1/72 - Airfix - P-40C (Hawk 81A-2) - AVG No 68

Well after a little messing about I have finally worked out how to post one of my first builds in almost 40 years. Thanks to a few suggestions for members on here I have gone with this way of posting my photographs so here goes. Loads of mistakes and the biggest disaster was the total loss of the wheel flaps. I tried to get them glued in place but the kit was not having it. Eventually I gave up and had to go with no flaps. Painted in enamels as I had some paint left over from some other work, so just went with what I had. Did a little chipping on the wing and probably over killed on the weathering so as to cover up the mistakes. First time i have painted cockpit supports. These where hand painted and was pretty chuffed with how they turned out. I have since got some masking tape and intend to use that next time. Yes I used saw dust for the sand and a back drop from the South Pacific show. 

Not great for the first time but hope to improve. Loved working on the kit. Loved painting it, hated putting on the very small decals. I have since bought another of these kits from Airfix and one from Academy and hope to have a go at building it again; when Ive improved, hopefully.

spacer.png

Edited by Valleyforge
My pictures keep disappearing after a few days.
  • Like 27

That´s a great build. Always liked the P-40s and especially the early ones, cooler mouth.. ;)

We all do mistakes 8I think! I do many! ;) )

Nice to hear you started to build again after 40 years, please continue!

Hi,

great P-40!!!

Find me a build that goes without any disaster, small or big...

The next build is always better, anyway.

Great show!

JR

PS: Posting more than 1 photo is encouraged! As I said above: great build.

On 10/11/2021 at 2:20 PM, jean said:

Hi,

great P-40!!!

Find me a build that goes without any disaster, small or big...

The next build is always better, anyway.

Great show!

JR

PS: Posting more than 1 photo is encouraged! As I said above: great build.

Thanks for the encouragement. Next build is on its way and Ive invested in an air brush. this should be fun as Ive never air brushed in my life. 

Yes more pictures next time I post; now Ive got the hang of posting them up with a URL.

Edited by Valleyforge

On 10/10/2021 at 10:54 PM, Paramedic said:

That´s a great build. Always liked the P-40s and especially the early ones, cooler mouth.. ;)

We all do mistakes 8I think! I do many! ;) )

Nice to hear you started to build again after 40 years, please continue!

Thanks a lot for the encouragement. Yes I love the look of the P 40 and had time to go into its history. Such a diverse machine. Ive just got a Corsair on the go and Ive still done mistakes on it. Not as noticeable now. 😄, I think. Yes its a long time a go since my early modelling days and a lot as changed. Unbelievable detail on them compared to the old 70s ones. 

• Like 1

• Valleyforge changed the title to 1/72 - Airfix - P-40C (Hawk 81A-2) - AVG No 68