Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider

This was a nice, quick fun build. Nothing too stressful and the fit was mostly really good. A few issues that I found out right at the end was the ride height. Even after taking out the rear suspension springs the car sits too high on the back axle. The windscreen doesn't fit flush with the side windows but this can only be fixed if you take off the location pins but then you are left with two large holes on the bonnet. Basically I have left it as it is but it needs to be fixed before painting.

A nice engine is included but the bonnet is either on or off. Some aftermarket bonnet hinges would have come in handy but in the end I just glued the bonnet on.

I got complacent on my first coat and made a bit of a mess of it, very grainy. After sanding and repainting it came out much better,although not perfect, it doesn't now look like red sandpaper. It was a good lesson to treat my airbrush and paint with a bit of respect.

Paints used. Tamiya LP21 and Mr Color 158. Both Italian Red and exactly the same shade. Interior Tamiya Rubber black with a coat of satin, which gives a nice leather look. All metallics Tamiya/Mr Hobby lacquers.

p?i=5a60ad840385b8b3c08345afe508a9d5

p?i=3af5074a70f1c830affed511eeaf4dcd

p?i=8245d9f0e28eab7707bc5aae068e9830

p?i=b9c84285cd5b67e05dfc112f322d3a9f

p?i=2d7b5a9a5ad1c7e1a7a6f9e5dc37c67f

p?i=fbb063fb73b33dd90b8cf9bd6742f379

p?i=9e75ed4fab5a94edf2bb8e827309a5e7

Anyway, thanks for looking. I would recommend this kit. It builds into a nice model and there is plenty of scope for super detailing. Just keep your eyes on the back axle and windscreen. All the best.

Edited by Stef N.
Changed photos.
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Great work Stef another cool car build to add to your collection 🙂👍. I hope you're gonna continue with the car builds mate as I enjoy following your work 👍

Regardless of the issues you mention the car looks fab especially the pic's of the front end the grille and bumpers are excellent 👌

The grainy paint finish you mentioned could be down to the distance you have the airbrush from the model surface however judging from the final results you've obviously got it sorted 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

Cheers Andy. Yeah, it was down to distance, forgetting the heating was on and doing it too late/tired so not the best conditions for painting. A lack of care and attention on my behalf.👍😀

Got a nice AFV I want to crack on with and then more cars/bikes waiting for me. Really enjoy making them.

• Like 2

Got to agree with the others that if you hadn't said I wouldn't have guessed that you'd had paint issues. That paint looks better than most of mine do after painting and the rest of the build looks pretty good too. Shame you feel the rear sitting is high, but for a quick build there's a limit to what you can do. Also a quick google shows that a small but significant minority of the real thing do seem to sit this high at the rear, so maybe it's just that the springs haven't started to sag :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks Keith. The ride height is bugging me so I will do some alterations tomorrow and try and get it looking right. The springs added another 2mm or so to it so I'm not sure what they were thinking it was supposed to be.👍

• Like 1

After re-reviewing some of the photos you are right Spiny, there is a bit of height on the rear, but I will still tweak it to bring it down a bit more just to make myself a bit less fussy.😀 Cheers for your kind words.👍

The real thing is one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen. Pictures don't do its curves and proportions justice. I didn't even know they existed until a shiny red one pulled up next to me one sunny Saturday morning outside an Alfa garage, roof down. Actually that was a Giulia Spider, with a wide intake on the bonnet, but the body is the same. Way back then, I could have picked one up for the equivalent of a few thousand GBP. Now they're all well over 50k.....

This is one kit I have considered purchasing but have not because I just don't believe I can do the real thing justice. I think you've done a great job on the model.

and I agree with you that the ride height at the rear looks too high on the model.  It doesn't need to come down by much, they do have some rake, but it looks like the kit exaggerates it a little.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Kiseca. It's not a car that I can remember seeing in the wild but after stumbling on this kit in a shop in York I knew I had to have it. Lovely looking motor and probably the best Alfa (although my cousin's GTV was very nice.)

Give one a go as it's not a stupidly priced kit and,other than a few tweaks, it builds easily into a nice model.👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Thanks Kiseca. It's not a car that I can remember seeing in the wild but after stumbling on this kit in a shop in York I knew I had to have it.

Not Monk Bar Model Shop was it? I think that place took a significant portion of my childhood pocket money buying Scalextric stuff (and the occasional model too). They seemed very good back then, and the fact that they're still going suggests they're still very good today. Fantastic location too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Not Monk Bar Model Shop was it? I think that place took a significant portion of my childhood pocket money buying Scalextric stuff (and the occasional model too). They seemed very good back then, and the fact that they're still going suggests they're still very good today. Fantastic location too.

Although that is still going strong, and a really nice shop too, it was a shop called P&S Hobbies, also a nice shop crammed full of stuff. 👍

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Although that is still going strong, and a really nice shop too, it was a shop called P&S Hobbies, also a nice shop crammed full of stuff. 👍

I'm pretty sure I've bought some stuff from P&S Hobbies recently, think they have a shop in Scarborough.

The Alfa looks lovely too, I have a feeling they did ride high at the rear, possibly they sit level when two people and some luggage is aboard?

• Thanks 1