F-14 VF142

Linus

After transitioning from the Phantom to the Tomcat in 1975, the Ghostriders were first assigned to CVW-6 (Tailcode AE) aboard USS America, they did 3 cruises with CVW-6 between '76 and '78, before transferring to CVW-7 (tailcode AG) aboard the then brand new USS Dwight D Eisenhower for its initial 6th fleet deployment in '79, this cruise also coincided with the tone down orders  and they ditched their bright yellow markings for the more subdued hooded skull Ghostrider marking.

Hi Linus,

I can't really help apart from finding 3 photos via google. I put "F-14 AJ-202 VF-142" and it came up with an image of it in the air. If you change the code to AJ-205 and AJ-206 there are images that look as if they were taken at the same time, one has USS America titles on the fin and the other doesn't. HTH

Regards

Phil

In a piece of synchronicity, not a minute after posting my response I opened the newsletter from Hannants and CTA (Cut Then Add) decals have a 1/72 sheet for early F-14s and includes AJ-205.

Phil

• Like 1

Thank you mates, I remember the matchbox kit which had the AJ code about 40 years ago now there was no internet and finding documentation was not easy, AntPhillips yes what was part of the CVW6 and CVW7 I knew, but here is the mystery, as Giorgio N said when I transit from the f-4 on the first F-14 the VF-142 was part of the CVW8 and even if for a short time it maintained the AJ codes, thanks Giorgio N I did not know this. The CVW8 rightly carries the AJ code, and as Phil Evans says, the prolific firm CTA has made a sheet dedicated to the first F-14s, with code AJ. A heartfelt thanks to everyone who helped me in this research. Thank you.

Cheers Lineo

One or maybe two pictures can be found on Tomcat Colors & Markings from D&S book, I don't know when and where and why Matchbox made the decision of adding those stripes on wings and stabs but be aware cause a certain manga, then a game and OAV called Area88 had Micky or Mickey F-14 depicted with similar stripes it can be an error due the manga or it can be something Matchbox added because VF-124, VF-32 and I think one VF-24 bird had stripes on wing and stab surfaces

Luigi

The first Tomcat delivered to the squadron, 159433, had black/yellow/black stripes on the wings. A picture appears in the book "Tomcat Alley", pg. 45.

Markings are however quite different from what Matchbox proposed... there were no stripes on the stabilators and none under the canopy (these later appeared on all VF-142 Tomcats), AJ codes were on the tail outer surfaces with bolts on the inner (Matchbox suggested the opposite) and the ventral fins were white, not yellow. 

• 3 weeks later...

Matchbox could draw anything, just like all the other manufacturers. Nobody limits their imagination. If you need true info, you should find this yourself.
As for the AJ code, it was used for a short time, when the VF-142 was being prepared for flights with USS America. Then there was a change of wing and the code became AE.
I will make my VF-142 with my decal - "AJ". 
Yes, "Cut then Add" it's Me. 

PLus, some photos from my Twitter 

• Like 1