Zvezda 1/72 Lockheed Hercules C-130K

That’s gorgeous! Nice job on the fit and finish. If you had a 1/72 Bloodhound and Land Rover to pose with that, some would be taken back to the 70’s. I built the Airfix kit in that scheme back in 72. It certainly didn’t look this good!

Jeff

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gazza l said:

Thanks John.

Yes lots of nostalgia. I can remember looking through the window of my local newsagent window on my way to junior school and seeing the new Airfix kit in this camo, along with the bloodhound missile.

Way too expensive for a 9 year old kid, it was probably about £5 in 1977! 

Many thanks Colin.

Hopefully Marshalls can stay there for a good many years too come. The airfield is slowly becoming surrounded by housing and the developers, I'm sure, would love to get their hands on the airfield itself.

I flew a couple of times with 5 AEF, never got a trip in the Chipmunk though, both times in the Beagle Husky. 

Very nice Herc indeed.  I recall when the Airfix one was first issued in the late 60s, it was over £1, which made it the most expensive aircraft in the Airfix catalogue at the time. 

• Thanks 1

Absolutely fantastic and agree, that that is the best camo scheme ever for a Herc.  I too have very fond memories of the original Airfix release with the Bloodhound missile set. I reckon it was my main present for Christmas 1972 when I was just 10 years old. The kit's complexity daunted me, as until then I had only build a handful of series 1 or 2 Airfix kits. It was my Dad, who got me interested in modelling in the first place, that took over the construction of this monster and over several nights that Christmas holiday, he built and painted it for me.  It was a treasured toy rather than a display piece for some years afterwards until time took its toll, and it succumbed to the rubbish bin after too many parts got broke or went missing.

Seeing how lovely the Zveda kit is, I am sorely tempted to add it to the 300+ kits in my current stash, and perhaps actually something for once to take me back to those halcyon, carefree childhood days.

Thanks for sharing. It's a build to be proud of.

Mark

• Thanks 2

On 10/10/2021 at 11:48 PM, gazza l said:

Thanks John.

Yes lots of nostalgia. I can remember looking through the window of my local newsagent window on my way to junior school and seeing the new Airfix kit in this camo, along with the bloodhound missile.

Way too expensive for a 9 year old kid, it was probably about £5 in 1977! 

Many thanks Colin.

Hopefully Marshalls can stay there for a good many years too come. The airfield is slowly becoming surrounded by housing and the developers, I'm sure, would love to get their hands on the airfield itself.

I flew a couple of times with 5 AEF, never got a trip in the Chipmunk though, both times in the Beagle Husky. 

Isnt that husky the one hughie green donated to the ATC?

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

I believe the Husky was won in a raffle by Mr (holiday camp) Pontin, then purchased by Mr (holiday camp) Butlin and subsequently donated to the ATC.

I'm not sure if this is true or not but I seem to remember the pilot telling us the story before my flight.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, much appreciated.

gazza l

9 hours ago, junglierating said:

Yes it is.

7 hours ago, gazza l said:

I believe the Husky was won in a raffle by Mr (holiday camp) Pontin, then purchased by Mr (holiday camp) Butlin and subsequently donated to the ATC.

I'm not sure if this is true or not but I seem to remember the pilot telling us the story before my flight.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, much appreciated.

gazza l

I'm not sure about the Pontin connection, but certainly Billy Butlin and Hughie Green were involved.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNwcJSZGYEM

And to get this back on topic smoothly,  as a former staff cadet at 5AEF I have quite a few hours in that Husky but not so many hours in the back of a Herc (two or three flights iirc).   Your rendition may even tempt me to buy one of these kits.

Edited by MikeC
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 00:44, gazza l said:

Hi everyone.

Finished this a few months ago and only just got round to photographing it. It's the fairly new Zvezda release which I was very pleased about when it was announced.

Living in the shadows of Marshall Aerospace in Cambridge for the last 50 odd years, I've grown up with the sound of the Allison T56 so have become quite fond of the Herc, particularly the older K's. 

The kit went together without any issues and is naturally far superior to it's older competitors (much older from Airfix).

I added an Eduard photo etch set in the cockpit, a set of resin wheels and the decals came from 26 decals.

MRP and Alclad paints were used followed by a light oil wash and finished with an Alclad gloss cote with a matt cote on the walkways. I also added the aerials found on the early models which are not provided in the kit.

Thanks for looking

gazza l

DSC_1289 - Copy

DSC_1291 - Copy

DSC_1293 - Copy

DSC_1295 - Copy DSC_1296

DSC_1298

DSC_1301

Absolutely awesome! Congrats👍

• Thanks 1

Now that brings back memories of my first large Airfix kit!! Hand-painted in Humbrol paints and hung from my ceiling...

But it was nowhere near as gorgeous as this! I really must look in the local model shop and see if they have one in stock, such inspiration!

• Thanks 1

Excellent result there Gazza, your chosen colour scheme has certainly evoked a lot of memories - including mine! I remember asking for the Airfix kit for my birthday back in 1968 which I'm pretty sure was just after it came out.  In my mind it looked just as good as yours, but of course the memory plays cruel tricks - I'm sure that in reality the windows would have been fogged with glue and there were gaps I could put my little finger into!

Yours will generate a lot of additional sales for Zvedza, I might even be tempted myself!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 09/10/2021 at 22:44, gazza l said:

Hi everyone.

Finished this a few months ago and only just got round to photographing it. It's the fairly new Zvezda release which I was very pleased about when it was announced.

Living in the shadows of Marshall Aerospace in Cambridge for the last 50 odd years, I've grown up with the sound of the Allison T56 so have become quite fond of the Herc, particularly the older K's. 

The kit went together without any issues and is naturally far superior to it's older competitors (much older from Airfix).

I added an Eduard photo etch set in the cockpit, a set of resin wheels and the decals came from 26 decals.

MRP and Alclad paints were used followed by a light oil wash and finished with an Alclad gloss cote with a matt cote on the walkways. I also added the aerials found on the early models which are not provided in the kit.

Thanks for looking

gazza l

DSC_1289 - Copy

DSC_1291 - Copy

DSC_1293 - Copy

DSC_1295 - Copy DSC_1296

DSC_1298

DSC_1301

You have done a fantastic job of this model, very well done. I have one to build in the same colours and have been wondering for some time what is the best way to paint the white shape above the cockpit? Did you paint white first then mask the shape? I've bought a template of ovals, a sheet of white decal but am undecided on the best way to do it. Bought Xtracolour enamel paints as recommended by 26 Decals

• Thanks 1

OMG, how did I miss this beautiful build. That’s an absolute gem and a real inspirational series of photos to intice anyone who’s been bulking at buying this kit. 
Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Auerswald said:

You have done a fantastic job of this model, very well done. I have one to build in the same colours and have been wondering for some time what is the best way to paint the white shape above the cockpit? Did you paint white first then mask the shape? I've bought a template of ovals, a sheet of white decal but am undecided on the best way to do it. Bought Xtracolour enamel paints as recommended by 26 Decals

Many thanks Auerswald. 

I painted the white after the camo using 2mm masking tape and a good reference photo taken from above of an aircraft in flight. I used MRP white primer followed by gloss white. It took me a couple of attempts if my memory serves me correctly.

Cheers, Gary 

That is a beauty! Just as I rember them when on a school trip to Thorney Island and airshows of the 60s an early 70s. Brilliant piece of work. Another tempting purchase....

• Thanks 1