Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR 1/12 (Tamiya 14109)

Ian T

Try switching to lacquers. All the brands I've tried are about the same and spray great when using Mr Hobby levelling thinners. Hot weather is great for fast drying and you can lay down multiple thin coats quickly. I have two moisture traps on my setup to deal with humidity.

• Like 2

On 29/12/2021 at 10:03, gamblor916 said:

Try switching to lacquers. All the brands I've tried are about the same and spray great when using Mr Hobby levelling thinners. Hot weather is great for fast drying and you can lay down multiple thin coats quickly. I have two moisture traps on my setup to deal with humidity.

Thanks @gamblor916, I wasn’t sure if humidity would be a problem, so going from your comments I guess that it is. I’ve got a single moisture trap, do you think that would be sufficient?

2 hours ago, Ian T said:

Thanks @gamblor916, I wasn’t sure if humidity would be a problem, so going from your comments I guess that it is. I’ve got a single moisture trap, do you think that would be sufficient?

On the odd humid day I've had spots of water spitting out and ruining a day's work. Since adding this attachment I haven't had any problems.  Check your moisture trap regularly. Queensland would be have more sunny days than not, so great for painting year round.

I suspect your issues with the clear is paint based. From my experience acrylics feel soft and rubbery and don't polish well.

9 hours ago, gamblor916 said:

On the odd humid day I've had spots of water spitting out and ruining a day's work. Since adding this attachment I haven't had any problems.  Check your moisture trap regularly. Queensland would be have more sunny days than not, so great for painting year round.

I suspect your issues with the clear is paint based. From my experience acrylics feel soft and rubbery and don't polish well.

“Soft and rubbery” is exactly the feel that I get. Most of the time they are OK, but occasionally it seems that the paint hasn’t hardened properly, I do check the moisture trap regularly but I’ll have a look into the unit that you use, thanks for that. I have a feeling that I may be spraying the paint to thickly as well. Thanks for the help and advice @gamblor916.

I’m not sure why I was fretting so much about getting a good paint finish with the green ….. there’s not much of it left visible!!

51800772144_ebef41a565_b.jpg

• Like 4

All finished ready for the final assembly, so I’ll be starting a “Ready for Inspection” with the completed photos soon.

51808930456_473b3f3206_b.jpg

• Like 3