RAF Tornado GR4 pods and bombs

Wafu

One for the Tonka buffs out there. I’m on my second GR4 in 1/32 and wanted to add a slight spin on the standard wing things. So I’ve plumbed for the standard Hindenburg tanks, set of Brassin AIM 132’s, Brassin GBU 49’s x2, Brassin Brimstone launcher, Brassin BOZ 107 and a TIALD pod.

So this is where some help comes in, I’d like to convert a BOZ pod into the AC-130 TERMA ECM pod. I believe that this pod does have the shell of a standard BOZ but with extra ECM tiles, strake and flare mounts? Can anyone confirm this and give me some usable pictures to scratchbuild from?

Secondly, the Brimstone missile launches is at an angle on the long mount, what’s the angle?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, petetasker said:

Hello mate Have you looked at the Air Graphics website. They do a 1/72 AC130 pod and there’s a few photos and drawings of it on their site.

Hi Pete, Yes mate, I’ve placed an order for one but wondered if it’s accurate?

Hi Wafu

A couple of things if your interested, the Tornado GR4 didn't carry the GBU-49, it was Paveway IV's which are similar but there are differences. Also the Tiald pod wasn't carried at this point it was the Litening pod by the time the Paveway IV was on the scene.

L' Arsenal do Paveway IV and Terma pods but not sure if they'll do them in 1/32. 

11 hours ago, Muzz said:

Hi Wafu

A couple of things if your interested, the Tornado GR4 didn't carry the GBU-49, it was Paveway IV's which are similar but there are differences. Also the Tiald pod wasn't carried at this point it was the Litening pod by the time the Paveway IV was on the scene.

L' Arsenal do Paveway IV and Terma pods but not sure if they'll do them in 1/32. 

Many thanks Muzz, PM sent.

Hi @Wafu

I can't remember the exact angles on the Brimstone launchers (I did make some 1/32 Brimstone masters once for a company but they never saw the light of day) but the rear pylon launchers are more acute than the forward ones.

I scratchbuilt the TERMA pod from the kit BOZ 107 using eyeball measurements.

The build details are on this page:

Brassin do a Litening pod in 1/32 which also comes with decals which is worth getting. I have one and the Brassin Brimstones for my Italeri GR4 as well.

Alan

Thanks Pete, Muzz and Alan for your posts in response to my questions, lots to go on.

I’ve sourced a few parts, http://flyingstartmodels.com/Flying-Start-Models-Recce-and-Laser-Pods.html for the correct pod and I have the Brassin Brimstones, just got to make the TERMA pod from Alan’s build thread and the angled launcher from Alan’s thread.

I’m going to put a request out in the wanted section for a set of the smaller tanks from the Revell 1/32 Tonka kits. The large tanks just look very overwhelming on each wing.

Thanks again, lots to think about and do.

As has been mentioned the angle of the forward starboard Brimstone Triple launch unit is shallower than those at the rear but perhaps this sequence of ZA473 in partial No.14 Squadron markings departing RAF Lossiemouth in late September 2007 might help.

Other stores are Sky Shadow outer port pylon , ballasted BOZ-107 outer starboard pylon , 330 Gallon/1500 Litre droptanks on the inner pylons , ALARM on the inner pylon outside shoulder rails , RAIDS on the starboard inner pylon inside shoulder rail , AIM-9 acquisition round on the port inner pylon inside shoulder rail , TIALD on the forward port fuselage position.

p?i=2d4a1aa3eb37e429447d7c4b1736ff06

p?i=b6a8679d32f587482cad0fd4efaefc7d

p?i=3bedc614c020b6062149e4f7b060ac16

p?i=2e76e12c9581d98b80ec718f1216db95

p?i=4d15291f15a5c370f3a0c0993dd79db4

p?i=dc621a8e374c2ce94da1dbfab38d7bbb

• Like 3