Eduard 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 10

Hello everyone,

This is Eduard's 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 that I finished in mid-September. The kit is inaccurate for a Spanish aircraft, so I've replaced the windscreen with a vac-formed example from Falcon and rebuilt the fuselage spine with plastic card and CA. The ailerons have been extended as well. Paint is mainly Mr Color applied freehand with an airbrush. The national markings are airbrushed and the only decals are the serials on the tail (which are the wrong font). The plan was to build this in 48 hours, but rather than two days, it took two weeks. 

I've written an article on this which I believe will appear in the November issue of SAM, so grab that if you want the full story :)

Comments welcome,

Cheers

Jon

I16_13.jpg

I16_05.jpg

I16_04.jpg

I16_02.jpg

I16_11.jpg

I16_18.jpg

I16_19.jpg

I16_20.jpg

I16_23.jpg

I16_24.jpg

I16_34.jpg

I16_37.jpg

I16_39.jpg

I16_40.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Thanks everyone 👍

1 hour ago, boom.boom said:

Please, could you tell us something about wearing processes you used? 

It's a mismash of techniques:

1. Airbrushing different shades of the base colours through mottle masks.

2. A layer of tan-coloured Liquitex ink heavily thinned with X-20A.

3. Pin wash of AK Interactive Streaking Grime.

4. A more liberal wash using the same product then removed in a streaking fashion with brushes dampened in thinner.

5. Some AK Interactive Weathering Pencils in places of high relief, blended with brush and water.

6. Fuselage chips added with Vallejo paint and a sponge.

7. Prop weathered using the hairspray technique.

8. Various shades of oil paint were used for discolouring different areas.

HTH

Jon

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Very nice!

Splendid Mosca :)

Could you elaborate a bit on the canopy issues? I was not aware of any! But your canopy looks very pointy!

Sure. Spanish I-16s like this one had a locally manufactured canopy. You can see it clearly in photos on this website: http://modelismomilitarehistoria.blogspot.com/2019/05/el-polikarpov-i-16-en-espana-en-octubre.html

There are at least 2 (maybe 4) photos of this particular airframe.

Cheers

Jon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon Bryon said:

Sure. Spanish I-16s like this one had a locally manufactured canopy. You can see it clearly in photos on this website: http://modelismomilitarehistoria.blogspot.com/2019/05/el-polikarpov-i-16-en-espana-en-octubre.html

There are at least 2 (maybe 4) photos of this particular airframe.

thanks a lot for this docuement! newer new those differences!, also did not know that some were re-engined with Wright motors!

seems that canopy was the only one Spanish engineers could build in Spain after the war! flat panels is way easier than the round ones I guess!