Aircraft I've Flown Part III - 1/144 Revell B767-336 Double Build

My workbench is beginning to look relatively empty again(!), as I have a few builds coming to an end... Time to start something new!

I have a couple of Revell 767-300's in the stash. One was picked up on eBay a while ago, when this particular kit (with the Rolls Royce engine option) was getting harder to find. The other was picked up much more recently, after Revell re-released it!

I've built one in the past and it's not too bad. It has a few inaccuracies, which I will attempt to fix along the way.

Here are the two boxes:

box.jpg

The plastic inside is identical, so I'm not sure why the newer version is so much bigger...

The new kit very helpfully comes with BA decals, in the 'Chelsea Rose' livery and depicts G-BNWB. I first flew this aircraft in 2003 as part of my conversion training onto the 757/767 fleet:

lb1.jpg

Commander's names have been pixellated in the interest of GPDR!

Here is the decal sheet supplied with the kit:

cr.jpg

Very crisp and detailed, but I'm not sure why the white elements of the tail design were included - they might need to be removed before application, as I'm sure I will not be able to exactly match the colour!

The older kit will be finished in the 'Sweden' livery, worn by G-BNWU. I first flew in this aircraft in 2004, after completing ETOPS training to allow me to commence flying on the BA long haul network:

lb2.jpg

The decals are from V1 Decals in Canada and look rather good:

swe.jpg

Hopefully work on these two will be underway soon!

• Like 12

On 11/10/2021 at 19:36, Flight Line Media said:

Awesome project! 😍

Thank you!

I had a better look inside the boxes yesterday. The quality of the old kit (re-released in 1992, following the original release in 1991) is indistinguishable from the new kit released this year. 30 years has not affected the tooling at all; they are both very crisp with fine details and minimal flash.👍

The Rolls Royce engines are included as a separate sprue:

sru.jpg

The 2021 release is the lower one, still in the cellophane. The plastic might be a fraction whiter on this one!

The main issue to correct on this model is the location of the doors. BA 767's had four doors on each side, with no over-wing exits. This was different from most other 767 operators, so consequently the location of window openings on this kit is incorrect. Here are the fuselage sides, with the extra windows marked in black and the over wing exits marked in red:

win.jpg

Fortunately both sets of decals have the correct window locations and door configuration, so the simplest fix is to fill the windows and use the decals instead. Some Milliput was added, along with ballast and a rough cockpit bulkhead:

bhd.jpg

The panel lines for the over wing exits will also need filling; I will do this once the halves are joined together.

Finally a picture of G-BNWB's tail in the 'Chelsea Rose' livery, provided by the photographer, José Jorge:

jose.jpg

One of the more popular Utopia designs and used widely across all the fleets. My grateful thanks to José for permitting the use of his image - it's much appreciated.

The next job is getting the fuselages glued together.

• Like 4

I'll follow along as I have fond memories of flying on BA's B767s to and from Montreal.  

The front ends of the RR engine pylons look better with reshaping a little to a flatter profile.

Which paint are you planning to use to replicate the creamier (dirty) white they had on these at the time?

• Like 1

Welcome along Buzz.

I only flew that route once, on the 9th April 2009. Flew out on G-BNWV and returned the next day on G-BNWS. I remember visiting the Olympic park on that trip!

Regarding the paint, I am planning to use Halford's Appliance White. I believe the 767s (and the other aircraft during this period) were delivered with 'normal' white paint which discoloured over time, leaving them looking a little dull.

Before joining the fuselage halves, I needed to build the nose gear bays. Here are the bits:

ucc.jpg

Integral nose gear doors molded into the structure is a novel idea - I'll try not to damage them! They also have prominent sink marks which needed filling...

Once painted and washed with grime, I had these:

uc.jpg

And a few minutes later the bays were built:

bxs.jpg

Installation is next!

• Like 5

The nose gear bays slotted into place quite easily, but with the nose gear poking out forevermore - if I finish the build without snapping these off I'll be amazed! I also fabricated some very basic cockpits:

mk.jpg

I'm not sure if this will even be visible and I might paint the windscreens and use the decals instead - I'll see how it looks later.

I blanked the area above the tail skid, to avoid a hole in the rear:

skd.jpg

Then it was time close the fuselages up:

tw.jpg

Some more filler was added around the windows, to get this area completely smooth. One kit was slightly warped, but nothing too serious.

