Takom full interior King Tiger cut away

metadyne

The Takom Tiger ll with full interior, Ive never done a cut away model before, but I'm a keen one for AFV interiors, I know the old adage, why build what you can't see, well we can see it, on here,

spacer.png

in front of the whole modelling community, I find the interiors of tanks just as interesting as the exteriors, seeing the crew stations where men fought, lived and sometimes died.  

• Like 4

It's a big complex kit so lets take the lid off and see what it's like

spacer.png

The first cut is always the hardest, takes a lot of conviction to make it, and I'm sure it will make for an interesting build.

spacer.png

Edited by metadyne
add extra picture
  • Like 6

The King Tiger is a favorite for a lot of people, some may look at what I'm doing as a barbaric act of vandalism of a very expensive kit.  Tink Is looking at me as If I'm mad, but at least he gets to sit in a new box with what he thinks is his title on it, all be it inverted.

spacer.png

I'm cutting off the whole left side sponson side, to replicate the artwork above, this is really going for it, I could make tentative cuts to individual armour plate, but I'm going the whole hog and removing a third of the kit in one fair swoop. There's no going back now, I'm totally commited now.

spacer.png

• Like 9

the early stages of building up the hull interior involves making the drivers compartment and the gearbox and transmission area. But first the hull belly supports and the torsion bars.

spacer.png

while that lot sets, time to build the drivers seat, it's a mini kit in it's own right.

spacer.png

a dozen parts make up the drivers seat.

dozen_parts_for_drivers_seat_bugfk9.jpg

the gearbox transmission constructed outside the hull, let thos items harden off while I continue with the hull interior.

spacer.png

Edited by metadyne
add extra picture
  • Like 10

I'm really please all this detail work won't be lost, but even if I was doing it closed up, I'd not regret the kit showing me the anatomy of the legendary King Tiger.

spacer.png

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Just found this, excellent work! 👍

...it would be crazy not to have the interior visible with such nice detail... are you going to complete the other side "sliced off" bit too ?

no it's cut as far as I'm going, if you remove too much all the shell racks and turret mounted gear would be in mid air. I'm using the box art as a guide.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, simmerit said:

Now that must have taken some bottle!!!!!

too right, it's a gamble, you never know if an idea like this will work until the final step.

the transmissionan and gearbox, such an excellent little sub- assembly, it was a pleasure to build. 

spacer.png

making a start on the uncut side, fitting the Torsion bar axle ends

spacer.png

the transmission painted in it's base colour and fitted.

spacer.png

the first of the track around the sprocket

spacer.png 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, metadyne said:

no it's cut as far as I'm going, if you remove too much all the shell racks and turret mounted gear would be in mid air. I'm using the box art as a guide.

I meant were you going to complete the bits you cut off to make up the small section as if the tank had driven thru a giant band saw ! 

Might be interesting to display it with the completed "cut off bit" alongside as it's got a whole side of wheels, track, suspension etc.. Just a thought :)

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 5:24 PM, Pig of the Week said:

I meant were you going to complete the bits you cut off to make up the small section as if the tank had driven thru a giant band saw ! 

Might be interesting to display it with the completed "cut off bit" alongside as it's got a whole side of wheels, track, suspension etc.. Just a thought :)

nice idea, but not what I have in mind for this one as I'm inspired by the box art, I had thought of doing an interior model sat next to the exterior on the same base. More like a science museum project though.

• Like 1

next stage, the cut in the front plate has to be filled to look as if a gas axe has gone clean through.

spacer.png

components for the engine bay being prepared.

spacer.png

• Like 5

the hull machine gun is an interesting little sub assembly too.

spacer.png

the hull in base green.

spacer.png

I'm leaving the hull gunners hatch open to let a shaft of sunlight come in from above.

spacer.png

• Like 3

with the hull roof test fit ok, time to finish the track on the uncut side.

spacer.png

constant touch ups and test fits to ensure everything goes together for the final assembly

spacer.png

• Like 7

A decision, late in the day, to leave off the rear armour in it's entirety to expose more of the engine bay inside

spacer.png

planning ahead for the turret cut line. To leave the cupola ring in place

spacer.png

• Like 8