B-52H Stratofortress

Good day,

I completed the new tooled Academy B-52H Stratofortess earlier today.  Here are the highlights of the kit……….

1. Paint : Model Master Dark Grey FS 36118 - Light Ghost grey FS 36375 - Interior yellow / green, Mission Models White - Tire Black - Olive Drab - Faded Olive Drab, MRP Flat White, Tamiya Chrome Silver - Titanium - Semi Gloss Black

2. Washes : Grey, light grey, black

4. Pastels : black undersurface exhaust streaks 

This is a very nice kit but I took too long to complete it.  I fiddled around far too much and I should have been much more efficient with this kit.  I enjoyed it very much and it goes together without any significant issues.  My researched indicated that modern B-52`s are not all that weathered much with streaks and paint chipping and I reflected it as such with this one. The biggest problem I had was with the complex black striping found on the horizontal stabilizers of B-52`s. They folded over and I simply could not get it back to it`s proper pattern.  Frustrated, I gave up and proceeded without the stripes. The kit supplied decals are a bit thin and are prone to folding over and tearing when placing.  Academy provides a much needed windscreen / clear parts mask which aids greatly.  I always liked the lines of the mighty “Buff” but I learned that 72nd scale offerings are difficult and tricky to assemble.  1 / 144 scale is much more manageable for larger aircraft types such as the B-52.  I highly recommend this kit to all skill levels.  I would consider it to be the finest B-52 in any scale.  

Thank you in advance!!!!!!

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 52

That's a well build Buff you have there and I totally agree with your comments in regards to the Academy kit. It's miles ahead of the GWH B52s in terms of accuracy and hopefully there will other variants, particularly the G. GWH's B-52G is a big disappointment especially the engine pods which are  devoid of details.

Edited by Kampartiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice indeed, The model really captures the look of the B52 perfectly. I can appreciate the time and effort taken in producing this biggy, it couldnt have been easy with those long wings. Did you have to reinforce the wing joints? also I dont think I would have the patience to do all those bombs in 1/144 (in fact any scale!).

Pete

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kampartiger said:

That's a well build Buff you have there and I totally agree with your comments in regards to the Academy kit. It's miles ahead of the GWH B52s in terms of accuracy and hopefully there will other variants, particularly the G. GWH's B-52G is a big disappointment especially the engine pods which are  devoid of details.

Thank you for your kind words.  This is indeed a time where “cheaper ( cost ) is better”.

4 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Very nice indeed, The model really captures the look of the B52 perfectly. I can appreciate the time and effort taken in producing this biggy, it couldnt have been easy with those long wings. Did you have to reinforce the wing joints? also I dont think I would have the patience to do all those bombs in 1/144 (in fact any scale!).

Pete

Thanks Pete!!! I did not have to reinforce the wing joints on this kit.  You have the option of closing the bond bay and not installing the wing pylons which would make for a quicker project.  The weapons certainly slowed me down.

52 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Love it, looks very very good

Thank you!!!! :like:

30 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Very nice, and nicely loaded!

Thank you my friend!!!! 

Thanks again to all!!!! :D

Mike

Nice one Mike. It's helpful to know that the 1/44 Academy kit is such a gem - from my google research, all the 1/72 B52s on offer seem to have some issue or inaccuracy out of the box, which is a crying shame. But this is a more than worthy replacement as you demonstrate, the detail is at least as good as the larger scale. I like your neat paint work and basing.

Pyradus.

• Thanks 1

That is a super job Mike, I'd just about decided on one of these, you've certainly helped make up my mind. The Buff is the sort of iconic big brute no collection should be without but I do agree, 1/144 makes so much more sense for a bit beasty like this. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kapam said:

Looks great! 👍👍

The tarmac base also adds to the whole effect - your own work I assume?

Yes I did create the tarmac base. Originally I made it for Soviet and current Russian types ( henceforth the weeds and cracked pavement ). This was the only base I had large enough to fit this B-52.  The base is from an arts & crafts store that is a colorful table placemat. I flipped it over and painted and detailed the opposite side for the replica tarmac. 

Thank you and to all others who have commented and reacted to this posting for your kind words!!!!:D

Mike

Colonel Caldwell

I had been rather curious to see this model built up. The TF-33 fans look like quite the improvement over previous B-52H offerings.

Now, the $64,000.00 question is...how is the Great Wall kit?

-d-

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, David H said:

Colonel Caldwell

I had been rather curious to see this model built up. The TF-33 fans look like quite the improvement over previous B-52H offerings.

Now, the $64,000.00 question is...how is the Great Wall kit?

-d-

Thanks for the kind words David. As to your question, I refer back to what Kampartiger posted………..

On 10/10/2021 at 8:52 PM, Kampartiger said:

Mike

6 hours ago, David H said:

well.....that sucks.

-d-

David my friend,

Kampartiger knows more about the new GWH B-52 than I do. I am unable to speak with any certainty of the GWH Buff. Hopefully his assessment of the kit provides more information for you. After building this B-52 from Academy, I’m certain you would enjoy it very much. 

Thanks,

Mike

12 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

David my friend,

Kampartiger knows more about the new GWH B-52 than I do. I am unable to speak with any certainty of the GWH Buff. Hopefully his assessment of the kit provides more information for you. After building this B-52 from Academy, I’m certain you would enjoy it very much. 

Thanks,

Mike

i intend to take a close look at it, to ascertain how much work will be required to backdate it to an early B-52 H or G.

-d-

I am thinking of converting the Academy kit into a G variant by using  GWH's B-52G's tail,engine pods and pylons but it's easier said than done as the GWH tail is slightly bigger, the pods as earlier mentioned lack details and so too are the engine pylons.Hopefully there's someone out there who can produce a conversion set for the G. 

2 hours ago, Kampartiger said:

I am thinking of converting the Academy kit into a G variant by using  GWH's B-52G's tail,engine pods and pylons but it's easier said than done as the GWH tail is slightly bigger, the pods as earlier mentioned lack details and so too are the engine pylons.Hopefully there's someone out there who can produce a conversion set for the G. 

I hope to see you do that some day.  Keep me updated.

Thanks,

Mike