Martin B-10

72modeler

While looking for more photos of Martin WH3's used by the NEI, I found this photo collection of the B-10 that was donated by the Argentinian AF to the USAF many years ago that was restored at Kelly AB, TX and now on display at the Air Force Museum at Dayton, OH. Thought that those of you who have the Williams Bros. or Special Hobby kits might find useful details. Click on the arrow to see additional images. ( I recall an article in either Air Classics or Air Combat that had photos and text about the restoration, which took a ton of auto body filler to smooth out the dings and dents it had received during its many  years of service in Argentina.)

Mike

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.php?aircraft_id=484

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the wayback machine, taken in 1969 at the old, mostly outdoor display at the Air Force Museum.  Please forgive the large size, but this is a scan of a photo album of Polaroid pictures, that are far beyond stuck to their page!

The show the B-10 with the original nose, and with some of those "dings" clearly seen:

1969 USAF Museum B-10

The pictures will be 53 years old this January, so I supose, like me, that they are entitled to their stubbornness!  Hope you enjoy.

Ed

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

1969 USAF Museum B-10

Ed, did you mean to post those photos of the AFM's B-18 instead of the B-10? Either they replaced the B-18 solid nose with the correct greenhouse, or they acquired another B-18 that had the original  nose turret and bomb-aimer's station, IIRC the one I saw there in the 90's had checkerboard cowlings and the glass nose.

Mike

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/195870/douglas-b-18-bolo/

Nope it was late at night and I just had a senior moment. These are of course they are of the B-18 Bolo, sans glass nose.  It IS interesting to note, however, that it is pretty beaten up.  I don't think it must have been an easy job, being a medium bomber in the lower Americas, back in the day!

Ed

• Haha 1

On my very first visit to the USAF Museum in May 1976, I walked around a corner between two other exhibits to find the B-10 being assembled, with the starboard wing still lying on the floor, like a big model!

• Like 1