"A METALLIC BEAST", PANTHER AUSF D, ZVEZDA 1/35

Hi Pals,

Now the turn for another old acquaintance, the Panther Ausf D, from the Zvezda brand.

I bought it a long time ago on balance, and although there are now better alternatives (and more expensive ... lol), it is a fairly complete kit.
It includes parts of the barrel, turret basket, accessories on the roof and internal sides of the turret, but really basic, so in the end it did not convince me, because it would have to be completed, and for what in the end it would look ... I gave up, and focused on the outside.

It has transparent parts for the periscopes, although the motor grilles are "mosquito net", and the tow cable is not metallic.

The tracks were somewhat complicated, since the internal "teeth" had to be included, and the resulting structure was really fragile and flimsy, so after early breaks, I decided to use vinyl ones from an old Tamiya kit ...

I saw the camos schemes they suggested, but I didn't like any of them, so I assigned a tritone to it, as I had already done another (Kingtiger Zvezda).

The intended appearance is that of a used but not "defeated" vehicle, with scratches and chips, dry vegetation on the underside and dry mud on the belly ...

I added some spare parts helmets and an ABER metal antenna.

I hope you like it, and thanks as always for watch and comment.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

mSFBvm3.jpg

i1g1YNF.jpg

EONIXuU.jpg

pvWdSu2.jpg

6HTJsGW.jpg

01ASGhE.jpg

GMZVWBY.jpg

pnDk69c.jpg

NreOK4f.jpg

d0YrF2Z.jpg

ARpfIFP.jpg

GQ9siCB.jpg

qc5NrOE.jpg

Xlu3aMv.jpg

kcRXEes.jpg

ZtIeDQF.jpg

NjoD8FW.jpg

VdKC1mW.jpg

UPDATE:

Pals, here I include a suggested painting scheme on a Dragon kit of a Panther D, from a historical unit.
When I painted mine, I admit that I cared less about historical accuracy than about the final result.
Reading the comments about the model, the main criticism (constructive, I hope ... lol), was not the final result, it is that this scheme does not correspond to an Ausf.D, and based on that, I considered changing its painting on the other hand, if it respected the historical period, although I don't know when, with so much material in the stash ... lol.

Now, coincidentally, looking for new kits, I have seen this camo, and based on that, I will no longer change the model in the future, as it is perfectly plausible with reality.

Thank everyone who has commented on that point, because "it itched me", until I found "the scraper" ... lol.

hBVzEXZ.jpg

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Hi Francis,  great to see something from you again! 

As Vytautas has said the colours might be more late war and non the worse for it, but your weathering, chipping,  staining and streaking is still first rate!

Great work.

Hope you're keeping well

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

the colours might be more late war and non the worse for it, but your weathering, chipping,  staining and streaking is still first rate!

I'll second the above.

The running gear looks great, especially the tracks. :goodjob:

Edited by echen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 22:11, vytautas said:

The colors may be unusual, but this Panther looks like a real huge and heavy tank and not like a small plastic toy. Well done weathering, perfectly scaled.

Vytautas

Hi Vytautas,

Many thanks for your like, kind comments and opnions, the colors may be a bit vivid, due to the camera used, but overall I like the finish.

I was really surprised by how big it is next to the Kingtiger, it is almost as big as it ... and with some well thought out photos, you can take advantage of the work done and imagine the actual size it would be.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 22:22, Jasper dog said:

Hi Francis,  great to see something from you again! 

As Vytautas has said the colours might be more late war and non the worse for it, but your weathering, chipping,  staining and streaking is still first rate!

Great work.

Hope you're keeping well

Atb

Darryl 

Hi Darryl,

Many thanls for your like and kind words, i'm gladyu like it. 

I had a hard time deciding the camo, I tried several before, and perhaps because of the specific model (the Panther is not my favorite tank), I did not like how it looked, with this at least, it was finished ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Hi Francis. As always, it's a joy to behold one of your armour builds! You have obviously done a lot of work on this with very impressive results! Very done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2021 at 11:53, Bullbasket said:

'Morning Francis. I echo what the others have said. I really like the chipping. Nice work.

John.

Hi John,

Many thanks for your like and kind words, i'm glad you like it.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Edited by FrancisGL

Hi Francis,

Super work as always.

Whenever I see one of your 're-painted/improved' models, I regret having always thrown all of mine away!

I keep putting mine 'aside' for maybe 'blowing them up and putting them in a diorama' and then they end up covered in dust and I just strip them for spare parts.

You do inspire me to keep them and re-work them. You prove it can be done.

Love the chipping, especially at the rear and on the shurtzen.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Hi Francis,

Excellent model. Once again your trademark weathering skills turn an affordable kit into a gem. Yes the camo scheme looks a bit late war but then again, I've seen pictures of a panzer IV-G with disc camo. It's probably on one of my hard drives, well needle and haystack situation in order to retrieve those. Finally some time to check what΅s happening on BM, hopefully some time for modelling in the future.

Cheers👍,

Ernst.

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2021 at 16:28, echen said:

I'll second the above.

The running gear looks great, especially the tracks. :goodjob:

HI echen,

Many thanks for your like and kind words .

I'm glad you like it despite everything.

Cheers and TC

Francis.

On 18/10/2021 at 14:14, PlaStix said:

Hi Francis. As always, it's a joy to behold one of your armour builds! You have obviously done a lot of work on this with very impressive results! Very done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Hi Stix,

Many thanks for your like, follow and most kind words,i'm glad you like it.

Regardless of the result obtained, it is true, there is a lot of work on chipping and staining throughout the kit, although it is the part I like the most about modeling ... lol.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

On 19/10/2021 at 22:24, Buzby061 said:

Looks great, an interesting scheme to boot. 

Pete

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad you like it.

Please, read the final part of the topic, in which I include a photo with camo.🧐

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

On 26/10/2021 at 12:26, edjbartos said:

Crikey Francis that does look a beast, the paint colours I think make it even more so. The weathering looks great and I really like the way that you have done the tracks. Excellent, well done...👍

Ed

Hi Ed, 

Many thanks for your like and kind words, i'm glad you like it.

I recently came across a camo schematic of a Dragon kit, which I inserted at the beginning of the topic, and which proves (unless Dragon is wrong) that this camo was plausible.
Although the tracks were "Plan B", I was able to get a good use of them (IMHO).
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

On 27/10/2021 at 00:15, Badder said:

Hi Francis,

Super work as always.

Whenever I see one of your 're-painted/improved' models, I regret having always thrown all of mine away!

I keep putting mine 'aside' for maybe 'blowing them up and putting them in a diorama' and then they end up covered in dust and I just strip them for spare parts.

You do inspire me to keep them and re-work them. You prove it can be done.

Love the chipping, especially at the rear and on the shurtzen.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder,

Many thanks for your follow, like and kind words, i'm glad you like it.

Hahaha, I do not always get them to "fix", and also they do not go to a diorama as scrap metal, if not to the spare parts box ... the above, if it has merit, a lot of plastic that "already lost its train" and as plan B, it's going to be part of a diorama ... you have to be good to make it convincing ...

I really wanted to do some chipping on the skirts, and I was trying a lot, not exactly what I thought, but not bad at all ... lol

Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 2