The windscreens were glued into place next. Maybe those cockpits are a bit more visible (and basic) than desired?

cp.jpg

Next job is getting the seams smoooooth...

• Like 10

Will follow with interest as I have the Chelsea Rose 767 in my stash as well and 6 Zvezda and Revell kits on the go currently.

The Revell kit is nice and simple but I think the Zvezda kit is more accurate,but lacks the RR engine option.

One question I have; The Chelsea Rose version does not have the black wing walk lines on the decal sheet but the older releases do.

Did BA omit those in time or were they still on the wings and Revell/Daco did just forget to add them on the sheet ?

2 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Will follow with interest as I have the Chelsea Rose 767 in my stash as well and 6 Zvezda and Revell kits on the go currently.

The Revell kit is nice and simple but I think the Zvezda kit is more accurate,but lacks the RR engine option.

Based on my 747-8 dual build I would go with Zvezda all the time for future kits - a bit more basic, but much easier to build and very accurate. However, for the 767 I would have to insist on RR engines, which only leaves the Revell option!

2 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

One question I have; The Chelsea Rose version does not have the black wing walk lines on the decal sheet but the older releases do.

Did BA omit those in time or were they still on the wings and Revell/Daco did just forget to add them on the sheet ?

What wing markings do you mean? If it's for the overwing emergency exits, BA was one of the few airlines which did not have these - they had an additional main door just behind the wing instead. Most carriers did not have this door and opted for the smaller emergency exits instead, which are lifted out by the passenger and thrown through the doorway if used in anger... I prefer the BA configuration!

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Had no idea the door format on the BA ones was different, makes my ex BA raf what if one doubly wrong alongside its oversized 787 door decals. Watching along anyway 

Welcome along Stu! BA were certainly in the minority with their door configuration, so an easy mistake to make...

I think for a change I will spray the windscreens and use the decals instead. I've never done this before and it will probably tie in better with the decals for the cabin windows, plus I think the cockpit I made looks too basic... A few sessions of filling, sanding and priming await!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Based on my 747-8 dual build I would go with Zvezda all the time for future kits - a bit more basic, but much easier to build and very accurate. However, for the 767 I would have to insist on RR engines, which only leaves the Revell option!

What wing markings do you mean? If it's for the overwing emergency exits, BA was one of the few airlines which did not have these - they had an additional main door just behind the wing instead. Most carriers did not have this door and opted for the smaller emergency exits instead, which are lifted out by the passenger and thrown through the doorway if used in anger... I prefer the BA configuration!

Welcome along Stu! BA were certainly in the minority with their door configuration, so an easy mistake to make...

I think for a change I will spray the windscreens and use the decals instead. I've never done this before and it will probably tie in better with the decals for the cabin windows, plus I think the cockpit I made looks too basic... A few sessions of filling, sanding and priming await!

I meant those black lines along the corogard panels with the "No Step" markings.

spacer.png

• Like 3

I'll be following along too if I may Matt, for some reason (apart from the 747 of course!) it's my favourite widebody (might be that the three times we took the kids to Florida it was on 767's, but not BA!)

I like most of the World Tails (Chelsea Rose is very nice) but some do confuse me - if you hadn't said the second was Sweden and I'd have had to guess a country just by looking at the tail, I'd have said Mexico....!!! 🤣

On 19/10/2021 at 10:34, Back in the Saddle said:

Regarding the paint, I am planning to use Halford's Appliance White. I believe the 767s (and the other aircraft during this period) were delivered with 'normal' white paint which discoloured over time, leaving them looking a little dull.

There's a thread running in the Civil discussion section regarding the 'dirty' white on Chelsea Rose and the contrast with her bright white nose cone. I weighed in with some vague ideas on how to replicate it, but also that I was recently watching a Youtube live stream from LAX and a BA 777 pitched up and had exactly the same contrast between a bright white nose and 'dirty' white fuselage. I also remember reading somewhere Boeing (at the time of reading it) offered 49 different whites (and you just have to look at the paint racks in Halfords to see the car makers interpretation of 'white'...!!)

On 19/10/2021 at 16:46, Back in the Saddle said:

but with the nose gear poking out forevermore - if I finish the build without snapping these off I'll be amazed!

