"Caroline" - Eduard P-51D Mustang - 359th fighter group, 370th fighter squadron - 8th Airforce

Just completed this one at the weekend - Eduard's p-51 Mustang. I built the old tamiya kit a couple of years ago and although that is still a great kit, the new Eduard does bring a new level of awesomeness to the table. I really enjoyed this build - it does have plenty of flaws but makes it up for it in terms of detail. Most of the issues can be dealt with easily enough - however the Tamiya kit had a much better approuch to the upper nose section - supplying a one piece component which give you a perfect result - the eduard version has the traditional split fuselage approach which means you need to sand off alot of detail in this area - and it's quite challenging to put the detail back, Other than that, I'd have little to complain about. The cockpit is fantastic oob - surface details are lovely. Another great kit from Eduard. 

Painted with Alclad and Mr Color paints - Oils for the weathering. 

K4e2Bl9.jpg

DmS2IUx.jpg

ZM65Uwt.jpg

V6tTPXO.jpg

WtPsFUS.jpg

g21RHyw.jpg

jEQtQYg.jpg

PP8EJmI.jpg

pHItArj.jpg

2ZwjMGf.jpg

DepFZpz.jpg

Z1Jh6r5.jpg

bdonzMN.jpg

ZCmX3Ag.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Cheers

John

• Like 63
  • Thanks 6

6 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Very realistic. What a great job !!!

Andrés S,

Thanks Andrés

3 hours ago, franky boy said:

Great work John!

How did you achieve the chipping of the black wing bands!

Thanks for sharing. 

James

I used scratch effects from Mig - so the hairspray technique - so masked off the stripes, sprayed the scratch effects - let that dry, then the black - then wet the area and the paint flakes off with a brush. I used tooth picks to chip certain areas. 

4 hours ago, 2lefthands said:

Looks like you`ve had a lot of fun with this kit! Beautiful work!

I sure did :)  it's a very nice kit - so nice I bought another :)

• Like 2

That is beautiful! I love the worn natural metal look you achieved -- I would really like to be able to do that! ;)   The weathering is superb, and the dirt and scuffed wood of the cockpit floor really caught my eye.  Nice work.

• Like 1

John…………My god!!!!!!! :gobsmacked: It`s beautiful!!!!!  As artists and historians, we strive for realism and perfection. That is exactly what you have captured here with your absolutely stunning Mustang. :like:

Mike

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Paramedic said:

She´s wonderful, well done! :)

What green did you use for the unit specific on the nose (ie not the Olive Drab)? Need tips for my upcoming Ray Wetmore´s Daddy´s Girl (same unit it seems)..

Thanks :) That green is Mr Color 122 RLM 82 - which was a call out on the instructions but a good match I think. 

51 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

That is a magnificent "battle worn" veteran.   You've built a wonderful Mustang here, and painted and weathered it to perfection! :clap2:  Is that plumbing in the wheel wells kit-supplied or scratch-built?   That really looks good!  :worthy:

Thanks Gary - the plumbing is just some copper wires that were added after painting the wheel bay - then painted silver - the "tape labels" were just painted on with a detail brush.  Not a huge amount of work and not very accurate - the real thing had a ton of pipes down there so really it's just a nod as opposed to a recreation. It's amazing how adding a few little details like this can lift it up :)

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 10:35 PM, Sky Keg said:

John…………My god!!!!!!! :gobsmacked: It`s beautiful!!!!!  As artists and historians, we strive for realism and perfection. That is exactly what you have captured here with your absolutely stunning Mustang. :like:

Mike

What he said.

Freakin' gorgeous!

This is one of the most effective all-over weathering jobs I've seen...much the more, considering it's on NMF. Truly stellar work.

• Like 1