Back into the Hurricane - Mk.I Airfix 1/72

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/11/2021 at 16:43, jackroadkill said:

This build is going to look amazing.  I'm always envious of how you 1/72 builders do such detailed and involved jobs on such tiny subjects.

It's a fantastic kit, and it shows just what Airfix can do when they're on song.  I just wish they'd issue this kit in 1/48.  I really want to build a ragwing 1/48 Hurricane and at the moment just about my only option is a Hasegawa kit and an MDC converstion kit.

Hi Jack. thank you for your kind comments. I agree, it is lovely kit to work on and yes, it would be good to have a good 1/48 version of it.

On 07/11/2021 at 16:43, AdrianMF said:

Well I wouldn’t have guessed that would work so well. I did light blue over darker blue like that once (basically because I’d chosen the wrong colour) but never that contrasting. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian and thank you. Stippling white over Anthracite was something I tried, initially, on tank interiors. Seemed to work okay and I've tried it out on other kits too, since.

On 07/11/2021 at 18:29, bigbadbadge said:

Great job Stix , the undersides look wonderful.  It is a cracking kit and looks wonderful when complete.   

Looking forward to the topside paintwork now.

Chris

Thank you very much Chris. You'll see I have made a bit of a start on the paintwork, on the upper surfaces, below.

On 08/11/2021 at 08:07, giemme said:

Impressive effect with the white stippling, Stix! :clap: :clap: 

Ciao

Thank you very much Giorgio.

Just a minor update today - not had much time to work on the kit recently.

I applied about three coats of thinned Humbrol Dark Earth to the top surfaces with a large and a medium flat brush. The first two photos show how my paintwork looked after the first thinned coat:

51677811362_4c75ba0ec9_b.jpg

51679496565_5c875851db_b.jpg

You'll also probably notice, in the photos above, that I had applied some pre-shading - using very thinned Revell's Anthracite, applied with a fine pointed brush - but forgot to take the photos of it at just the pre-shade stage :doh:

The next two photos show it with two/three coats. With these coats, I didn't stop - but just went back over areas again, that were dry enough - I find these thinned paints dry quite quicky:

51679496585_703a02acd9_b.jpg

51679496520_09216a33d0_b.jpg

After a little bit of tidying up in places, they should look okay.

Finally I got the yellow bits painted on the prop and spinner and it assembled:

51678616466_55ddbe6e14_b.jpg

The yellow on the spinner was stippled on in very, very thinned coats. This took about four or five coats to look like this. Again, I was hoping for a slightly weathered look.

Next, I will hopefully start applying some green for the camo over the Dark Earth.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 13

On 16/11/2021 at 16:22, 2996 Victor said:

Fabulous work, Stix, the lower surfaces look amazing!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark. That's very kind of you to say, thank you.

On 16/11/2021 at 16:31, giemme said:

Impeccable paint job, Stix :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

Thank you Giorgio. :thumbsup:

On 16/11/2021 at 17:38, jackroadkill said:

She's coming on well, Stix. 

Thank you very much Jack.

On 16/11/2021 at 18:15, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good in the DE paint,  I hope the preshading works okay, like you I am a brush painter and alway post shade as despite my best efforts,  it never shows through!!!

Your paintwork looks great.

Chris

Hi Chris. Yes, I know exactly what you mean. That last layer of paint can certainly make any pre-shading disappear! On this one, they don't show in the photos particularly well but are more evident in person! I think subtle works....(well that's my excuse anyway!)

Not much of an update I'm afraid as I haven't had a great deal of time to work on this.

First off, since last time, I have painted in the green camo areas using a small flat brush to apply several very thinned (with water) coats of Humbrol 116, US Dark Green Matt. I do this all freehand. The paint, especially for the first coat, is applied VERY thinned.

