Aircraft I've Flown Part III - 1/144 Revell B767-336 Double Build

10 hours ago, stever219 said:

Which of the Tui 757s have you got in? We flew to and from Cyprus in G-OOBN...

...sadly, you won't be able to buy a ticket on her, or 'BP anymore, both here undergoing conversions.

Edit, just seen these, seems TUI have retired the type folowing Jet2 earlier this summer,

https://simpleflying.com/tui-boeing-757-retirement/#:~:text=The UK's TUI Airways retired,-300ER%2C and the B787.

https://www.newsflare.com/topic/exjet2

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

A bit more filling, sanding and priming has taken place. Here are the nose sections:

frt.jpg

More work needed around the windscreens, but that's not unusual!

I'm not sure what the indents are in the area ahead of the wing route? I don't remember those on the real thing... Possibly to indicate the position of valves or probes, but they look massive!

Here are the rears:

bck.jpg

Again, more indents below the rear doors on both sides - why?

Finally the tops of the fuselages:

top.jpg

Still a couple of visible sink marks to fill a bit more, then another coat of filling primer to help eradicate the panel lines.

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

PS have you got a Zvezda 757 for your fleet yet ?!

Not yet - I thought I should clear the stash a bit first! I do have the Eastern Express 757 sitting around somewhere, so will build that first!

• Like 5

It's definitely not a case of the older white yellowing, it was an off-white. BA moved to a brilliant white in 2013. They introduced the crest alongside the fuselage British Airways titles at the same time. The crest was also applied to a few of the fleet which at the time still bore the older, creamier, paint.

It was referenced in this thread on Airliners.net.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2021 at 6:58 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

A bit more filling, sanding and priming has taken place. Here are the nose sections:

frt.jpg

More work needed around the windscreens, but that's not unusual!

I'm not sure what the indents are in the area ahead of the wing route? I don't remember those on the real thing... Possibly to indicate the position of valves or probes, but they look massive!

Here are the rears:

bck.jpg

Again, more indents below the rear doors on both sides - why?

Finally the tops of the fuselages:

top.jpg

Still a couple of visible sink marks to fill a bit more, then another coat of filling primer to help eradicate the panel lines.

Not yet - I thought I should clear the stash a bit first! I do have the Eastern Express 757 sitting around somewhere, so will build that first!

Could those holes be for inspection lights, aircrew for the use of whilst in flight?  The two 763s in the walkaround pages seem to have different arrangements and numbers of these features and some odd places (e.g lower rear fuselage) but that's what they appear to me to be.

Edited by stever219

On 24/10/2021 at 19:42, buzz said:

And I'm keen to know what you choose, I've got a number (okay, lots...😁) of the pre-bright-white ones to paint!

I think I'll start with just Halford's white primer, with a gloss varnish over it, to see how that looks... It's the next stage of painting and if I'm lucky it might look correct without a topcoat!🤞

On 24/10/2021 at 22:30, stever219 said:

Could those holes be for inspection lights, aircrew for the use of whilst in flight?  The two 7y3s in the walkaround pages seem to have different arrangements and numbers of these features and some odd places (e.g lower rear fuselage) but that's what they appear to me to be.

Maybe...? I will do some more research later and see if there is an obvious reason for those indents.👍

I have started work on the wings, which are crisply molded:

wgs.jpg

Confirmation that the kits originally date from 1992:

192.jpg

I will get these assembled and see how they look. I also noticed a minor problem on another sprue - a broken bogie:

brk.jpg

There's no sign of the missing bit (which was from the old kit bought on eBay), so I will cannibalise a piece from another kit - probably a 747 from the stash, as I need to build some of those with the wheels up and on a stand purely as I will run out of display space otherwise! 😁

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Hi Matt

Regarding the mystery indents on the fuselage:

- The ones ahead of the wing seem to coincide with the location of the Wing Illumination Lights and the Static Ports on the 767-300ER.

- The ones under the rear fuselage roughly coincide with some of the Ground Servicing Connections - e.g. water and lavatory

Maybe the original modelmaker simply over-emphasised these details.

I'd fill them and use the detail decals that are normally provided.

Great work - following this one too!

Cheers

Tim

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much @Timo and welcome along!

Having just looked at multiple images on the web I'm inclined to agree with you. Whatever they are, they are definitely over-emphasised so I will do as you suggest and get rid of them when I next look at these kits.👍

Progress on this project will slow down a bit now, as I'm back to work tomorrow morning after 18 months away from from the flight deck - getting a new type rating will take priority!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Thanks very much @Timo and welcome along!

Having just looked at multiple images on the web I'm inclined to agree with you. Whatever they are, they are definitely over-emphasised so I will do as you suggest and get rid of them when I next look at these kits.👍

Progress on this project will slow down a bit now, as I'm back to work tomorrow morning after 18 months away from from the flight deck - getting a new type rating will take priority!

All the best, have any choice in the matter or is it a case of what the bosses above decide they need more pilots for? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

All the best for tomorrow buddy - 18 months holy heck now that’s long old time!

Thank Iain. It’s been long enough, time to return!😬

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

All the best, have any choice in the matter or is it a case of what the bosses above decide they need more pilots for? 

Thanks Stu. It’s a bit of both - I requested the 787 as my top choice and that’s the course I’m starting in the morning. If there were no requirements for pilots on that fleet the airline would have moved down my list of preferences until they found one with vacancies. I’m quite happy with the Dreamliner!

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Great to hear you are going back to the flight deck Matt. I wish you all the best and don't forget to keep us posted!

