*done* 'Raskas Stuka' Ju 88 A-4, PLeLv 44 summer 1944

In the first Nordic GB last year I built a Finnish AF Dornier Do 17.

2020-03-01_08-45-32

Since one of the earliest memories I have of reading any aviation history books is Suomen Ilmavoimien Historia SIH 2 about the Do 17 and the Ju 88 in Finnish AF service, it would be rude not to try build a Junkers Ju 88 in the second Nordic GB. 

2021-10-11_11-15-37

Kit, decals, masks, references... should be fun! I have some Finnish inSCALE 72 decals left to decorate her. The Revell 1:72 Ju 88 kits are very good. I have two Luftwaffe Ju 88:s that stalled in the Africa GB, a D-2 and a C-4, maybe they'll get dragged along and KUTA'ed in the process? The last Ju 88 kit in my stash must be spared in case there'd be a Ju 88 STGB next year :whistle: V-P

• Like 12

welcome along VP and with an Ju-88!!!

We haven't had one of these here before, so it's nice to see one here.

I see there is a choice of schemes/patterns, which one are you going to do?

Good luck with the build, looking forward to seeing her being built and it will be a great addition to the Dornier from the last build.

Thanks guys! If you, reading this, have never built the current tooling Revell 1:72 Ju 88 A-1, A-4 or C-6 kit, I think you have missed a treat.

2021-10-14_08-27-55

I have finished three of them, and built three more at least to this stage so far. It's just clickety-click assembling beautifully fitting and well detailed, but not flimsy or über-engineered parts. I confess, I haven't followed the instructed assembly steps, though, and the wings are only pushed in place. There's also the beginning of the cockpit interior in the pic. Nine parts, so far, and I say ONLY nine parts, because Herr Revell has done his best to include as much of crisply molded-on detail than I regard possible. Vorwärts...

• Like 7

• vppelt68 changed the title to Raskas (=heavy) Stuka
15 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Thanks guys! If you, reading this, have never built the current tooling Revell 1:72 Ju 88 A-1, A-4 or C-6 kit, I think you have missed a treat.

I’m certainly tempted, but I have to buy a new house to store the things first... They are huge. 😛

For now I’m happy to follow you build.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

I’m certainly tempted, but I have to buy a new house to store the things first... They are huge. 😛

For now I’m happy to follow you build.

Huge in 1:72? Well that depends, they were the big ones in my cabinet before I built a Lancaster and some B-17:s :rofl2:

Last look at "the colorful interior parts" :winkgrin:

2021-10-17_01-51-35

Now very little of the rainbow remains visible :giggle:

IMG_20211017_172154

Just testing her "beast mode" here - the Hermans are still attached to sprues which will act as painting handles - but the MG-FF is already cemented in place :bomb:

2021-10-17_05-59-43

Now I think I must go and paint a Mustang, a Ford Mustang :coolio:. V-P

• Like 10

"I'm still standing"- status report. Junkers has gained pieces one by one and now it's standing on its own "Legs". I'm actually very close to start painting the lower surfaces :hmmm:No not  yet, I must add the landing light cover before that. The antennas I'll add later, I've learned my lessons! The radiator faces and props are just dry fitted for "the look". V-P

2021-10-31_05-54-43

• Like 5

Yet another one for today. The canopy front piece is not yet attached, I add the masks first. V-P

IMG_20211031_201919

Edit at friday: masks added and various small jobs here and there done. Next stop will be paint shop. I'll decorate this as JK-260.

IMG_20210227_235108

• Like 8

More color to the Junkers.

2021-11-18_11-30-14

I had to come up with a new photo location and camera angle to show in one pic where the 88 stands now. The pic is bad anyway. Lower surfaces need one more layer of light blue and yellow in the wing tips, but I'll paint that only after the upper colors are finished. First layer of green is brushed on, black will be added when the green is thoroughly dry. I draw the demarcation lines with a pencil on the "primer" green, so it must be dry. For the fuselage band I'll cheat again and use a decal. The number of that Humbrol green paint is the same than in my 2020 Do 17 build, but this was an old "super enamel" tin used for the first time. It's still a bit moist, but it looks definitely more olive(sque?) than the previous one. Which might not be that bad, after all. I'm not one of those who'll lose their sleep over a paint hue in a model, anyway :winkgrin:.

The engine radiator faces and props are still only pushed on, I'd be in deep :poop: otherwise because I will add the exhausts only when the painting is done, and it needs to be done via nacelle front opening. And yes, of course I pried loose the second towel rail antenna while masking the fuselage paint demarcation line but I knew that would happen sooner or later.

Haha, you know how it goes... I looked up my Revegawa He 111 instructions and leftover decal sheet so I can decorate the pair of Hermanns (SC1000 bombs). Then I remembered how nice kit the Heinkel was to build and with the Do 17 and Ju 88 F/STGB:s in the calendar for 2022, and nothing suitable left for the Luftwaffe Twins in 2023... you all know what I'm shopping for now :giggle:

V-P

• Like 4

• vppelt68 changed the title to Raskas Stuka
  • 2 weeks later...

Hyvää itsenäisyyspäivää, Reini 🇫🇮

It's taken a backseat to my KUTA build. Just this morning I decided, that if I find time to build anything today as it's the Finnish Independence Day, it will be the Junkers's turn today.

Our beloved Miss Finland, 104 years on your clock and you look oh so beautiful today, as always. I love You. Yours truly, V-P

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • vppelt68 changed the title to *done* 'Raskas Stuka' Ju 88 A-4, PLeLv 44 summer 1944

Mission accomplished, the brothers in arms are together again.

2022-01-09_12-10-48

The Junkers needs some time to dry last drops of its paintwork and then removal of last pieces of masking. Then a few pics from a safe distance and into the gallery she goes, later today. Now I'm off to bed.

Thanks Enzo and all the hosts, this was a pleasure again! V-P

• Like 6