Tamiya Lacquer paint & compatible thinners

Starspell

Can anyone tell me if MR Color Levelling Thinners is compatible to thin Tamiya lacquer paint (LP-21)for airbrushing. ......... or do I need to buy Tamiyas own lacquer thinner?

Cheers for the replies guys, glad to know it works fine. Didn't want to try it and gunk up my AB 🥴 if it was incompatible.

FYI......just tried it and results look great 😁

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

....gents, can I possibly add to this question? Can you have Tamiya Lacquer Thinner to thin Mr Color Super Metallic 2 paints OR do I have to use the Tamiya Lacquer Thinner WITH retarder or the Mr Color Rapid thinner?

Thanks so much.....

Hi @Riggers

Can you have Tamiya Lacquer Thinner to thin Mr Color Super Metallic 2 paints.

Yup!

If you are new to Mr Color Super Metallic 2, I suggest you try various thinning ratios and various undercoats to see what works best for you.

As far as undercoats go, I found recently that a manually-polished thin coat of neutral grey (any semi-gloss Mr hobby H-series) gives me a smoother finish than a gloss black one. Your mileage may vary, I may just be bad at spraying gloss paints.

....oh! I've watched 2 YouTube videos where they say to use either Tamiya retarder OR Mr Color Rapid for metallics!

But from your experience, I can use Tamiya Lacquer Thinner with good results.

Happy days & thanks so much for the response.

Kind regards....

On 8/30/2023 at 8:15 AM, cpoud117 said:

Hi @Riggers

Can you have Tamiya Lacquer Thinner to thin Mr Color Super Metallic 2 paints.

Yup!

If you are new to Mr Color Super Metallic 2, I suggest you try various thinning ratios and various undercoats to see what works best for you.

As far as undercoats go, I found recently that a manually-polished thin coat of neutral grey (any semi-gloss Mr hobby H-series) gives me a smoother finish than a gloss black one. Your mileage may vary, I may just be bad at spraying gloss paints.

....can you please confirm the following:

Tamiya Lacquer Thinner is for Metallics & 'normal' Tamiya LP range paints

Mr Color Lacquer Rapid Retarder (same as Tamiya with Retarder) is for gloss finishes ONLY

What would I then use for Mr Colour UV Varnish Matt finish?

Thanks again.......

Hi @Riggers

• Tamiya Lacquer Thinner is for Metallics & 'normal' Tamiya LP range paints
    • Most (if not every) lacquer will work with Tamiya Lacquer, metallic or not, Tamiya or not.

• Mr Color Lacquer Rapid Retarder (same as Tamiya with Retarder) is for gloss finishes ONLY
    • Mr Color Rapid has no Retarder, it's meant to dry fast and is supposed to help achieve good metallic finishes.
    • Tamiya Laquer and Mr Color leveling thinner both are pre-mixed with a retarding agent to prevent drying on the airbrush tip and allow the paint to "level" before drying.
    • That being said, I've sprayed Mr Color Super Metallic lacquers with Tamiya Laquer thinner and Mr Color leveling thinner with good results. I'm not sure the Rapid Thinner is going to change your game.

• What would I then use for Mr Colour UV Varnish Matt finish?
    • Mr Color Leveling Thinner

A quick trial on a paint mule is the best way to get confortable with a new product, don't rush it :)