Cheers Terry! I will still post, just not quite so much as before! Hopefully by January I’ll be fully trained and will have more spare time again - until then it will be a bit busy…! 😉

• Like 6

Excellent, heard the 787 is a pilots dream and indeed quite similar to 767 despite the size increase, good luck. Always could have been told you were wanted on the A32- family. Also not being part of the piloting fraternity so can’t be certain but heard it’s theres quite a bit of overlap by design between the 787 and 777 so probably simple enough to get a quadruple type rating (or has the 757/767 rating expired?)  the opportunity arise. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I requested the 787 as my top choice

My wife and I flew on the Dreamliner back in 2019 with BA to Tokyo - one of the best experiences I've had in any airliner!

Great first choice!

Terry

• Like 1

Great news and my best wishes to you Matt on your type rating certificate.

I flew once on a Qatar Airways Dreamliner.

Very comfortable and I was quite surprised how fast the take off was...Spooling up engines,start rolling...and off it went like a rocket

• Thanks 1

Hi Matt

Brilliant news getting your first choice aircraft - best of luck with the training.

Out of interest, do you end up with a type rating covering the whole 787 fleet - 787-8, 787-9 & 787-10?, or is it one type at a time?

Cheers

Tim

• Thanks 1

Really glad to hear you're starting on my old ride, the Dreamliner. I found it an absolute joy, beautifully harmonised FBW, fantastic avionics and custom displays, and the smoothest, quietest ride ever. Just remember she is totally unforgiving on the electrical systems side, make sure you operate her exactly as the expanded preflight checklist says! It was a shock coming off ten years on the 777 (which you literally just jump in, startup and go), the 78 requires a little more respect (okay, a LOT more) but flies like a bird. It's probably the one airliner I've hand flown the most in my entire career despite having the fewest hours, thanks to the HUD and flight controls. Lovely handling and greasy landings all the way! 

Most of the cabin crew absolutely hate it though, hence the Screamliner nickname 😂

Good luck with your course 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 01/11/2021 at 19:12, PhantomBigStu said:

Excellent, heard the 787 is a pilots dream and indeed quite similar to 767 despite the size increase, good luck. Always could have been told you were wanted on the A32- family. Also not being part of the piloting fraternity so can’t be certain but heard it’s theres quite a bit of overlap by design between the 787 and 777 so probably simple enough to get a quadruple type rating (or has the 757/767 rating expired?)  the opportunity arise.

Thanks Stu.👍 There’s a fair number of ex-767 crew on the 787; many bid for the 787 when the 767 fleet was winding down. All of the previous type ratings are still in my license, but none of them are current…

On 01/11/2021 at 19:39, Terry1954 said:

My wife and I flew on the Dreamliner back in 2019 with BA to Tokyo - one of the best experiences I've had in any airliner!

Great first choice!

Thanks Terry, glad I picked a good aircraft! 😁

On 02/11/2021 at 09:03, 71chally said:

Great news Matt, bet you can't wait to get back in to the seat!

Thanks James - you’re right! It was a long time to be off, with no certainty about the future…

On 02/11/2021 at 11:13, Alex1978 said:

Great news and my best wishes to you Matt on your type rating certificate.

I flew once on a Qatar Airways Dreamliner.

Very comfortable and I was quite surprised how fast the take off was...Spooling up engines,start rolling...and off it went like a rocket

Thanks Alex.👍

On 02/11/2021 at 12:32, Timo said:

Brilliant news getting your first choice aircraft - best of luck with the training.

Out of interest, do you end up with a type rating covering the whole 787 fleet - 787-8, 787-9 & 787-10?, or is it one type at a time?

Cheers Timo. All three variants will be included in the type rating. 🙂

On 02/11/2021 at 17:53, keefr22 said:

Great news Matt, how long will the type training take? Dreamliner is a beautiful looking jet - and as they say if it looks right, it'll fly right! :)

Hi Keith. It’s around three weeks of classroom ground school, three weeks of simulator training, then a month of flying the spread aircraft with a training captain. This should all be finished sometime in January. It’s a sleek looking machine, with the nose being very reminiscent of a DH Comet!

11 hours ago, Alan P said:

Really glad to hear you're starting on my old ride, the Dreamliner. I found it an absolute joy, beautifully harmonised FBW, fantastic avionics and custom displays, and the smoothest, quietest ride ever. Just remember she is totally unforgiving on the electrical systems side, make sure you operate her exactly as the expanded preflight checklist says! It was a shock coming off ten years on the 777 (which you literally just jump in, startup and go), the 78 requires a little more respect (okay, a LOT more) but flies like a bird. It's probably the one airliner I've hand flown the most in my entire career despite having the fewest hours, thanks to the HUD and flight controls. Lovely handling and greasy landings all the way! 

Thanks Alan. Day 2 of ground school today and it’s already very apparent that this aircraft is totally different from the more antiquated B747/757/767! I shall look forward to actually flying the machine when the time comes…👍

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

with the nose being very reminiscent of a DH Comet!

Exactly my thought when I first saw one!

18 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

shall look forward to actually flying the machine when the time comes…

Enjoy! And no I'm not envious, no not at all....!! :)

Keith

• Haha 1

On 02/11/2021 at 11:13, Alex1978 said:

Great news and my best wishes to you Matt on your type rating certificate

Indeed! Glad to hear that you will be living up to your membership name.

Watching with interest.

Just out of curiosity, does this mean that there will be another "Aircraft I've flown" build featuring a 787 next year?