The photo, below, shows the aircraft after I had applied very thinned Revell's Anthracite into the panel lines and dry brushed lighter versions of the Dark Earth and Dark Green over the base colours. You can also see I had started work on the exhaust staining - stippling on very thinned Anthracite and Gunship Grey. I took this actual photo to show how I mask off and stipple on the paint (Revell's Red Brown), for the red dope gun covers:

51695368848_b89f6a1776_b.jpg

You will also be able to see I had fixed the windshield in place and painted the framing. I initially painted the frame with thinned Anthracite before painting on a couple of thinned layers of the Dark Green. I gently use a cocktail stick to remove any paint that goes over what should be the glass areas.

Following some more simple, basic weathering, I got a layer of Pledge (newer version of Klear) applied all over using a medium flat brush. A few photos to show it at this stage:

51695985120_b2ec3e7d4a_b.jpg

51695368823_df8156dcfb_b.jpg

51694301717_fa4c12c536_b.jpg

51695773559_f41d86e0ea_b.jpg

51695368798_1f6671c51c_b.jpg

Next week I hope to be able to start getting the decals on.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 13

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

First off, since last time, I have painted in the green camo areas using a small flat brush to apply several very thinned (with water) coats of Humbrol 116, US Dark Green Matt. I do this all freehand. The paint, especially for the first coat, is applied VERY thinned.

I aspire to get half this good at brush painting... amazing. I have also been brush painting my Hurricane camo freehand, and find with the second colour that it is quite difficult to effectively apply it "VERY thinned" because it "runs away" on me (e.g., flows into panel lines, down onto underside camo, pools in lower spots) . May I ask if you have this issue? If so, how do you mitigate it? 

Also, the underside is actually spectacular, especially the white half. I could go on... the landing lights framing (is that PE?), the exhaust staining, the machine gun dope, all done with such skill! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2021 at 12:48, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo this is looking really nice Stix, great paint work .  I use the same method on my  glazing too.

Chris

Hi Chris, and thank you. Cool that you use the same method. It's okay for these fairly simply glazed aircraft. A while back I purchased a 1/72nd Airfix Mk.I Blenheim but I think it may be a bit more of a challenge..........possibly the reason I haven't started it yet! 😱 

On 22/11/2021 at 13:38, giemme said:

Neat job, Stix :clap: This could easily pass for a bigger scale model, 1/48 at least :worthy: 

Ciao

Hi Giorgio. Thank you. But you are too kind as always.

On 22/11/2021 at 16:13, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I aspire to get half this good at brush painting... amazing. I have also been brush painting my Hurricane camo freehand, and find with the second colour that it is quite difficult to effectively apply it "VERY thinned" because it "runs away" on me (e.g., flows into panel lines, down onto underside camo, pools in lower spots) . May I ask if you have this issue? If so, how do you mitigate it? 

Also, the underside is actually spectacular, especially the white half. I could go on... the landing lights framing (is that PE?), the exhaust staining, the machine gun dope, all done with such skill! 

Hi ModelingEdmontonian. Thank you for your very kind comments and questions.

With regards the paint - I do have my paint very thinned, but I may just be lucky with the brushes I use. I use Humbrol's basic flat brush set and I find they hold a reasonable amount of thinned paint without too much coming out while painting. However, I don't just dip my brush in the watered down paint and then start painting - I do remove some excess paint onto my mixing plate, keeping the brush's bristles flat to the plate, before moving the brush onto the model. I do occasionally get minor runs but, I find I can, usually, quickly wipe them off with a finger. Because the paint is acryic based, and so thinned, I find it doesn't leave much, if any, of a trace. Finally - yes, the landing lights' framing are from the same PE set from Eduard.

Not much of an update again, I'm afraid. I am struggling for time again at the moment, both for modelling and posting on Britmodeller.

