What do you get when a Lancaster has its way with a Lysander? The Wonderful Wacky Wendover!

17 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Oh I don’t know I’d still vote for the Blackburn Blackburn or the AVRO Bison

cdd75e73-9a10-4d27-83b5-52e0de8d1681.jpe

895257f2-93c5-47e4-9bbc-676c015b8956.jpe

One or both of which I may add to the collection next year ( I think they’re so ugly they’re cool)

I’m enjoying the build so far a great mix of old school and modern. Plus I have a prediluvian Lizzie in the stash ( hawk or testors) and this is giving me ideas :) ie with a new tube of silicone sealant I could copy the wings and forward  fuselage for my own Wendover, hmm might save that for the prototypes GB if it goes ahead.

Thanks Marklo, Although I'd have to say your two bring new meaning to Flying Bathtub, or would that be Bathinette? It would be interesting to see how the interior of those portly beasts would look like.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

I'll vote for the Grumman XF5F. Looks like the fuselage can't quite keep pace with the wing...

I think that was Grumman's "Hold my Beer moment when Bristol said there was nothing better than the Beaufighter. Grumman "I'll see your Beaufighter and raise you a "Skyrocket" and it will land on a Carrier. So there. 😝"

• Haha 1

In my infinite ( what’s almost but not quite the opposite of wisdom) I went and googled ugliest aircraft and mostly disagreed with the lists but I did find the Wendovers ugly French cousin.

0a8b8a11-eb9f-4f99-9b5a-73f7fecdf360.jpeThe Arsenal Delanne 10-C2. I really have to add one of these to the collection :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Marklo said:

In my infinite ( what’s almost but not quite the opposite of wisdom) I went and googled ugliest aircraft and mostly disagreed with the lists but I did find the Wendovers ugly French cousin.

0a8b8a11-eb9f-4f99-9b5a-73f7fecdf360.jpeThe Arsenal Delanne 10-C2. I really have to add one of these to the collection :) 

6 minutes ago, Marklo said:

And the miles m.35 

2fdde629-1351-4d27-ae8f-6fab37a91692.jpe

My God, Those two are so ugly you'd have to tie a pork chop around them just to get the dog to play with them Definitely worth adding to the Strange and Unusual collection. P.T. Barnum would be envious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

This is an interesting project of a very unusual looking machine, the printing of parts looks great and the cockpit assembly looks wonderful  as do the flaps too. Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris. Its coming along, slow but sure.

• Like 1

Next I removed the rudders and ailerons(?)

51633879781_5620afe5d9_c.jpg

51633051572_aca4710dd3_c.jpg

AS there were butt joints on the tail I used some cut down metal metal brads to hold the vertical stabilizer in place .

51634731780_119a4caf7a_c.jpg

and upon looking at some of the photos I had the rear wing like the main wing was fabric over frame.  

I hadn't planned on adding ribbing but I did have some .28x.56mm flat strip that sufficed. I thought I had taken pictures of that part but apparently not. oh well..

Once applied and let dry I sanded their thickness down by about half.

• Like 5

Now time to paint.

Bronze green for the Fuel tank and RAF interior green for everything else. I did add new framing above the fuel tank from some square rod.

51633879836_1487e218a4_c.jpg 

51634530719_9dfcba890d_c.jpg

And the Eduard harness set and instrument panel.

• Like 5

Then the one thing that has taken the most time to construct, the rear turret. Though it was a Nash-Thompson turret and very similar to the type used on the Lancaster, it wasn't an exact match, I didn't realize until I started looking for decent close up of the turret, there are several different types. I finally found one that gave me some idea of what the turret innards would have looked like. Then some measuring and using my contour gauge to cut the plastic with the correct curve.

what I came up with is this,

51633879831_93ae073c1d_c.jpg

51634731755_b58005aa57_c.jpg

It's not perfect, I couldn't add all the detail I wanted but it's close enough for Government Work and half-   d to pass.

51633879816_0a7530277f_c.jpg But most importantly, the turret glass fit over it correctly.

51634530669_b173e761d4_c.jpg

Then the turret got its framing masked off.

• Like 7

I temporarily added the main wings and did some pre-shading next

51634530654_f4e3d4f36e_c.jpg

Its actually a lot bigger than I expected.