I may be teaching granny to such eggs but in these cases I cut out a couple of rectangles of plasticard and tape them to the fuselage either side of the gear leg - not foolproof (ask this fool how he knows!) but works most of the time.

12 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

However, for the 767 I would have to insist on RR engines, which only leaves the Revell option!

No idea how good they are, but Braz offers resin 767 RB211's

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

I meant those black lines along the corogard panels with the "No Step" markings.

Thanks Alex, I wasn’t sure if you meant the walkway markings from the overwing exits to the rear of the wing.

The corogard panels with the black lines and “no step” markings were still present on the BA 767’s up until the day they retired. I guess Revell forgot to include these if they were part of the earlier release. Ironically the early kit I have is now without decals, as they were water damaged and went straight in the bin - hence buying the V1 replacement set…

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'll be following along too if I may Matt, for some reason (apart from the 747 of course!) it's my favourite widebody (might be that the three times we took the kids to Florida it was on 767's, but not BA!)

If I had to rate the three Boeings that I’ve flown, the 767 would win by a mile for general handling - it was an absolute delight to fly, with very light but positive controls. It was, however, not very forgiving when landing - the standard arrival was firm, due to the angle of the main undercarriage bogies (the front wheels hung lower than the rear wheels, resulting in a thud nearly every time!)

The 757 won in terms of performance. I positioned an empty 757 from LHR many years ago. The climb out angle was around 30° and the rate of climb was incredible. We levelled off at 6,000’ before reaching the far end of runway 27L and had a suitably appreciative comment from the tower controller!

The 747 wins in every other conceivable category! 😃

I like most of the World Tails (Chelsea Rose is very nice) but some do confuse me - if you hadn't said the second was Sweden and I'd have had to guess a country just by looking at the tail, I'd have said Mexico....!!! 🤣

I can see the confusion! I’m still hoping to stumble across the Mexican artwork in the BA archives - I’m sure this would have been commissioned but not used, due to the ‘Utopia’ livery getting cancelled…

Regarding the white, I’ll have a read of that thread. Maybe they were a dirty white when delivered? I joined the 767 fleet in 2003, so they had been in that livery for a few years - I assumed they were a whiter white when new!

I will also look at protecting the nose legs as described…👍

If anybody has a review of the Braz engines I would be interested to hear opinions. I could be tempted by those…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the explanation regarding the black lines and corogard panels.I should have some left in my spares,so this can be solved easely.

Regarding the rengines.

Maybe you want to check also on ebay the ones from Druz.

His resin engines he offers for quite a selection of airliners seem IMHO much better than the Braz parts.

The are a bit more expensive but also include an extensive detail decalset 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

the 767 would win by a mile for general handling

Could I ask you a question Matt? The three flights we had on 767's were all in the good old days pre-9/11 when you could ask to visit the flightdeck and if you had an amenable captain this would always be granted. On our last flight to Florida we had a really good flightcrew and as no other passengers seemed to want to go up front the Captain and F.O. let my son and I stay for a good hour and half! I asked the Captain whether it bothered him flying long overwater trips in a twin - turned out he was an ex FAA Gannet pilot and he said he was well used to flying over the ocean with one engine shut down! Anyway, he then said the only time he'd had to divert (into Iceland) was when all but one of the toilets became inoperative and either CAA (or company, don't recall which) regulations mandated a minimum number to be usable depending on pax load. I always assumed it was true but also wonder if he was pulling my leg! So is it actually a thing....?! :)

Keith

• Like 3

I'm not sure how I missed this thread Matt, but I just had a really good catch up. Notwithstanding the fine start on the 767's, my beady eyes were drawn to the top log book entries from September 03 and July 04, in the Vampire T11. Not well known in BA livery of course! 🤔

I started to contemplate the BA types I have been carried around the world in as a passenger, and your mention of the performance of the 757, made me realise I don't recall ever travelling in one, BA or otherwise. That take off performance sounds awesome and I'd love to experience something like that, although I can't complain as I did get one flight in Concorde from London to New York sometime after the tragic Paris crash, but before it was withdrawn in 2003. BA were doing free upgrades for business class travellers outbound, so I got lucky. I do recall the take off performance in that being quite spectacular, and I reckon we were only a third full with passengers! BA were having trouble filling the seats post that awful crash.

