Silent Running Dewey#1. 3D Studio Max & 3D Printed Adventures. ( Kind of Scratch Build )

So with an overnight print and another while I was working we have most off the main body printed.

Here are the fruits.

51857078279_8225334358_b.jpg

All that got clipped, cured and sanded. Look it’s almost like proper modelling again. 🤣

51857405885_47abf0e53f_b.jpg

Dewey Assemble!!!

The parts thus far. Bathed and ready for a dry fit. The sanding was really simple and easy going. So nice surfaces to work with.

51857078244_309a495550_b.jpg

Dry fit time.

51857405700_2910082d92_b.jpg

The wobbles that you can see are different colours of resin and not actual wobbles in the print. These will be lost when painted. 🤞

More angles just because.

51856833168_a25c66b35d_b.jpg

I do love the detail you can get.

The little bolts have come out really well.

51855789062_966ef428e7_b.jpg

There are a few more panels to print to finish the front. And the arm section.

51857405710_c603f25b7f_b.jpg

You can see that the grid come out in the deeper vents too.

51857078474_880b25ba7c_b.jpg

And the rear.

51857078534_e694aaaa7d_b.jpg

Happy with that.  I need to do more 3D modelling to get the rest in place. The good thing about the few failed prints is that I have some paint mules I can test on.

So here’s a test print with a spot of Tamiya primer. 😀

51856843263_475bf6f4d9_b.jpg

I didn’t sand this one bud it’s looking like it’s taken the paint ok. 😀

More soon. Hope you’re all having a great week. 
Happy modelling.

Johnny.

• Like 13

I'm glad you got to the root cause of the failed print issue. It's always disappointing when that happens, but unlike when you screw up an injection molded kit part and you're done, you just fire up Chitu, make a few tweaks and run another print

lovely modeling there Johnny.  It looks like you're well on your way to being a zen master of printing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/02/2022 at 12:20, hendie said:

I'm glad you got to the root cause of the failed print issue. It's always disappointing when that happens, but unlike when you screw up an injection molded kit part and you're done, you just fire up Chitu, make a few tweaks and run another print

lovely modeling there Johnny.  It looks like you're well on your way to being a zen master of printing

Thanks Hendie. I don’t know about Master but it’s nice to make these things fit together at least. Thankyou for all your help. Couldn’t have done any of it without you dear boy. 

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Amazing work Spad !!

Can't wait to see progresses !!

Congrats.

CC

Thanks Alain. I did do a little more tonight.

Just inside the PC .

Dewey’s undercarriage got modelled along with some lower sections and other bits and bobs. Not much more left to do but I really want to get some RFI photos done over the weekend if I can.

Here’s a pic of my screen.

51862373968_b48c1d4c98_b.jpg

I’m planning on putting some bend in the legs before I print. The wires will be rubber tube. So not all 3D printed. 😉

Johnny.

• Like 9

I got hold of some paper craft plans for these guys some time ago with the intention of using them as a base for a styrene scratch build. It’s just a future Future project idea though. Must say your approach is excellent- looking really good 👏

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Chief Smeg said:

I got hold of some paper craft plans for these guys some time ago with the intention of using them as a base for a styrene scratch build. It’s just a future Future project idea though. Must say your approach is excellent- looking really good 👏

Yes I have seen the paper craft versions. They look really good. There is also a rather excellent kit produced by destiny models which I have hovered my finger over the purchase button more than once or twice I can tell you. I decided in the end to Plough the money spent on the kits into the printer as it would give me more overall fun producing my own version, Plus I could also make printed parts for my Aeroplane builds. Thanks for taking an interest in this build. Hopefully he’ll turn out well and this thread will eventually turn into a triple whammy. 😇😇😇

• Like 1

The new prints are looking fantastic, looks like the details came out really well. 

I'm curious how you're going to bend the legs. Are you going to re-model them with compression and expansion on the corrugations, or just warp the existing straight leg model? I wanted to do something similar with my Gonks, but the complexity of modelling a bent corrugated pipe was beyond my meagre 3D skills.

Andy:cat:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andy Moore said:

The new prints are looking fantastic, looks like the details came out really well. 

I'm curious how you're going to bend the legs. Are you going to re-model them with compression and expansion on the corrugations, or just warp the existing straight leg model? I wanted to do something similar with my Gonks, but the complexity of modelling a bent corrugated pipe was beyond my meagre 3D skills.

Andy:cat:

“ Meagre 3D skills” ????

yeah right. You’re a ruddy legend Andy. Your builds are such an inspiration to me. 😀 Thanks for the kind words. Answering the question about the legs I’ll either put the hose section on a spline and bend it that way or I’ll use an FFD box and deform it through move and rotation of the nodes. It does a really good job overall and as the bend isn’t massive will look acceptable. ( I hope ) 

Ill try it out later on. BIG weekend. Re jigged the Cave and have actually got around to catching up with all my RFIs.

Johnny

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No updates I’ve the weekend. Well not Dewey based.

I did manage to catch up with all of my RFIs from last year which hopefully you have had a nose at. I know we aren’t obliged to do RFIs or any of this to be fair but I must say it’s like a weight has been lifted.

Also over the WE I moved the cave around. I wasn’t happy with the configuration after I was booted from my old room before Christmas.

51866612489_e0d23eaa52_b.jpg

It was ok but just felt awkward.

after a re jig I’m much happier.

51865326362_6bb21ffe21_b.jpg

The cabinets are on the internal wall giving me much more space and a much better vibe to the room. Can’t wait to get cracking on paint and more printing.

soon my friends. Soon. 😇

• Like 6

I love that layout Johnny, looks like your perfect 'happy place' 👍

Talking of Happy Places, I was in Stourbridge last weekend staying with mates. Had a good mooch around and loved it. The industrial heritage there is fascinating.

I'll catch up with your RFIs now!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

I love that layout Johnny, looks like your perfect 'happy place' 👍

Talking of Happy Places, I was in Stourbridge last weekend staying with mates. Had a good mooch around and loved it. The industrial heritage there is fascinating.

I'll catch up with your RFIs now!

Thanks it is now. Still some tweaking to do and I need to paint the walls but I’m happy with the vibe of the room. 😀 Glad you liked my home town. And I hope you liked the RFIs too. 

13 hours ago, giemme said:

Johnny, you are not sitting on a wood cage while you're building models, are you? :frantic:  :frantic:  You should really 3D print a chair.... :D :D  

Ciao

Hmmm yes kind of. I did have a small wooden chair but I’ve been using that to work from in my day job as I’m still working from home so the crate has too to. I could do with a cushion Mind. 🤣

• Haha 2

Hey. A little more done tonight. I was hoping to share up the finished print but it’s still going. 😩 you’ll have to wait till tomorrow as will I. 
I have got the legs and bum ready for action.     ……

Ced👀 Ced👀 where are you. 😆

The top of the leg did get slightly bent using an FFD (Free Form Deformation) box. And a plinth added to the top so when attached Dewey will have that slight forward lean.

51867555437_2ac779fa09_b.jpg

For @Andy Moore Here is the cage if you haven’t used one. Not sure if they’re in anything other than max.

51868602158_203d844dc7_b.jpg

Using rotations of the control points the mesh does deform as expected. Not 100% perfect but good enough as most is hidden up in the pit. 

keep em crossed for tomorrows print. 
🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Johnny

• Like 5

One major benefit from working out of the house at the moment means I can nip out and set prints going. Today was a busy day for Mr Elegoo. 😀

Legs, bums and tums. All printed without too many niggles. If there were all the time in the world I’d print them again but as it stands they’re pretty good.

51870421216_381a48b63f_b.jpg

Every time I think I have over supported I prove myself wrong. The square section above the foot I supported on one leg but not on the other and I got a bit of lamination going on. Nothing done sanding didn’t fix but still. 🙄

More parts. This is the bum and tum sections. 😆

51871070725_579af30af8_b.jpg

Supports snipped. And cured I could get down to a tidy up.

51870738844_3d6d2cc9e0_b.jpg

Wafts with a few choice sanding sticks.

51870501748_0f150fea39_b.jpg

And I’m good for a bit of a wash in the sink. Which is handily just next to my new grotto. 😀

All clean and ready for a dry fit. 

51870421141_9c3da50eea_b.jpg

the Tube turned out well and the slight angle to the top of the leg fits nicely into the underside. Everything taped in place and by Jove he’s on his pins.

51869457832_384684d66a_b.jpg

A little more tidy up on his bum looking at this shot but nothing too major. 
And here he is. 

51870501358_c4e6bd70dc_b.jpg

I’m loving the slight lean forward. I was going to do him leaning back but it felt too R2D2 although Dewey preceded him by about five years. 
The rear.

there are some lines that came out in the pic here so I’ll sand them out before I prime.

51871070975_5a5d5300be_b.jpg

you can probably spy that I have some of this on the bench.

51869458137_d1c588dae1_b.jpg

It was recommended to me by @Volksjager so I thought I’d give it a blast. I’m going to do Dewey slightly more worn than in the film so some artistic licence in play. I have some mule parts to test on first. 🤩

One more standing pic because I’m just so pleased with him. 😍🥰

51870501378_700ac2ed5e_b.jpg

still a few bits and bobs to printarm, light,  eye panel and under the main vents but I think I’ll spend a bit of time on the painting tests next.

Hope you like the little fella. I know I do. 🥰

Take care and as always.

Happy modelling.

Johnny.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Douglas Trumbull died today. 😞 I shall dedicate this build to his memory. 

I'm sure it will be a fitting tribute 👏

It is in fact shaping up very well :thumbsup2:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm sure it will be a fitting tribute 👏

It is in fact shaping up very well :thumbsup2:

Ciao

Thanks G. Douglas is such an inspiration. 2001, Bladerunner, silent running, close encounters.  I’ll make this one as good as I can. 🤞

11 hours ago, Volksjager said:

Wow, I have just caught up on this build and I am very impressed. Your 3printing skills @The Spadgent are fantastic. Dewey is coming along very well and I am keen to see how you go with your paint & the liquid mask. 

Thanks that’s very kind. More done tonight but I’m reluctant to put the masking fluid on bare paint so I’m going to top coat first. It’s looking like it might be the weekend till we see some blue. 

Hey you lot. More Dewey action. Well kind of. Dewey mule action.

I glued my test bits together, primed and did a pre shade for the rust layer.

51872478449_28619d2a4c_b.jpg

not sure if that was the best thing to do. 
I did half with stipple and half without.

51872160091_7756aab324_b.jpg 51872160096_f12673b1ac_b.jpg

Upon painting the rust under coat I’m convinced that it’s going to be more free form. I painted a red hull layer but it looked a bit wrong so I added some yellow to warm it up a bit. Then a bit of red. Then some Mask work. Then some post shade. Basically a bit of everything. 
the rear.

51872478464_bdb62cb94f_b.jpg

And front.

51872240733_896e472a87_b.jpg

Convincing enough.😇 I’m going to top coat that before I use the masking fluid. 
Mule going well so far. 

Hope you’re all having a great week.

Johnny.

• Like 9

That's pretty AWESOME Johnny, and I'm now in desperate need of one.  Are you planning on offering prints for sale? :tasty:

Also, if you were to get a higher resolution printer in the future, and let's face it, they're coming fast and furious, would the resolution of your prints improve?  I suspect the answer is yes, but I'm sure there are some caveats to it. :hmmm:

• Thanks 1

Hi Spadgent - I've only just found this thread, and have been interested to see your progress. I have thought about dabbling in 3D printing, but have yet to take the plunge.  

I love the Silent Running drones - a while ago I built a set of three 1/6th scale resin cast models made by a US outfit called Model Prisoners, which I posted on here.

I modified them slightly to have posable legs and working headlights, and intended to make articulated arms but still haven't got round to that.

My Flickr album is here: Silent Running Drones

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, giemme said:

Interesting.... :tasty:  :popcorn:

Ciao

Tell me about it. I finished up tonight then remembered it was only a test mule. 🙃

7 hours ago, Mike said:

That's pretty AWESOME Johnny, and I'm now in desperate need of one.  Are you planning on offering prints for sale? :tasty:

Also, if you were to get a higher resolution printer in the future, and let's face it, they're coming fast and furious, would the resolution of your prints improve?  I suspect the answer is yes, but I'm sure there are some caveats to it. :hmmm:

Thanks Mike. 🙌😀 I hadn’t thought but I guess I could put the files up. I’d have to wait till he’s finished to get everything  right mind. If and when the res gets better then yes the files will just work. I have modelled him at a decent quality so he should stand up just fine. Watch this space. 🤩😇

3 hours ago, Camwader said:

Hi Spadgent - I've only just found this thread, and have been interested to see your progress. I have thought about dabbling in 3D printing, but have yet to take the plunge.  

I love the Silent Running drones - a while ago I built a set of three 1/6th scale resin cast models made by a US outfit called Model Prisoners, which I posted on here.

I modified them slightly to have posable legs and working headlights, and intended to make articulated arms but still haven't got round to that.

My Flickr album is here: Silent Running Drones

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

wow they’re amazing!!!! I’ll have to check out your thread. They look pretty BIG!  To be fair they look about 1/2 scale.  3D printing is great fun especially if you make the parts yourself. 😀

ha!!! Totally fooled me. Your lighting and modelling is fantastic. Bravo that man. 🙌🙌🙌