1/48 Amodel D.H.60M Gypsy Moth Out of Africa Movie Replica

Out of the box build
Paints used - Tamiya

Hi all, I am calling this highly recommended kit done. Yes, if you want to fill your swear box up in record time then this kit will help you achieve it! Poor instructions and some parts that had not a prayer of coming close to fitting made this a frustrating build at times.

However, it's my first go at building a biplane and rigging one. I admit I used some wrapping wire with the insulation stripped off it to rig the model, not sure all of it looks in scale, but the kit had parts that also looked a little out of scale. Weirdly I would build another one of these kits, as I have learned a lot about how they go together and I fancy building the Airfix Tiger Moth in the future.

In the movie the plane appears brand new, however at this scale; it needed a little weathering to stop the "toy like look". I have to thank the ghosts of Denys Finch Hatton and Karen Blixen, who I am sure gave me the will power to complete this build.

I have included some stills from the movie of the plane flying over the African landscape, I hope you enjoy your flight. Happy modelling.

3zFNpna.jpg
A9MxuAB.jpg
0UuayNK.jpg
F9pKk1O.jpg
6HaiiIr.jpg
1NrnglI.jpg
gbOU4EV.jpg
kPs7e77.jpg
CXnY9S3.jpg
teIpPKy.jpg
g39DsBp.jpg
uiw8PSh.jpg
VDyImlo.jpg
fSqxZHT.jpg
NeNHzFP.jpg
ePf6uzm.jpg
JlbWeBj.jpg
JlwoWWu.jpg
axsU1De.jpg
8kiC58k.jpg

• Like 30

Great job on this, crikey you did pick one as your first biplane !!! I built the DH60 Cirrus Moth last year and I know exactly what you mean about filling up the swear box !!! I also did enjoy the experience too.

Great work and great photos 

Chris

• Thanks 1

Really nice, one of my all time favourite movies & the sequences with the Moth in them were just gorgeous, as is your model. Well done for persevering. I have plans to do F-Hs actual one in 1/72, fool that I am.  :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Really nice, one of my all time favourite movies & the sequences with the Moth in them were just gorgeous, as is your model. Well done for persevering. I have plans to do F-Hs actual one in 1/72, fool that I am.  :)

Steve.

Cheers Steve, best of luck building the original version, at least you won't have to swop the exhaust over like the movie version has.

• Like 1