USS CONNECTICUT underwater collision

Whitewolf

The US Seawolf class boat collided with an unknown underwater object whilst operating in international waters in the South China Sea. Approx 11 sailors  injured, none seriously. The boat is OK and proceeding to Guam on the surface for damage assessment.  The investigation into this is going to be very interesting indeed...  

Edited by Whitewolf
  • Like 1

• Whitewolf changed the title to USS CONNECTICUT underwater collision
2 hours ago, Dogtail2 said:

Even if there was an investigation rather than cover up, I don't think anything about it which might be told in mainstream media should be relied upon.

I agree, the true story won't be known. A while back one of our SSNs collided with a Russian Delta IV, and the story was she hit some ice......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

I agree, the true story won't be known. A while back one of our SSNs collided with a Russian Delta IV, and the story was she hit some ice......

This is basically the underlying premise for my latest novel (still writing it!) I can definitely tell you we'll never know the real story for a long time to come.

It was in 1981 and HMS Sceptre collided with the Delta III K-211 Petropavlovsk. The official story was that HMS Sceptre collided with an iceberg. However, once in dock, fragments of a Russian propeller had to be removed from the hull.

Dave

• Like 2

10 hours ago, davecov said:

It was in 1981 and HMS Sceptre collided with the Delta III K-211 Petropavlovsk. The official story was that HMS Sceptre collided with an iceberg. However, once in dock, fragments of a Russian propeller had to be removed from the hull.

Dave

She sailed into Devonport after dark in order to avoid drawing attention, with a tarpaulin covering a damaged area. Its not the only collision to have taken place, just the only one the RN has admitted too.....

2 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

She sailed into Devonport after dark in order to avoid drawing attention, with a tarpaulin covering a damaged area. Its not the only collision to have taken place, just the only one the RN has admitted too.....

True. There was also HMS Warspite who in October 1968 who's fin was damaged after colliding with an Echo II submarine. She also returned to port with a collection of those pesky iceberg propeller bits.

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dagirov Islam, who served on K-211 during the collision with HMS Scepter says:
"We were at the control exit before the live firing after the dock inspection. For the first time, 16 ballistic missiles with 8 separable warheads were loaded on board. Each warhead is a Hiroshima x by 40. And with them we were preparing for BS. Traitors and traitors to the Motherland leaked this information, and we were hunted. At 19.52, 3 strikes occurred one after the other. I was in the CPU and took the surface situation on the BIP before going to the chart room. I will not describe the situation in the CPU, but in general, thanks to the exceptional training of the crew, the ground was not touched (speed 10 knots, diving depth 50 m, sea depth 100 m). Cavitation was strong, acoustics in the stern did not hear anything. As a result: 15, 16 CGB were pierced; the vertical rudder and propeller propeller were damaged. The screw was brought from Severodvinsk (Halak Sergey flew after it), then, after repairs, they went to BS. The instructions of the Party and the Government of the USSR were not thwarted. So there were 3 propellers on the boat, and it was disposed of with 3 p!"

• Like 1