Kinetic 1/48th Cheetah D

Charlie Hugo

King Hobbies Trading South Africa is feeling excited.

22 September at 19:34  · 

Long Awaited !!!

In response to our request, Kinetic Models will release a brand new 1/48 scale South African Air force Cheetah D Fighter ( KIN48081 ) on December 2021.

It's should be landed safely here on January 2022.

This Fighter jet only delivery to South Africa.

Last line is interesting

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Charlie Hugo said:

King Hobbies Trading South Africa is feeling excited.

22 September at 19:34  · 

Long Awaited !!!

In response to our request, Kinetic Models will release a brand new 1/48 scale South African Air force Cheetah D Fighter ( KIN48081 ) on December 2021.

It's should be landed safely here on January 2022.

This Fighter jet only delivery to South Africa.

Last line is interesting

WOW Charlie that’s great news, one way or another I really need / want to get one. It seems strange that they will only be sent to SA, to my mind that would certainly limit sales, there are a LOT of us boertjies all over the world. Also I am sure there are a lot of modellers that have an interest in the SAAF and Mirage iconic variations.

ALL SAID AND DONE GREAT NEWS BRING IT ON.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ali62 said:

WOW Charlie that’s great news, one way or another I really need / want to get one. It seems strange that they will only be sent to SA, to my mind that would certainly limit sales, there are a LOT of us boertjies all over the world.

Perhaps it's just not very clear use of English and they mean that the Cheetah - as in the full-size article - was only used in South Africa? As you suggest, it would seem odd that Kinetic would limit potentially quite profitable kit sales in that way - I'd certainly buy one.

Edited by hopkp
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, hopkp said:

Perhaps it's just not very clear use of English and they mean that the Cheetah - as in the full-size article - was only used in South Africa? As you suggest, it would seem odd that Kinetic would limit potentially quite profitable kit sales in that way - I'd certainly buy one.

After many rereads and a rethought that is my deduction as well

18 minutes ago, exdraken said:

I do hope we'd first get the kit worldwide, and second also decals for Ecuador!

e978467e91ed155825aa5f07394dac17--fighte

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e9/78/46/e978467e91ed155825aa5f07394dac17--fighter-aircraft-fighter-jets.jpg

Is this a Python III acquisition round by the way?

That nose just looks so many kinds of wrong.....like it belongs on a different plane! (I'd still buy one though.....)

• Haha 1

I think nowadays it is quite clear what happened back then, in Israel, in France, in South Africa and elsewhere...

the South African Mirage III models where updated with Israeli technology developed for the KFIR program and some indigenous items.

Similar upgrades were performed on Argentine Nesher/ Dagger fleets that were then called FInger...., or the Chilean Pantera programm!

You can easily tell by all using basically the same aerodynamic shapes... amoungst others this strange looking nose on the 2 seater models!

So Kfir, Cheetah, FInger, Pantera... all share quite a lot..... ;)

• Like 1

The RD-33 is certainly an interesting option! Was aldo integrated with the Mirage F1.

Anyone know about resulting performance differences?

Power to weight, range, etc?  

I assume there is a structural reason why there are no wingtip missiles at all on the Mirage III or 2000 types... 

Good news indeed, even though this is not my scale.

Would love to build a Ecuadorian Cheetah, but not only there is no kit available (except Scaleworx resin conversions in all scales), also no one really makes aftermarket decals for them!

Another nice one would be Chilean Pantera or the SAAF Recce Cheetah...

A rep from Special Hobby claimed they would make the "exot" Mirages after the mainstream ones, but their kit is nowhere to be heard of even years later.

Edited by drake122

according to this article 9 Cheetah C and 3 Two Seat Cheetah D were delivered to DRAKEN

https://defbrief.com/2021/10/03/adversary-air-training-firm-draken-receives-final-south-african-cheetah/

so another option to do one :)

no idea on markings and schemes of course for now!

On 12/10/2021 at 05:33, exdraken said:

The RD-33 is certainly an interesting option! Was aldo integrated with the Mirage F1.

Anyone know about resulting performance differences?

Power to weight, range, etc?  

I assume there is a structural reason why there are no wingtip missiles at all on the Mirage III or 2000 types... 

Hi ExDraken,

The Cheetah's were fitted with the upgraded SNECMA ATAR 9k50C-11's which gave them a better power to weight ratio than the Mirage lll's.

The dogtooth in the leading edge and the slight curve near the wing tips allowed an extra pylon to be added and increased the payload limit by 700kg+

They were. however, never fitted with wing tip missiles like the Mirage F1.

Range was increased due to a more economical engine and refuelling probes being added. However, the SAAF Mirage F1 AZ's and CZ's was apparently more economical.

At least 5 Cheetahs were built from Nesher frames. 

• Thanks 1