What is your favourite TV series

Ray S

2 hours ago, 593jones said:

World at War turns up pretty frequently on Talking Pictures TV, always worth a watch no matter how many times I've seen it.

In no particular order:

Hill Street Blues

Drop The Dead Donkey

Only Fools and Horses

When The Boat Comes In

Sandbaggers

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

All Creatures Great and Small (the original, haven't seen the new version)

Survivors (the original, the 'reimagining' was awful!)

The Thick Of It.

Steptoe and Son

Probably lots more, but my mind has gone blank!

Yes, i forgot about Survivors. Very scary at the time. 

And the wonderful The Thick of It. Worthy successor to Yes Minister. So quotable..

5 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I'm assuming you are referring to the rebooted Battlestar Galactica?

Yes  - I watched again during lockdown as I'd previously only seen a few episodes.

Frankly I'd ask what was the whole point of Starbuck?

The character simply grated on my nerves all the way through.

Nothing to do with the gender change. I just found her unpleasant and impossible to like.

That's a shame. I rather liked her character - nicely complex. 

Haven't read Twin Peaks but, I do recommend The List of Seven.

Had to look that up - think I'll get a copy - thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

So seeing as most are posting lists here's mine -

Star Trek The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine.

NCIS - although it's gone off in recent seasons, although I'm 3 seasons behind, so maybe it'll get better again.

Magnum PI (Tom Selleck version)

CSI, all of them, although I couldn't finish NY and Miami, the last season or two are just, not very good.

Mythbusters - can't stop rewatching that, so many little bits you don't pick up on, and Kari Byron, hmm...

Many others I have watched and would consider "favourites" but don't rewatch regularly, such as Time Team, Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Elementary, Babylon 5, Hill Street Blues, The A-Team, MacGyver (not the rehash), X-Files (the original 9 seasons), Cheers and Frasier.

I tried the new Star Trek, Discovery, but couldn't get past the first season, it being marketed at the time with a "look, transgender!" agenda being pushed in your face didn't help, and those Klingons, what thee!?!

I tried The Expanse, it looked promising, seemed to be to start with a show with a space detective kind of lead character, but that quickly went to pot and devolved into a boring tired old nuclear proliferation allegory/trope by season 3.  I gave up on it at that point.  Thought it had been cancelled but somehow it's managed to keep going!?!

Guess I just don't like most modern sci-fi stuff...

Waiting for the Game of Thrones prequel.  Just hope there's less sex and nudity than Game of Thrones, all that was, distracting...  Moooore battles!

Edited by RobL
typo

The trouble with this thread, and being 75 years old, I keep remembering programs to add to this list. So, in no particular order, and there'll probably be more as I think of them;

Hill Street Blues

Law and Order.

Law an Order UK.

Happy Valley (shame there were only two series).

Scot and Bailey.

Call the Midwife.

Only Fools and Horses.

Porridge.

Open all Hours.

Fawlty Towers.

That's all that my memory can come up with at the moment.

John.

• Like 2

1950's - Andy Pandy

1960's - Callan

1970's - Starsky & Hutch/Dad's Army

1980's - The Young Ones/the A team

1990's - Father Ted

2000's - The West Wing

2010's - The Big Bang Theory/Endeavour

2020's - Line of Duty

If I had to choose one that spanned most of the decades then it would have to be Star Trek.

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IanC said:

The Flashing Blade

I used to watch The Flashing Blade on Saturday mornings around 1970? It had a deep and lasting influence on me.

When times are hard the kids of the 1990s only have the Telly Tubbies to fall back on. I have, castles, 17th century battles, swords, muskets, stirring music and bad dubbing. All of which are still a big part of my life.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, -Ian- said:

Just realised I completely omitted comedies from my list, the two real standout ones for me are Blackadder and Father Ted.

Father Ted is a documentary.

BTW does anyone remember a French series (early - mid seventies) about the pilots of a Mirage squadron. Badly dubbed into English. I can't remember the details, but I do remember running home from school to catch it. It had planes in it!!

