1/72 Airfx Vulcan (old tool) XH558

This is the old tool Airfix Vulcan. Glad they put it out to pass as the moulds were getting really bad. Thanks to @bentwaters81tfw for a set of intakes from an original tooling, the ones in this were really bad. Decals from before Airfix started using Cartograf and were not great. Still its finished and of the Shelf O' Doom. Even in 1/72 it fills my large photo  tent!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 58
  • Thanks 1

That shows that old tool kits can still be worth building - it's a beauty.

like the 'in flight'  finish, as it shows off the pure shape of the design., and that wrap around camouflage sets it off nicely!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Hi Julien,

beautiful Vulcan. Doesn't look old tool at all.

The most amazing, is that despite the age of the kit, you managed to keep pretty much all the raised panel lines? Was there no sanding required?

Congratulations.

JR

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

That scrubbed up OK. Doesn't have to be new tool to make a nice model.

Cheers. Thx for the intakes.

1 hour ago, Viking said:

That shows that old tool kits can still be worth building - it's a beauty.

like the 'in flight'  finish, as it shows off the pure shape of the design., and that wrap around camouflage sets it off nicely!

Cheers

John

Thanks John.

9 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Julien,

beautiful Vulcan. Doesn't look old tool at all.

The most amazing, is that despite the age of the kit, you managed to keep pretty much all the raised panel lines? Was there no sanding required?

Congratulations.

JR

Cheers, Some sanding was needed and panel lines put back. Just needed careful fitting of the wings and a lot of putty to get that join done. 

• Like 1

Nice work, perhaps not as accurate as the new tool (once you correct its mistakes) but it certainly looks the part! Camo pattern is very good. What stand is it on? Can't be easy to get one to hold up this ton of plastic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julien said:

Cheers, Some sanding was needed and panel lines put back. Just needed careful fitting of the wings and a lot of putty to get that join done. 

Amazing! How did you "put back" the panel lines (this is a great semantic shortcut!)? Stretched sprue?

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

Amazing! How did you "put back" the panel lines (this is a great semantic shortcut!)? Stretched sprue?

JR

Generally I scribe them back in using a knife blade as it puts a ridge down one side if done correctly, they eye generally just sees a line and it looks good. Only n a very few cases have I used the sprue technique. I generally dont mind building raised panel line kits for this reason.

Thx

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Nice work, perhaps not as accurate as the new tool (once you correct its mistakes) but it certainly looks the part! Camo pattern is very good. What stand is it on? Can't be easy to get one to hold up this ton of plastic

Thx, dont know where the stand came from, I have a box of them as I never throw them out from all my years model making. I have loads of old airfix & matchbox ones. I think it came in a kit from China as quite often they have them. 

3 hours ago, IanC said:

Terrific! As good a result as that surely means you won't need to buy the new one.

Or will you? 😉

no way, this was in fact a little too big, the refueling probe is a bit shorter than it should be as I snapped it off a few times during the build and painting!

7 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Very nice Julien. You've got me considering one o these for myself.

Make that "I've just bought one of the 1983 edition online for £30" on the strength of yours.

Lol, that will fit comfortably into the 'Out of your comfort zone GB'

• Like 1