Hawker Hunter colour sceme

Hampshirehog222

For many years a Hawker hunter E 423 lay in an airfield near my home as part of SWWAPS. My next project is to build this aircraft from an Airfix kit, unless anyone can name a better alternative.

My idea is to paint half the aircraft as it would have looked as a serving aircraft with the Danish Air Force and the the other as it ended up looking very sorry for itself. My question is what colour scheme did Hunter's serving with DAF have?

I have done a little research on this aircraft but haven't found any really good images, so I'm turning to you for help!

Also, does anyone know of any aftermarket decals suitable for my project? 

Many thanks in advance

On 10/8/2021 at 10:17 AM, Hampshirehog222 said:

For many years a Hawker hunter E 423 lay in an airfield near my home as part of SWWAPS. My next project is to build this aircraft from an Airfix kit, unless anyone can name a better alternative.

My idea is to paint half the aircraft as it would have looked as a serving aircraft with the Danish Air Force and the the other as it ended up looking very sorry for itself. My question is what colour scheme did Hunter's serving with DAF have?

I have done a little research on this aircraft but haven't found any really good images, so I'm turning to you for help!

Also, does anyone know of any aftermarket decals suitable for my project? 

Many thanks in advance

During the 1960s, RDAF Hunters had their factory applied finish of green/grey camo on the uppersurface with aluminum undersurfaces. In the early 1970s Hunters (but also Drakens,  Super Sabres and Starfighters) received a "nice" uniform dark olive green scheme  that, unfortunately had the nasty habit to quickly deteriorate in a horrible way, looking old, dirty and extermely weathered after a short time...

This sheet ( sheduled for release in 2022) should give you some possibilites to build a.o. two RDAF birds:

Hi-Decal HD 48029 Hawker Hunter F.4 / F.6 / FGA.9 / FR.10 / T.66 "Desert birds of prey" (9)
* E-417 - F.51 (F.4) Royal Danish Air Force 1963, standard (green/grey over silver) camouflage with colorful unit insignia,
* E-410 - F.51 (F.4) Royal Danish Air Force 1974 , in overall olive green scheme,

* 140 - F.52 (F.4) Peruvian Air Force 1962, standard (green/grey over silver) camouflage with colorful unit insignia, 

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Diego said:

During the 1960s, RDAF Hunters had their factory applied finish of green/grey camo on the uppersurface with aluminum undersurfaces. In the early 1970s Hunters (but also Super Sabres and Starfighters) received a "nice" uniform dark olive green scheme  that, unfortunately had the nasty habit to quickly deteriorate in a horrible way, looking old, dirty and extermely weathered after a short time...

This sheet ( sheduled for release in 2022) should give you some possibilites to build a.o. two RDAF birds:

Hi-Decal HD 48029 Hawker Hunter F.4 / F.6 / FGA.9 / FR.10 / T.66 "Desert birds of prey" (9)
* E-411 - F.51 (F.4) Royal Danish Air Force 1963, standard (green/grey over silver) camouflage with colorful unit insignia,
* E-410 - F.51 (F.4) Royal Danish Air Force 1974 , in overall olive green scheme,

* 140 - F.52 (F.4) Peruvian Air Force 1962, standard (green/grey over silver) camouflage with colorful unit insignia, 

Greetings

Diego

That´s cool, thanks for the heads-up! Sounds like decals I might wanna buy. :)

Sounds like the same colour as the Danish Drakens had for a while too..?

• Like 1

@Hampshirehog222 E-423 is/was an Fm 51 and was fitted with the earlystandard wing (no "dog tooth or outboard pylons) so if 1/48th is your scale the Airfix F. 4/5 will be your kit of choice.  In 1/72th the Revell F. 6 would be a good starting point (separate wing leadin0g edges) but it needs a new jet pipe and tailcone to reflect the slimmer "small-bore" Avon 100-series engine used in Hunter single seaters prior to the F. 6.

Edited by stever219
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Hampshirehog222 said:

Thanks stever219. I was thinking 1/48 scale for this project/experiment. Anything I should add or change to that kit.?

My pleasure @Hampshirehog222.  The Airfix kit is a bit of a mongrel; although it includes the earlier leading edges of the Mks. 1 and 4 the centre fuselage has all of the vents and intakes around the engine of the Mk, 6.  Aerocraft models produce a resin centre fuselage with these corrected fo the Mk. 4 (and Mk. 1) but it’s a little awkward to install.  

The link ejector chutes adjacent to the rear sections of the Sabrinas are a bit basic and could, at least, do with being drilled out or being replaced with short lengths of tube.  One aftermarket supplier (CMK or Pavla?) markets resin replacements, describing them as oxygen charging points IIRC🤣🤣🤣.

Other minor tweaks could be to trim the outboard trailing edges of the ailerons to reduce the sweep angle and to replace the last 1/8 inch of the solid fin/tailplane junction fairing with a similarly-shaped piece of clear plastic to represent the aft navigation light. None of these, apart from the engine area, are major jobs and even if you don’t fancy any of them your model can still be made into a very presentable representation of one of the most handsome military aeroplanes ever designed.

I don't know the exact colours of the Hunter in Danish service, but I love the sound of your project and look forward to your build. FYI, if you go for the Airfix F4 be careful with the leading edge, I had trouble with mine.

Good luck with your build.

On 10/10/2021 at 10:19 PM, Hampshirehog222 said:

It does appear that originally all Hunters were painted dark sea grey/dark green camouflage, transitioning to an overall green colour. Just as Diego said. Anyone know what green was used? 

I need to check my references for the exact FS color used. Of course, this would be valid only for a "new ", i.e not weathered paint only, the color becoming matt and much more lighter, as seen on the great shots posted here. 

5 hours ago, Diego said:

I need to check my references for the exact FS color used. Of course, this would be valid only for a "new ", i.e not weathered paint only, the color becoming matt and much more lighter, as seen on the great shots posted here. 

Yes I guess you're right. But a starting point would be great to have. Thanks again for help. 

The RDAF Olive Green corresponds indeed to FS14079 (Glossy) . Many thanks for the link Markus :)

It is however worth noting that the color deteriorated quickly into a lighter matt olive-brown, giving all the RDAF planes a patchy and dirty look. 

Alf Blume's shots posted above as a link are a real treasure to correctly recreate these birds.

Greetings

Diego

• Like 2

Do NOT use the Hunter in the Danish aviation museum in Stauning as a reference if you intend to make a realistic replica of a Danish Hunter! There were a lot of errors made during the restoration of this aircraft: Although the colours and camouflage scheme are close to being correct, other details are way off, including the size of the fuselage number ("401").

The Danish Hunters were delivered in what I am convenced was the standard RAF green/grey camouflage scheme of the time with NMF underside. The link to Alf Blume´s Flickr album mentioned by Phantom726 above shows more or less what you need to do a correct Danish Hunter, either in green/grey camouflage or the later standard green scheme (but do not use Alf´s pictures of 401 in the museum!)

Stoppel Decals also made decals for the RDAF Hunters, and although Jacob Stoppel sadly passed away earlier this year, his son is selling the left over stocks on this website: http://www.stoppel-decals.dk/

Michael

Edited by MichaelBJ