Cheers

Colin

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ckw said:

Father Ted is a documentary.

BTW does anyone remember a French series (early - mid seventies) about the pilots of a Mirage squadron. Badly dubbed into English. I can't remember the details, but I do remember running home from school to catch it. It had planes in it!!

Cheers

Colin

'The Aeronauts' - Tanguy and Laverdure.

Mysteres and Mirages. It was great!

1 hour ago, Pete F said:

I used to watch The Flashing Blade on Saturday mornings around 1970? It had a deep and lasting influence on me.

When times are hard the kids of the 1990s only have the Telly Tubbies to fall back on. I have, castles, 17th century battles, swords, muskets, stirring music and bad dubbing. All of which are still a big part of my life.

"It's better to have fought and lost, than not have fought at all.... etc etc"

Stirring stuff. 

Does anyone remember 'All Our Yesterdays'?

It was a documentary series on "The War", meaning the Second World War of course, broadcast in the sixties. It was all newsreel and other contemporary black and white footage and I loved watching it with my Dad who would explain all the details to me. It was presented by Brian Inglis and made by Granada TV. Yes, I do remember those details, though I fact-checked myself before posting. That series, and my old man, are why I make military model subjects to this day (civilian kits are so boring!)

• Like 2

That recent Chernobyl mini-series was pretty good too, I thought. The one with Jared Harris. And Carl Sagan's Cosmos.

And as a kid, I really liked Battle Of The Planets and Robotech...

later childhood years had a great appreciation for the original Battlestar Galactica (I got a long way into the remake but gave up eventually), 240 Robert, CHiPs, Riptide, Mike Hammer (with Stacy Keach), MacGyver

There were some great comedies like Three's Company, Benson, Who's the Boss, The Cosby Show (tainted now, obviously)...

I grew up in South Africa so most of our TV was sourced from the USA as Actors Equity meant we didn't get much UK sourced television.

Still, none of these doesn't hit my top 5, which remains as posted previously. Twin Peaks still tops the list though Breaking Bad really does run it close in my book. Partly because at least it comes to a conclusion!

There was a great series when I was growing up in the 50's, called The War in the Air. The opening titles were shown with a Meteor taking off.

Some more for my list;

Endeavour.

Vera.

Morse.

Blue Murder.

And a very early David Jason comedy for the 70's, A Sharp Intake of Breath.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
'cos my memory is failing!!

3 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

There was a great series when I was growing up in the 50's, called The World at War. 

Pretty sure that was 70s. It definitely couldn't have been 50s as it was in colour.

I like a lot of series that have been posted here. However, the box-sets that I play time and time again are:

Sergeant Cork

The Brokenwood Mysteries

The Bridge (Bron/Broen)

Van der Valk (Original Seventies)

Wallander (Swedish & UK versions)

House of Cards Trilogy

The Vietnam War (Ken Burns and Lynn Novick)

Fraud Squad (Patrick O'Connell, Joanna Van Gyseghem)

Quatermass and the Pit

My current viewing is the Seventies classic series "Doomwatch".

I also have lots of comedy favourites - too many to mention but Dad's Army was one that I particularly liked. In fact in the 90s I set up a Dad's Army website called "Whispers From Walmington" that ran for eleven years.

Dave

18 minutes ago, -Ian- said:

Pretty sure that was 70s. It definitely couldn't have been 50s as it was in colour.

Correct, the first episode was transmitted 31st October 1973.

Dave

2 hours ago, -Ian- said:

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That would have been All Our Yesterdays

After a quick trawl through the internet, I've found out the title of the series. It was called "The War in the Air", and it was aired in 1954. Apologies for the wrong title. Put it down to old age.:clif: I'll edit my previous post.

John.

Can I mention Tour of Duty, China Beach, and/or Piece of Cake?  Vietnam and WWII dramas from the 80s/very early 90s.

Also Sharpe?  Do it for Sean Bean!

Edited by RobL
  • Like 2