Kinetic Gold Harrier GR3. 1(F) Sqn, Op Corporate, HMS Hermes, 1982. Cockpit done!

Hey everyone

So whilst I'm waiting for the satin coat to dry on my Tempest in preparation for weathering my thoughts turn to my next build.

I have plenty of started kits (1/48 Revell Phantom, Tornado F.3 and GR4) but theses are all full of resin and etch upgrades (the Phantom is looking good but its just a little too involved at the moment) 

and I gotta be honest I need something that I can just build straight OOB and this is my choice..

P1040315

..the Kinetic 1/48 Harrier GR3 which I intend to build as XV997, Op Corporate, Falklands Conflict, 1982. It will be OOB other than seat belts which will be from Eduard as life is too short trying to

recreate them from bits of foil only for them not to meet my expectations and the seat is quite a prominent part of the cockpit. I'll be referring to @Lord Riot build for any pointers as his turned

out rather splendidly.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow, thanks, that is quite some accolade! From what I remember it builds nicely out of the box, I’m looking forward to seeing yours. I did mine as an early (pointed nose) GR.3 but I’m keen to get another to do as a laser nose. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Wow, thanks, that is quite some accolade! From what I remember it builds nicely out of the box, I’m looking forward to seeing yours. I did mine as an early (pointed nose) GR.3 but I’m keen to get another to do as a laser nose. 

Credit where credits due, it was your build that brought the Kenetic kit to my attention and the finished article looked great. 

Cheers buddy

Iain

• Thanks 1

Hey everyone

Well I've had a rather pleasant afternoon working on my Harrier. I've sprayed the cockpit interior with Tamiya XF4 yellow green in preparation for some weathering in the cockpit. I've had some Ammo Mig chipping fluid for what seems like forever and looking at pictures of the Harriers cockpit it quite apparent that that got pretty beat up, so I laid down the base coat (XF4) and sprayed on the chipping fluid followed by XF82m it will be interesting to see how it turns out?..

P1040317

P1040324

And I've had fun painting up the IP, the detail on the kit really is very good...

P1040321

..the opaque blob in the middle is some Kristal Clear applied to the moving map screen?

Cheers

Iain

• Like 7

• Mike changed the title to Kinetic Gold Harrier GR3. 1(F) Sqn, Op Corporate, HMS Hermes, 1982.

Hey everyone

Well what a pleasant day I had yesterday, I spent it giving my Tempest a lovely satin coat (Winsor & Newton Galeria thinned with X20A - Highly recommend it!) and I managed to finish my Harrier cockpit to a fairy decent standard

and OOB it looks pretty good...

IMG_2808

IMG_2809

IMG_2810

and with the MK9 fitted (its just had a base coat of X69 at the mo - no detail painting at all)..

IMG_2811

IMG_2812

IMG_2813

I'm very impressed with this kit from Kinetic and looking round the tinterweb I can't find many (if any) negative comments about it.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 6

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Kinetic Gold Harrier GR3. 1(F) Sqn, Op Corporate, HMS Hermes, 1982. Cockpit done!
13 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

That cockpit is superb. The well used look is so realistic, brilliant colours.

Hiya

Thanks mate, as you know it builds up really well out of the box all I did was slop some paint on.

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Good progress Iain, the cockpit looks great.

I’m tempted by one of these but at my current build rate it would be about 10 years before I got around to starting  it!

John

Hi John

Thanks mate. The Kinetic kit is a real gem, from what I can see it has no real vices and once finished it really captures the look of a Harrier. 

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Iain, seen nothing on this for a while, hope you’re well.

I’ve given in to temptation and requested one for Christmas from SWMBO. It will be the AV8S Matador boxing which contains all the bits for the GR1/GR3 versions, because for some unknown reason it is cheaper in this part of the world.

John

Hey John

I haven’t done any kind of modelling for weeks now, absolutely no enthusiasm at all. I intend to remodel (no pun intended) my workshop in the new year and hopefully get my mojo back.

The kit is absolutely fantastic and I really can’t praise it enough, you won’t be disappointed.

Have a fab Christmas and a very prosperous and safe new year.

Iain

There seems to be a lot of it (lack of mojo) about at the moment, there have been quite a few of the regular names missing here recently and I haven't done much myself. Perhaps it's the time of year or the present world wide gloomy circumstances.

Have a good Christmas and hope to see the thread back soon.

John