767 would have been entertaining I'd bet...!! :)

Sounds like a 747! 😁

On 10/04/2023 at 10:10, keefr22 said:

Nice paintwork there Matt, very tidy! 

Thank you!

The final push has happened, starting with the fuselage decals shown above. The respective artwork names were applied to the nose:

blcr.jpg

And the artists' signatures and country of origin applied to the tails, using reference pictures to get these into the correct positions:

swen.jpg

Then it was time to finish the engine decals. Revell supply some very nice decals, including RR logos:

rr2.jpg

However, (me being me!) I decided to have a go at making my own... This was mainly for practice, as I might need a few more of these in the future for other builds!

My production techniques are limited, as I cannot print white ink (see the previous discussion on this thread about the registration markings on the nose gear doors for more more details about this), so I printed these decals onto clear paper then supplied a separate white background. I did this by chopping up a spare blank white decal, making it the correct shape to fit under the homemade decal. The picture below shows the white decals in place, with the RR decals waiting to go on: 

rr1.jpg

In case of any problems, I did this with the inboard logos only, using the supplied Revell decals on the more obvious outboard side of the engine! I needn't have worried though, as this technique worked perfectly and you can barely see any difference.

Once finished, the engines were attached to the wings. Some needed more persuasion than others!

rr3.jpg

Once the engines had set, it was time to build up the undercarriage components:

rr4.jpg

Before attaching the wings - one side at a time:

tilt.jpg

Then for the first time, they stood on their own legs:

up.jpg

The tailplanes slotted into place without needing any glue - the interference fit was adequate:

tails.jpg

And finally the fuselage beacons were painted red, bringing this build to an end:

dun.jpg

Thanks very much for your company during these builds, which was a very pleasant process (albeit a bit longer than expected!).

The kit does have a few shortcomings but that is forgivable, given its age. It certainly builds up into a very respectable rendition of the BA 767-336 with a bit of effort. The modern 'Chelsea Rose' boxing has some beautiful decals too, which really bring this model to life.

Due to the Rolls Royce engine configuration, I suspect the Revell kit is the best option for a BA 767. Zvezda make the kit too, but not with RR engines...

My next project will be the renovation of my older 767 model, shown earlier in the thread. Hopefully a much quicker task!

The RFI will follow as soon as I get time to take the photos!

• Like 10

Beautiful paint/decal work there Matt, very nice indeed. Brings back memories of many transatlantic crossings in the 767 a few years back, both BA and AA as I recall.

Terry

• Thanks 1

Hi Matt

Thank you for sharing your journey with us, for detailing all the various "highs" and "lows" !

Your articles are always so well-written, easy to follow and the superb photos always enhance the process.

I've found this 767 piece both inspiring and informative, not least the sections on producing your own colourful decals.

Your models have turned out beautifully and are genuine works of art; a real credit to you.

I'm very jealous of your modelling skills and patience.......I guess that practice-makes-perfect - or as close to perfection as our hobby will allow.

Best wishes, and hope that the Dreamliner flying is still enjoyable and going well !

Donald

Edited by aircraftkit
spelling correction
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful builds Matt, I loved working on the 767's (and the 757's more so!), both superb aircraft and much missed. Getting to Gate 5 at Terminal 1 on a busy Friday night to see a 767 on the Glasgow run was always a relief as there was no worry about not getting on!

Love your builds, must get one of mine done soon too.

Eng

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/04/2023 at 19:58, keefr22 said:

Couple of cracking models there Matt, really nice work!

Thanks Keith!

On 15/04/2023 at 19:38, mitchem said:

Excellent stuff Matt.

Cheers Mike.👍

On 16/04/2023 at 09:10, aircraftkit said:

Thank you for sharing your journey with us, for detailing all the various "highs" and "lows" !

Your articles are always so well-written, easy to follow and the superb photos always enhance the process.

I've found this 767 piece both inspiring and informative, not least the sections on producing your own colourful decals.

Your models have turned out beautifully and are genuine works of art; a real credit to you.

I'm very jealous of your modelling skills and patience.......I guess that practice-makes-perfect - or as close to perfection as our hobby will allow.

Best wishes, and hope that the Dreamliner flying is still enjoyable and going well !

Thank you very Donald, you're very kind and I'm glad you found this build useful.

My models are nowhere near perfect (there are some true masters on this website!), but I try to make them to the best of my ability and have fun during the process - that's the most important part. The Dreamliner is a genuinely a dream to fly and goes to some very interesting places - I think I might be on this fleet for quite a few years!

On 16/04/2023 at 20:37, eng said:

Beautiful builds Matt, I loved working on the 767's (and the 757's more so!), both superb aircraft and much missed. Getting to Gate 5 at Terminal 1 on a busy Friday night to see a 767 on the Glasgow run was always a relief as there was no worry about not getting on!

Love your builds, must get one of mine done soon too.

Thanks Eng! As a GLA commuter, I know exactly what you mean! 😆

On 19/04/2023 at 19:53, FortyEighter said:

Two cracking builds here Matt, it's been a long thread but the end results reflect the time and care that you've taken.

Thanks Mike, but possibly a reflection on how slowly I build!

I've finally posted the RFI for these two; here's the link if you would like to take a look:

Thanks again for your company along the way, it's been a pleasure!