What is your favourite TV series

Ray S

I used to love 'All Our Yesterdays' when I was a child/teenager. I have another memory of a series, which I managed to get very cheap on DVD called 'Victory at Sea'. It had very stirring theme music. 

Father Ted has figured on a few peoples list. Apparently the writers felt a bit guilty about their portrayal of priests and were speaking to some priests, when one of them clapped one of the writers on the shoulder and  said 'don't worry about it, you don't know the half of it' 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, davecov said:

The Brokenwood Mysteries

Mrs fatfingers likes Brokenwood and  from the one or two i've seen i thought it both amusing and entertaining. Mrs f says it's a Kiwi Midsomer Murders! 😀

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's not the scene I had in mind and I think you probably know the one I do mean!

'I must say, you look a damn sight better out of uniform'....?

• Haha 1

My list of favourites probably overlaps quite a lot with others - The West Wing, Dr Who, IT Crowd, Father Ted, The Fast Show, also Parks and Recreation and Spaced which I don't think have come up much.

A few I wouldn't put on my all-time favourites list but have really liked over the last couple of years:

Giri/Haji

Hinterland

Shetland

We Are Lady Parts

Derry Girls

Schitt's Creek

The Bridge (original Swedish/Danish version)

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

Love a good documentary as well. Ken Burns' Vietnam was great. The Netflix F1 series whose name escapes me at the moment is an interesting insight into the F1 world. And watching the Amazon series about Man City followed by the Netflix series about Sunderland highlights the stark contrast between the fortunes of the two teams!

Things that I've started but couldn't get into: Game of Thrones, Vigil and the US version of The Office. Didn't see what the fuss was about with any of them. I've also watched most of Ted Lasso, but really don't understand why it won all the Emmys!

10 hours ago, zebra said:

My list of favourites probably overlaps quite a lot with others - The West Wing, Dr Who, IT Crowd, Father Ted, The Fast Show, also Parks and Recreation and Spaced which I don't think have come up much.

A few I wouldn't put on my all-time favourites list but have really liked over the last couple of years:

Giri/Haji

Hinterland

Shetland

We Are Lady Parts

Derry Girls

Schitt's Creek

The Bridge (original Swedish/Danish version)

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

Love a good documentary as well. Ken Burns' Vietnam was great. The Netflix F1 series whose name escapes me at the moment is an interesting insight into the F1 world. And watching the Amazon series about Man City followed by the Netflix series about Sunderland highlights the stark contrast between the fortunes of the two teams!

Things that I've started but couldn't get into: Game of Thrones, Vigil and the US version of The Office. Didn't see what the fuss was about with any of them. I've also watched most of Ted Lasso, but really don't understand why it won all the Emmys!

The Netflix Formula 1 series is Drive to Survive. I've really enjoyed it. Not too surprising as I'm a lifelong F1 fan but it seems to have found a whole new bunch of fans for the sport too.

22 hours ago, davecov said:

Quatermass and the Pit

Good lord, how did I forget Quatermass and the Pit?  Scared the :poop: out of me, but I watched every episode!  Andre Morrell was definitely the best Quatermass.

• Like 3

Some more which I forgot;

Shetland

Cagney and Lacey

Alas Smith and Jones

All Creatures Great and Small (old and new versions)

Potty Time

Black Adder (except the first series)

Z Cars

There's bound to be more.

John.

On 10/13/2021 at 1:43 PM, kiseca said:

That recent Chernobyl mini-series was pretty good too, I thought.

Very much in agreement. Superb, sobering, stark TV. Also made Gorbachev out to be a bit less of a humanitarian than he was perceived in the West. 

Chris. 

On 10/16/2021 at 9:57 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

Just remembered -  Borgen

The Bridge (first season anyway)

Designated Survivor

(well, first two seasons anyway. Think it ran out of steam by season 3)

John

I also enjoyed the first couple of seasons of Designated Survivor and think it went downhill after that.

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

This?....

That's the one Steve, although I believe that it may have appeared on BBC in B&W a few years earlier.

Good to hear Bentine pronounce the name "Boadicea", and not "Boudica!!"

John.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 9:33 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

I would agree with you on the casting. First class acting all round and, I think perhaps the most moving scene was Cardinal Fisher's(Bosco Hogan) final speech before his execution.

I agree that Neill is a first rate actor and made a wonderful Wolsey. A rather tragic figure whose death was genuinely (like Thomas More's) lamented by Henry.

A pity his death scene was pure fiction! Wolsey actually

died of natural causes but, as you rightly imply, this was a historical drama, not a documentary!

One of my other favourites was Nick Dunning with a superb performance as Thomas Boleyn,  a really nasty piece of work by any standards. I'd love  to have seen him shortened by a head!! 😉😂

John

I think is a great pity that they stopped at the end of Henry's reign, the Edward reign leading to Lady Jane and Queen Mary would have been fascinating (and they set-up Sarah Bolger very well as Mary) and Elizabeth plus the potential to add Mary Queen of Scots - although it would definitely be a rather depressing series and I guess the bodice-ripping would have been rather lessened with young Eduard, pious Mary and viginal Elizabeth (unless you include her rumoured affair with Admiral Seymore) and the tragic marriages of the Scottish Queen.

I've started on a the Starz series that followed, the White Princess set a couple of generations earlier, but the budget is clearly not there and they don't have the same scale of production, focusing more on the romanticised elements.

Frasier.

Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister.

Hill st. Blues

St. Elsewhere

Porridge.

there are so many others I decided to be ruthless and just pick 5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Good to hear Bentine pronounce the name "Boadicea", and not "Boudica!!"

I grew up with the Boadicea pronunciation but am forced to admit that this was a medieval concoction based on earlier misspellings. Whilst we have no way of knowing exactly how people spoke back then it is most likely that her name was Boudica. The Wikipedia page on her has an interesting section on her name. Apparently it was pronounced with the vowel in the first syllable as ow in bow-and-arrow. Either way, an interesting charactor.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Smiley's People

And I do wish the BBC could have made The Honourable Schoolboy at the same time - apparently it was not made due to costs.

I don't think anyone has mentioned The Prisoner yet?

A 60's classic devised by and starring Patrick MacGoohan and an all time favourite of mine.

In a similar vein The Avengers.

Honourable mentions to two American series;

Twin Peaks

The Sopranos.

One of my all time favourites is Len Deughton’s Game, Set and Match broadcast around 1988.

Probably helped by the fact I’d just joined the FCO at the time it was broadcast and I could see all the characters at work.

I loved it, but Len Deighton hated it (he didn’t like Ian Holme as the lead character Bernard Sampson) and refused permission for the series to be rebroadcast or released on DVD, though you can get pirate copies.

Graham

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GrahamS said:

One of my all time favourites is Len Deughton’s Game, Set and Match broadcast around 1988.

Probably helped by the fact I’d just joined the FCO at the time it was broadcast and I could see all the characters at work.

I loved it, but Len Deighton hated it (he didn’t like Ian Holme as the lead character Bernard Sampson) and refused permission for the series to be rebroadcast or released on DVD, though you can get pirate copies.

Graham

That was good.

I remember buying the books and reading them as they came out.

Len Deighton is an excellent writer.

• Like 1