51633879796_da35803765_c.jpg

Masked off the cabin canopy And  painted the lower extremities base white then a coat of trainer yellow..

51634731790_89f04a3b89_c.jpg

You can just make out the ribbing I added

From there a coat of Dark Earth I'll let these dry tonight then see what else needs my attention before adding the RAF Dark Green Camo.

Overall It's coming along rather well. So I should have another update tomorrow. Until them Keep on modelling.:pilot:

• Like 9

51634530649_71cf995b34_c.jpg

51633051477_c0d3075414_c.jpg

I just realized I forgot to ad the images of the Wendover with the base Earth colour..... Ooooopppssss..

One thing I see right off the bat is the slats will need to be dealt with.. But that is Tomorrow.

• Like 8

Good project coming together very quickly. I'm totally with you on the 'what were they thinking' 🤔

Trying to imagine if you had just got your wings, feeling very proud of yourself and then being told, 'here's what you'll be flying, chap' 😳

Alan

• 5 weeks later...

Its been waaay too long on updating and a wacked out month to boot.. So long in fact I'm now at the end and forgot to take more photos of the process... But let's press on to the finish line shall we?

Having gotten the base coat down I finished up the rest of the camoflage with RAF Dark Green then finished off the landing lights in the spats.

51711094896_ee21655c38_c.jpg

I was going to use the eraser end of a pencil and softened  PETG plastic to "drape mould" the lenses. But happily that wasn't necessary. I had the clear plastic insert from a USB charge cord I had gotten recently and the curvature of one section with a bit of trimming worked perfectly/

From there I attached the rear turret to the fuselage( I'll add the gun barrels at the end to prevent breakage)

51711370843_3636b48f93_c.jpg

I did have a continuing problem with the slats warping after the curing process. In one case it didn't happen until a week after being applied. After 4 tries I got it down to an acceptable point. not perfect, but acceptable. This is something I will have to experiment on in the near future as I I have a MUCH bigger Print project in the wings. More news on that later. But anywho, I think its coming down to a mixture of  1. Over curing in print process, 2. not clean enough nor dry enough before putting it under the UV light 3. too much time under the UV light. 4. long and thin parts. I may have to break down and get a proper cleaning/curing station. Again this is a problem to return to  for 2022.

• Like 4

Then it was time to add the decals. and a little bit of weathering. I wasn't goin got over do it as this was a  test prototype and not an active field unit. There would be wear but not much as it wasn't getting bashed about being shot at.

51711976345_3f5710d412_c.jpg

51711094941_84285f76ba_c.jpg

The engine and cowling were add and as you can see this was an early example of the slats warping after being glues in place for about a week.

51711976390_9e4f5f8c16_c.jpg

Peeling away all the masking from the canopy frames.

51711976400_13a17c5cc4_c.jpg

The a little aluminum paint and silver pencil to simulate paint chipping.

Finally, Adding the Prop and the guns at the rear and giving the decals a flat coat

51711094881_938e5cdd87_c.jpg

51711094861_c18a498fb4_c.jpg

• Like 6

Putting it all together and this is what you get....

51711767799_bcb6e383c7_c.jpg

51711976340_4ce2d76299_c.jpg

51710310407_efe3bae956_c.jpg

It has been an interesting build, sometimes aggravating but a definite learning experience. Thanks everyone for following along I'll have pictures in the RFI soon. 

And since I had to liberate my stash from storage for logistic reasons a couple of finishing builds( a la shelf of doom time frame) That I didn't get to finish before everything went into storage. 2022 will be a Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead Gridley!

It will be a definite busy build year between, GB's, current projects, shelfs of doom, and "Special Ordinance Projects" that are coagulating in this thoroughly whacked mind of mine. Gawd I love it when a Plan comes together! So until next time... Toodles!

:pilot:

P.S. as promised here is the RFI link:

Happy Holidays!

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Wow! That's very cool and another one of those "and that flew?" aircraft. Congratulations! :worthy:

Thanks There were a few times I wanted to see if it would fly again..... right into the waste bin, but cooler heads and calming legal beverages saved to the day... and my sanity. Thanks for stopping by:thanks:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Thanks There were a few times I wanted to see if it would fly again..... right into the waste bin, but cooler heads and calming legal beverages saved to the day... and my sanity. Thanks for stopping by:thanks:

I know how that feels. As you say, an adult beverage or two helps. :drink: