General Aviation Hotspur

At last I seem to have got the hang of inserting pictures I would like to present my humble little Novo, nee FROG, Hotspur glider!  I started her a while ago and had much help and guidance from BMers, and especially aeronaut (thanks Alastair) to try to just improve the old thing a bit. To this end there is a fully home-made cockpit, tiny little transfers on the instrument panel, modified undercarriage and sundry odds and ends. Paint is Humbrol enamel, transfers were beyond my ability to repair so I printed the Pegasus insignia and BT671 identification, and roundels from spares. Hope you find it fun, I'm tremendously pleased with it.

Novo Hotspur Novo Hotspur

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Very kind. I do like making some of the less popular (crappy old) kits, in the theory that I might make them better, whereas I can quite conceivably make a good kit worse,  or at least not done them justice. I get a satisfaction in making the kits I did in the 60s. Don't know what happened to them all but I can guess.....

• Like 1

Good morning Alastair!  I should have done a work in progress really, but the cockpit especially looks SO much better thanks to all your photos and design drawings. I DID eventually finish the Horsa, raised cockpit floor, modified skid and all. I'll do a 'ready for inspection' in a couple of weeks. Thanks again for all the guidance. 

Hello Mr one eighth, no, sorry, there wasn't much work in progress to report really, and I didn't take all that many pictures because I didn't do THAT much that you can see apart from the cockpit, and I didn't really think that anyone would really be interested!  It looks better underneath that great big canopy to!  

23 hours ago, OneEighthBit said:

No need to call me Mister - I work for a living :)

Your model just caught my eye as I made colour profile of that particular aircraft not so long ago.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wtYSGx34HIaBKq3LL1NANaxBDmHsysv3/view?usp=sharing

Ah, that's interesting. And intriguing!  I didn't see the 'K' on the fuselage in my picture. I might have to see what I can find in my box of transfers/decals. 

(I'm sorry I always called them transfers from my childhood, and indeed the instructions in some of the kits I build still do!)

17 hours ago, Flight Line Media said:

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing it. 

It looks nice in the photos, and not TOO bad in my cabinet, thanks for all the positive feedback. I might do a little ready for inspection with all 3 of my gliders, Hotspur Horser and Waco. When I remember!

Thank you all for your kind comments. Although old with inaccuracies, like the undercarriage legs which I corrected easily enough (thanks again Aeronaut!) things like the tiny little windows (portholes?) we're easy to glue in with large flanges on the inside and actually protruded slightly so that you could really do a nice job smoothing the outside of the fuselage and easily masking them. Old kits aren't always TOTALLY bad!