Mosquito two stage Merlin question

Jimbo

Hi all

I've been looking through photos online of Mosquitos (mainly B XVI) as inspiration to start the new Airfix kit (as if I need any more inspiration than the excellent Freightdog resin sets I've just received!).

Looking at pics on World War Photos (https://www.worldwarphotos.info/) I'm really surprised how much the intercooler intake shape seems to change according to the viewing angle.

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/mosquito2/mosquito-xvi-cookie/

The pic above seems to have thicker 'lips' as opposed to:

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/mosquito2/mosquito-xvi/

I keep flicking through various pictures tryng to find two taken from the same angle. I take it that is IS just a question of angle/perspective,and there weren't two different shapes?

Apologies if this is a silly question, but I think I'm starting to go cross eyed!

Many thanks

Jim

Jim, very interesting observation. I have gone through all my 8 Group pictures of  Mosquito B.XVI's  and there seem's to be no  logical variation in the inlet size  to various production serial's. The deeper inlet would have allowed better cooling so maybe it was a modification  added towards the later part of the war ?

On 08/10/2021 at 13:42, Jimbo said:

take it that is IS just a question of angle/perspective,and there weren't two different shapes?

I'm not aware of any change to the intercooler or it's inlet shape on production Mosquitos.

It's quite a subtle and complex shape, with a different viewing and lighting angles the highlights appear on different parts of the intake which gives the impression of  different shape/sized inlets.

The difference seems quite significant suggesting it is more than a different camera angle at play but not sure which version the new Airfix B.XVI comes with but presumably both could be correct as I'm also not aware of any mods that would have been associated with the change.

The inlet of the Mossie in the second photo is definitely larger for some reason but all the photos I have of two stage Merlin versions show the shallower and more curved intake size so perhaps this one was a one-off for some reason?

Regards

Colin.

10 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

The inlet of the Mossie in the second photo is definitely larger for some reason

I'm not seeing any difference in the size or shape of the intake in the two photo's linked above that isn't accounted for by changes in viewing angle and lighting.  

• Like 2

That's the one and I don't see any differences either. The air and oil coolant radiators are in the leading edge of the wing, the carburettor intake is below the nacelle and the intake for the two-stage intercooler radiator is the one referred to - the chin intake just at the front of the nacelle. Building the Airfix kit @72nd SQN opened up his intakes a little (and also modified the carb intakes).

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235099596-airfix-172-mosquito-modified-to-prxvi/

It's obviously a tricky shape but I think it's light reflections (and maybe paint colour) that make it look subtly different in many pictures.

• Like 1

Two points:

1: Being a photographer, I notice that the first picture is taken in direct sunlight, whereas the second is taken in an overcast situation. This has a significant effect on how the shadows are cast and how the shape is perceived.

2: Being an engineer as well, I would doubt very much that the intake was changed, once the aircraft was in production. It would have been a very costly effort, as the presses that were used to manufacture the intake would have been scrapped and new ones produced. Such changes would only be undertaken if the intake had serious faults not found during development - a very unlikely occurrence. A lot of effort went into the prototype work and there was at the time an acute understanding of how airflow behaved, and, if time permitted, airflow could be and was tested in wind tunnels.

The second point, I admit, is pure conjecture, but based on what tales I have come across from the people that actually designed and produced these very advanced machines. There exist on the internet a number of interviews that are worth seeking out, if you are interested in this aspect.

/Finn 

• Like 3

Hi

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments on this.

I did think it rather unlikely that if there had been two different shapes that it hadn't come up before and I was the first to notice, lol🙂 As Finn says, the lighting conditions differ, the shadows playing quite a part in how the intake looks. It is quite a complex shape round there - I'd seen how @72nd SQN had opened them up a bit, a route I'll definitely follow.

Off to look at my Airfix Mossie - from different angles 🙂

Thank you all again

Best wishes

Jim

Interesting, since I am halfway through a build of this kit.  I agree with Finn that a change in inlet shape and size would be unlikely. Part of the apparent difference is I think being caused by the shadows on the sunlit photo. The spinner shadow makes the upper lip of the inlet look different.

Meantime, I am trying to decide the shape of the rear of the bomb bay bulge. The kit provides a cutaway bulge suitable for a TT Mk 35 I believe, so some filler needed !

Very much in a minority I know but for me the intakes still look to be different, however as I'm not currently building the kit I'll defer to those with keener eyesight!

As for the aft fairing then yes it needs to be smoothed off with filler to correct although does the new Freightdog resin set for the kit include this possibly?

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishplanebeer said:

As for the aft fairing then yes it needs to be smoothed off with filler to correct although does the new Freightdog resin set for the kit include this possibly?

Regards

Colin.

Yes, the Freightdog set corrects this as well as the external bumps on the bomb bay doors. 

• Thanks 1