Revell BAE Hawk decals

modelmaker

Greetings friends, I've just bought a lovely little 1/72 Revell Red Arrows Hawk, the modern tooling from 2015, and I wonder if anyone has experience with the transfers/decals, specifically whether they are opaque enough not to turn pink over the red paintwork. I've learned from bitter experience never to trust light transfers over powerful, or dark surfaces. I used some 'museum quality' transfers once and they were basically transparent. If I know in advance I might consider painting as much of the white as I can. Any thoughts, or indeed if you know how they'll fare over the red I'd be very grateful, thank you. 

Thanks Paul, that's just what I needed to know. I have on occasion masked and painted  schemes that would otherwise rely on the decals being up to the job (like DDay stripes), and always try to find a bit of un-used white to sacrifice first if I WAS going to try to use the transfers,  just to see,  but you can't always do that with a one scheme model if there is no 'spare' white. I always scan the decals/transfers first as well and have, occasionally, 'printed' on white decal paper with a little bit of colour around the white part then airbrushed up to the printed colour once applied, but it is a royal pain to do and always second best, (although better than nothing), to using the markings from the kit IF ONLY YOU COULD DEPEND ON THEM!!

Cheers mate, really appreciated!

I forgot to say Paul, that Hawk does look lovely!  Out of curiosity I wonder what red you used?  I'm an old fossil Humbrol enamel dinosaur (works for me though) and did my little Gnat Red Arrow in their gloss red no.19 and it looks beautiful, if not terribly well made (some fragile parts in clumsy hands)

Edited by modelmaker
Giving up trying to add pictures!
  • Like 1

Was hoping to add a picture of my little Red Arrows Gnat but seem to be too dense to get from OneDrive on my phone to here. I 'spose I CAN do it from my mobile?  I've no idea. It looks pretty nonetheless, even though you can't se it. And the transfers were opaque, they didn't go pink!  Thanks Mr Airfix. 

Edited by modelmaker
As above

Phew!  Flickr triumphs over OneDrive!  My little tiny Airfix Gnat, onto which the transfers went with no trouble, in other words not pink. It needs a bigger brother hence the Hawk, when I get 5 minutes. Thanks again to Paul. 

And Flickr .....

7 hours ago, modelmaker said:

I forgot to say Paul, that Hawk does look lovely!  Out of curiosity I wonder what red you used?  

Thanks! I used Model Master Acryl Guards Red, with a little Yellow added, which was the closest red I had at the time.