Will stick with this thread and see these lovely two beauties evolve.

Terry

• Like 2

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

turned out he was an ex FAA Gannet pilot and he said he was well used to flying over the ocean with one engine shut down! Anyway, he then said the only time he'd had to divert (into Iceland) was when all but one of the toilets became inoperative...

I know Gannets are chunky, but a toilet onboard aswel!

Great to see your 767-336 build here Matt, it was a type I was completely untouched by until BA retired most of the final fleet here at St Athan.  We were surprised by the emotions of many of the delivery crews (not quite on the 747 level!), so obviously it was type held in high regard.

Cracking work going on with yours here already, and great to see you logbook entries!

Talking of 757s, I adore them, real classic lines and superb performance, luckily most of the ones that have been to St Athan have departed again. @Terry1954 If you are keen to get a ride I would book with Tui soon, before they disappear, a couple of their 757s are here undergoing freighter conversion as we speak.  Jet2, might still operate them aswel?

28047010350_24a05c6b1e_b.jpg

Boeing 767 -336(ER) G-BNWM by James Thomas, on Flickr

43448146232_785822c155_b.jpg

Boeing 767 -336(ER) G-BNWA by James Thomas, on Flickr

44790753271_383070d72b_b.jpg

Boeing 767 -336(ER) F-HILU ex G-BNWI Open Skies BA by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

know Gannets are chunky, but a toilet onboard aswel!

Ha ha ha.... :rolleyes: 🤣

Cracking pics again James,superb stuff!

Agree on the 757's too - especially the 300's with winglets, one of my favourite ever airliners. Taken to watching a number of live U.S airport streams recently and it's great to see Delta and United still using them - and 763's too!

Keith

edit: is it just my eyes or is the nosecone 'whiter' on all of the BA jets, especially noticeable on WA....?

• Like 1

On 22/10/2021 at 12:56, Alex1978 said:

Thank you for the explanation regarding the black lines and corogard panels.I should have some left in my spares,so this can be solved easely.

Regarding the rengines.

Maybe you want to check also on ebay the ones from Druz.

Thanks Alex. I will probably design some decals for the corogard - this worked well on my A380 build, so I think that is the best option for this one too.

I checked out the Druz engines but they're very pricey... Braz look to be OK and much cheaper. Or I might stick with OOB?

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Could I ask you a question Matt? The three flights we had on 767's were all in the good old days pre-9/11 when you could ask to visit the flightdeck and if you had an amenable captain this would always be granted. On our last flight to Florida we had a really good flightcrew and as no other passengers seemed to want to go up front the Captain and F.O. let my son and I stay for a good hour and half! I asked the Captain whether it bothered him flying long overwater trips in a twin - turned out he was an ex FAA Gannet pilot and he said he was well used to flying over the ocean with one engine shut down! Anyway, he then said the only time he'd had to divert (into Iceland) was when all but one of the toilets became inoperative and either CAA (or company, don't recall which) regulations mandated a minimum number to be usable depending on pax load. I always assumed it was true but also wonder if he was pulling my leg! So is it actually a thing....?! :)

Hi Keith.

Sounds genuine to me. If the toilet system develops a fault and you cannot flush them, things can get messy on a long flight... I've heard of diversions on the 767 for this reason in the past - sometimes for the simple reason that the toilet tank was not emptied before the flight...! :shocked:

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm not sure how I missed this thread Matt, but I just had a really good catch up. Notwithstanding the fine start on the 767's, my beady eyes were drawn to the top log book entries from September 03 and July 04, in the Vampire T11.

Hi Terry.

I haven't flown the Vampire for a few years, but that was a great aeroplane to fly. Work and family commitments put a stop to that!

I started to contemplate the BA types I have been carried around the world in as a passenger, and your mention of the performance of the 757, made me realise I don't recall ever travelling in one, BA or otherwise. That take off performance sounds awesome and I'd love to experience something like that, although I can't complain as I did get one flight in Concorde from London to New York sometime after the tragic Paris crash, but before it was withdrawn in 2003. BA were doing free upgrades for business class travellers outbound, so I got lucky. I do recall the take off performance in that being quite spectacular, and I reckon we were only a third full with passengers! BA were having trouble filling the seats post that awful crash.

