Demon slayer! Ki-44 Shoki (Tojo), Hasagawa, 1/72

Ki-44 | Hasegawa | 1/72

47th Sentai, Narimasu, 1945

Vw6KYrg.jpg

Finished this on 10/4/2021.  This may have been the oldest kit in my stash -- part of a set of kits my parents gifted to me for Christmas in college.  The Tojo is a neat plane -- bigger than normal engine, small body and tiny wings.  It's very unusual looking and has quickly become a favorite of mine.

The hinamaru decals were very bright red, so I chose to paint the national markings along with those on the Frank build I was doing at the same time.  The cockpit was a featureless tub, So I scratch built a new one, which was probably a waste of time because its so hard to see in the tiny opening in the top.

Not a whole lot to say.  Typical Hasegawa fit, which combined with the small part count, made it go together very quickly. 

Finishing:  gaps filled with CA

Paint: base coat of decanted Tamiya TS-30 Silver leaf, some panels painted with Alclad white aluminum and others with Mr. Color Super Metallic stainless steel > Testors Insignia Red for the hinamaru, Mr. Color 311 for the "Bandages" around the Hinamaru > Hataka RLM 02 for the yellow leading edges > Testors Ford Engine red for the tail.

kSUDPVb.jpg

lmrYPJu.jpg

65yimkx.jpg

ns1jJvk.jpg

rk51Hpf.jpg

6hGyZxw.jpg

1hVVPBw.jpg

TtOEV7J.jpg

xbKdWe5.jpg

Rs87OJj.jpg

gJODYjT.jpg

Y5O5IWa.jpg

The original cockpit:

0KwtqYB.jpg

My scratch built cockpit:

oqyExvb.jpg

WG0XXYc.jpg

5uTPKJs.jpg

Scratch built side wall detail:

p36bf9k.jpg

iu1LYBI.jpg

Hope you like it!  Questions, comments and constructive criticism always welcome!

Edited by opus999
  • Like 44

Nice job on this little gem.  I have had this kit in my stash for over 30 years along with a True Details cockpit set. Yet it is still not even started.

Thanks for sharing this with us.  

Todders.

• Thanks 1

For the extra effort, it`s worthwhile to dress up the spartan interior on this kit.  It turned out great and I look forward to the upcoming Ki-100.  :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

For the extra effort, it`s worthwhile to dress up the spartan interior on this kit.  It turned out great and I look forward to the upcoming Ki-100.  :like:

Mike

It was fun to make a better looking cockpit, but the opening is so small it's hard to see. :( The Ki-100 is coming along nicely -- another interesting  aircraft! 

Absolutely beautiful! :clap2::clap2:

I too am a fan of the Tojo for much the same reasons you stated.

When I built my Hasegawa kit, I placed a pilot in the seat to conceal the lack of cockpit detail. 🤫

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2021 at 8:28 PM, kapam said:

Absolutely beautiful! :clap2::clap2:

I too am a fan of the Tojo for much the same reasons you stated.

When I built my Hasegawa kit, I placed a pilot in the seat to conceal the lack of cockpit detail. 🤫

Thanks!  Yeah... the cockpit was fun to do, but I'm disappointed I can't really see it anymore. A pilot probably would've been an easier and quicker solution! :D 

39 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I watched the WIP on this Tojo and the finished model is superb. You should be very pleased with this one!

Terry

Thanks Terry it was nice to have you along!  Yeah, this one is a new favorite on the shelf -- but it doesn't hurt to have a red and white on bare metal scheme to look at either! :D 

• Like 1