I have got a bit more done, just not a lot. Last weekend, as planned, I got the decals all cut out, applied to the model and then a coat of Pledge (new Klear) applied all over them with a medium flat brush. By cutting out the decals - I mean - I cut the decals out as close to the actual printed design as possible - to try and remove as much of the excess clear film from around the decals. This minimises the chance of silvering. This was the result:

51709352677_94bf199dea_b.jpg

51710138451_e81a25d225_b.jpg

51709352757_5f7453e752_b.jpg

51710138406_f8b516daf9_b.jpg

51711021785_637ef2351e_b.jpg

51710816894_7e9c9ee5a3_b.jpg

You can see what I mean - about how I cut out the decals - from my original thread - where I also cut out the decals for my first Hurricane - here:

Hopefully I will get a bit more done over the weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 12

Great work Stix, looks lovely,  don't be put of ghe Blenheim either the method we use for yhe glazing framework works fine and doesn't take as long as you think it will and the feeling of being very pleased with yourself after is very good too.

The Hurricane looks fab.

Chris

• Thanks 1

As a noob here I've really enjoyed digging through your threads / WIPs and seeing what can be done with the hairy stick. Excellent work.

May I ask one question as you are UK based. What variety of Pledge are you using? Do you use it as others have discussed in place of Klear for canopies and decals etc?

• Like 2

On 03/12/2021 at 16:31, GREG DESTEC said:

Lovely work Stix,

Your Hurricane is coming together well. I'm liking the paintwork very much.

Cheers Greg 👍

Hi Greg. Thank you very much for your comments. Most kind!

On 03/12/2021 at 17:41, dogsbody said:

Nice!

Chris

Thank you Chris!

On 04/12/2021 at 13:05, giemme said:

Impeccable stickering,  as always! :worthy: :clap:

Ciao 

Hi Giorgio. You too kind, as always!

On 04/12/2021 at 13:41, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Stix, looks lovely,  don't be put off the Blenheim either the method we use for the glazing framework works fine and doesn't take as long as you think it will and the feeling of being very pleased with yourself after is very good too.

The Hurricane looks fab.

Chris

Hi Chris. Thank you. I got the Blenheim out this morning. I'll plan to get it made sometime next year......I hope....

On 04/12/2021 at 14:59, Freester said:

As a noob here I've really enjoyed digging through your threads / WIPs and seeing what can be done with the hairy stick. Excellent work.

May I ask one question as you are UK based. What variety of Pledge are you using? Do you use it as others have discussed in place of Klear for canopies and decals etc?

Hi Freester and thank you very much for your kind comments.

With regards the Pledge - the one I've got open is this one, which is now quite an old version - probably from around 2014:

51742030369_9ef33637e5_c.jpg

It did still mention the name 'Klear' on the front.

I also have this newer bottle:

51742274325_283ca34954_c.jpg

- probably from a few years later - when someone mentioned even the word 'Klear' had gone from Pledge's newer bottles, back then. I haven't opened this newer version yet, so I cannot comment if it's the same stuff inside. Some modellers thought that, even the version I've got, wasn't exactly the same as original Klear. I use very little so I'm hoping my current, opened bottle, last me a while yet.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well it's taken me a while, but I have now finished this kit and there's some photo's in the RFI section, which can be found here:

After getting the Pledge on, a while back, I did a little bit more subtle weathering before masking off some areas (windscreen, cockpit, lights, etc.) and then spraying it all with some rattle-can Humbrol Matt Varnish. Once the varnish was dry I began to assemble all the remaining parts in place. I must admit I goofed a bit with the canopy. I hadn't realised that, without some work on the upper fuselage sides, behind the cockpit, the canopy would not fit over the sides without some of the area being removed. Having got the paint, Pledge and varnish on, I decide the canopy would, now, normally sit in the closed position. I have made it so it can be removed, so it is still possible to see some of the detail in the cockpit.

So this is what the finished model now looks like:

51738889992_aa80e09e26_b.jpg

51739709661_f30fe3b237_b.jpg

51740350259_c8f0866821_b.jpg

51738896402_c9c90fa3c4_b.jpg

Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment and offer suggestions in this thread. I'm sorry the updates have been so few and far between. Hopefully I'll get more time for modelling and posting on Britmodeller in 2022!

Here's wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 13