Concorde was described by some of the pilots on the fleet as a jet fighter with a passenger cabin attached to the back!

Having managed to fly on Concorde in 2003 just before her retirement, I can confirm the acceleration on take off was the most impressive of any aircraft I have experienced. Deceleration on landing was pretty spectacular too!

Will stick with this thread and see these lovely two beauties evolve.

It will be great to have you along!

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

Great to see your 767-336 build here Matt, it was a type I was completely untouched by until BA retired most of the final fleet here at St Athan.  We were surprised by the emotions of many of the delivery crews (not quite on the 747 level!), so obviously it was type held in high regard.

Cracking work going on with yours here already, and great to see you logbook entries!

Thanks James and great to see you here. You realise that I will now expect a liberal sprinkling of BA 767 photos from you...! 😉 You've made a good start on that front!

The 767 fleet was a great place to work. Not as glamorous as some of the other fleets, but a fantastic group of pilots and some brilliant destinations too.

Back to the build with a small update. I'm still working on the fuselage seams, with a mixture of model filler and Halford's filling primer - the yellow colour comes from the later and makes the models look like they have an experimental Aurigny livery!

aur.jpg

The 727 is the subject of an article I'm putting together in the decal section of the forum, explaining in more depth how I make my custom decals. That thread is here if you want to read more - it's a WIP and might take a while to complete!

I have subsequently removed all the antennas from the 767 kits, as they were located incorrectly. It is also making the sanding process far easier! I have also decided to use decals for the windscreens, so the front end will get a blast of primer too.

• Like 5

Cracking pics again James,superb stuff!

Here here!

edit: is it just my eyes or is the nosecone 'whiter' on all of the BA jets, especially noticeable on WA....?

I think it was more prevalent on the 767s, but I have seen it on other types. Maybe the white has discoloured over the years but the nose cones are fresh out of the paint shop?

• Like 1

the nose cones are fresh out of the paint shop?

I was wondering that - or maybe they're a composite with colouring in the mix, so don't discolour like the paint (or are a different white to start with?) Interesting detail for a model though.... :)

sometimes for the simple reason that the toilet tank was not emptied before the flight...! 

Yuck - imagine the overflow....!! 🤣

Thanks for the reply Matt

Keith

PS have you got a Zvezda 757 for your fleet yet ?!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 71chally said:

@Terry1954 If you are keen to get a ride I would book with Tui soon, before they disappear, a couple of their 757s are here undergoing freighter conversion as we speak.  Jet2, might still operate them aswel?

Thanks for the heads up James, I'll have to look into that and sort a trip. Would be a shame to miss that opportunity!

Terry

• Like 1

I think the radome thing, as Keith says, is due to it being a special surface to allow efficient radar function through the composite material.  It was the same on such types as the Victor other aircraft where dielectric panels were painted in the airframe colour, a special neoprene coating and the paint used causes a tone change.

It seems especially noticeable with BA as they seem to use a white on the aircraft that goes dirty and off colour really quickly, we've recently had a load of their A320s show up here and they look awful, apart from the radomes!

A BA painter will now prove me wrong!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

I know Gannets are chunky, but a toilet onboard aswel!

Talking of 757s, I adore them, real classic lines and superb performance, luckily most of the ones that have been to St Athan have departed again. @Terry1954 If you are keen to get a ride I would book with Tui soon, before they disappear, a couple of their 757s are here undergoing freighter conversion as we speak.  Jet2, might still operate them aswel?

28047010350_24a05c6b1e_b.jpg

Boeing 767 -336(ER) G-BNWM by James Thomas, on Flickr

43448146232_785822c155_b.jpg

Boeing 767 -336(ER) G-BNWA by James Thomas, on Flickr

44790753271_383070d72b_b.jpg

Boeing 767 -336(ER) F-HILU ex G-BNWI Open Skies BA by James Thomas, on Flickr

Which of the Tui 757s have you got in?  We flew to and from Cyprus in G-OOBN in August 2019 and my daughter won the informal “keep the pilots occupied and amused” competition on the outward sector with a drawing and a joke.  The landing at Paphos was a bit “sporty”: a very firm touchdown then full reverse thrust and full braking to make the first taxiway from runway to terminal, otherwise we’d have spent another ten or fifteen minutes taxing the long way round to get to the stand.

• Like 2