B-29A Superfortress "Command Decision" Airfix Old Mold 1/72

Beautifully done, considering the kit's proclivity to fight back hard.  I'm with @bentwaters81tfw; for the longest time, this was all you could get if you wanted a 1/72 B-29.  Evidently, the bomb bay doors are almost impossible to fit in the closed position.  I never even tried this one; I saw others' work, though, and I can only imagine what you went through to get it to come out this well!

• Like 1

Wow, you've done a great job beating this one into submission.  I had one of these kits as a kid and never built it - I opened the box, saw the state of it, closed the box and that was that.

:goodjob:

I loved this kit. My dad (sorry Father Christmas) got it me when I was about 6/7. I was amazed at its complexity compared with the Series 1 kits I was used to at the time. So many turrets... so many bombs... Oh and that box art... I had to get myself an original a few years ago - in an Airfix red stripe box. No intention of building it, just for pure nostalgia; but really super to see one built so well. 

Rich 

spacer.png

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

Darn it! I wish I could see the post but I don't see anything at all - no pictures, no SpacerPNG, no nothing - I wish I could because I loved this kit as a kid. Oh well..........I'm sure it's great

Cheers

Malcolm

Very tidy build of (in my view) an iconic kit!

I know Airfix's rivets are somewhat frowned upon nowadays, but I think they rather suit an aircraft of this size.

Well done! :clap2::clap2:

@RichG, thanks for posting that box art - it is awesome, as were most Airfix artworks of the time!

I recall a teenager a few doors up from me (when I was maybe an 8 y.o. boy) had this plane hanging from his bedroom ceiling and I would be in raptures whenever I saw it!

Nice build. 👍

I have one of these that I intend to build as "Ancient Mariner".  I will be trying very hard to not lose any rivets at all!

Dave

On 11/10/2021 at 16:32, RichG said:

:goodjob:

I loved this kit. My dad (sorry Father Christmas) got it me when I was about 6/7. I was amazed at its complexity compared with the Series 1 kits I was used to at the time. So many turrets... so many bombs... Oh and that box art... I had to get myself an original a few years ago - in an Airfix red stripe box. No intention of building it, just for pure nostalgia; but really super to see one built so well. 

Rich 

spacer.png

Rich,

glad to hear your remembrances,similar to mine.I saw when 10yr-old this very box art and that of the Stirling in a shop but had no money to get them...

Thanks for sharing and all the best for you.

On 12/10/2021 at 04:51, Vulcanicity said:

Superb! I guess you have a bit of an interest in the Korean War, given the other projects on the bench!

You bet Vulc!Best regards!

On 12/10/2021 at 10:19, Baldy said:

Darn it! I wish I could see the post but I don't see anything at all - no pictures, no SpacerPNG, no nothing - I wish I could because I loved this kit as a kid. Oh well..........I'm sure it's great

Cheers

Malcolm

Can you see it now Baldy?All the best,Marcus.

On 12/10/2021 at 19:48, kapam said:

Very tidy build of (in my view) an iconic kit!

I know Airfix's rivets are somewhat frowned upon nowadays, but I think they rather suit an aircraft of this size.

Well done! :clap2::clap2:

@RichG, thanks for posting that box art - it is awesome, as were most Airfix artworks of the time!

I recall a teenager a few doors up from me (when I was maybe an 8 y.o. boy) had this plane hanging from his bedroom ceiling and I would be in raptures whenever I saw it!

Tks Kap!

On 12/10/2021 at 20:29, davecov said:

Nice build. 👍

I have one of these on my modelling bench that I intend to build quite soon as "Ancient Mariner".  I will be trying very hard to not lose any rivets at all!

Dave

Looking forward to seeing it!

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 23:54, k5054nz said:

I have to admit, when I saw the title I thought "How did I miss a NEW one?"!

😀