What is your favourite TV series

Ray S

Wait! Wait, slow down, I'm scribbling franticly...

I'd note my favorites, but a great many have already been mentioned and frankly, I'm too lazy to try to think up a list.

I will say that I am a great fan of the Blackadder series.

Oh, and Jeeves and Wooster.

(if I keep going, I'll eventually get to Gilligans Island, so it's probably best if I stop here.) 

(Still, Dawn Wells got me through puberty...)

(I was right. Shoulda stopped.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Very surprised nobody has added Das Boot (The original 80's series, not the terrible remake).

I would also add two more good German series to the list:

Heimat

Babylon Berlin

• Like 5

Some good series there, mine in no particular order

I, Claudius

Babylon 5

Farscape

His Dark Materials

Stingray/Thunderbird (original series, not the CGI remake) 

Queens Gambit

Futurama

Star Trek Next Generation, Picard 

Mandalorian

Tinker, Tailor and Smiley's People

The Young Ones

The It Crowd

Father Ted

Drop the Dead Donkey

Inspector Borowski. 

• Like 1

If you like documentary series that are over-flowing with genuinely ridiculous characters, Netflix's "Tiger King" is a real must-see. It's crazier than a box of frogs. There are rumours that they might do a dramatized version of it. There was talk of Nic Cage playing the main character, Joe Exotic. I reckon he would be a pretty good fit. As far as I know, they have not started producing it. 

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Like 1

One of my favorites -- ever -- was a great late-'70s British spy series called The Sandbaggers. It was one of the first to show the gritty and bare-knuckles side of that dirty business...complete with sometimes-duplicitous (and often harried) political masters, budget restraints, and the day-to-day reality of hard choices...instead of the gizmos-and-glamor take of James Bond, Man From U.N.C.L.E., etc.

As grim as all that sounds...and it frequently is...the excellent writing is intelligent and witty, with frequent doses of black humor.

Superb cast headed by Roy Marsden and Ray Lonnen. Not to be missed!

• Like 5

Thanks for all the responses, what a great range of favourites there are.

As many of you have popped lists on, I will add to my original one choice (the Brittas Empire) and add a couple of others I have enjoyed over the years, in no particular order:

Sledge Hammer with David Rasche - would that ever get made nowadays?

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (BBC TV series)

The Sky at Night

Life on Mars

That will do for now.

Ray

Hi, John.

Yes, Hannibal was very good, wasn't it? Mads Mikkelsen brought a lot of sophisticated menace to his role and his "special" dinner-parties were quite a highlight, in a very morbid way.

I thought the finding of all the victims glued together in the grain-silo was quite a good scenario, even if it wasn't Hannibal's doing.  

I thought that the "Red Dragon" theme in the final series was well-done and very different to either "Manhunter" or the not-very-good Red Dragon movie. The words "You owe me awe..." still send a bit of a shiver down my spine. 

I want to see where the new series of Dexter goes, but my expectations are not very high. I thought the final three Dexter series were utter rubbish and completely squandered the good work done by the earlier seasons.  Let's hope the new one isn't a desparate cash-in. Time will tell on that one....

Cheers. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

Most of mine are repeats from earlier posts. In order from favourite to 4th favourite:

Twin Peaks

Breaking Bad

The Expanse

Airwolf

Surprised to see Sledge Hammer mentioned earlier. I remember that show, it was funny 😆

• Like 1

Probably an unusual choice, but The Tudors. On my third watchthrough at present

Although promoted as a Mills & Boon style bodice-ripper, it actually goes into the politics and most importantly the religious politics of this era very well and although not history-book accurate, it does cover the essence and atmosphere of the period better than any other production.

There are lots of good actors, but Sam Neil as Cardinal Wolsey is simply superb in the first season and his death scene is masterfully acted and edited.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 2:35 AM, Greg B said:

Very surprised nobody has added Das Boot (The original 80's series, not the terrible remake).

I would also add two more good German series to the list:

Heimat

Babylon Berlin

Generation War is worth a watch as well if you haven't seen it....

• Like 1

In the main my choices are very likely because I am turning into an old codger, with a mindset stuck in the past and can't handle living in the present day....

It Ain't Half Hot Mum (the series the BBC never mentions)

Dads Army

Porridge

Minder (Dennis Waterman era)

Ever Decreasing Circles

Dear John

Red Dwarf

Top Gear (Clarkson, Hammond, May era)

One Foot In The Grave

Get Some In

Citizen Smith

The Professionals

'Allo 'Allo

The Grand Tour

The Young Ones

Yes Minister/Prime Minister

Rising Damp 

Men Behaving Badly

Blackadder

• Like 1

Modern TV:

• Manhunt with Martin Clunes (ITV catchup). Probably the most accurate police procedural in recent times. Very painstaking but surprisingly exciting and suspenseful. Excellent drama.
  • New series All Creatures Great and Small (channel 5 catchup) - against all expectations this is superb.
  • New series Magnum (Now/Sky). Good old fashioned fun.
  • Brokenwood Mysteries (UKTv streaming). Only found this recently. Another throwback to gentler times.
  • Trollied series 1 - 3 only. Went downhill after the main characters left.
  • W1A. Possibly the funniest series ever made and I’m not convinced the BBC got the joke, especially after they rebranded BBC 3.

Old stuff that I am watching or have recently finished and enjoyed:

• Lovejoy - time travel back to the late 80s/early 90s.
  • Fantasy Island (series 1). “Boss, de plane, de plane!”
  • Scarecrow and Mrs King. This one passed me by in the early 80s when it was current. Kate Jackson, Martha Smith, mad plots and cheesy Soviet spies. What’s more to want?
  • Bionic Woman (original) - Umm, probably the most cheesy fun you can have without actual cheese. 
  • Upstairs Downstairs - Working my way through the 21 DVDs. Intelligent writing, good acting. Really good period drama.
  • Original Dr Who. Before it went rubbish. Jon Pertwee, Kate Manning, Elizabeth Sladon, dodgy Daleks, angry maggots and very dodgy/angry dinosaurs. Fantastic.

Edited by Pete F

Hi, John.

I must be one of the few people on the planet who never really got into Game of Thrones. I gave up on it after Series 5. Too many characters I had only the vaguest idea of who they were, too much time not progressing the story one little bit..... I think I developed GOT-fatigue. 

It was certainly very well-made, hugely expensive and covered a lot of ground, but I just didn't find it very compelling. I think it's fairly unlikely that HBO got tired of it - it was the most popular TV show on the planet for several years and would have made the company huge amounts of money. Having said that, I read a lot of the comments about Season 8 and it was obviously extremely devisive. I might try picking it up again at some point.  I know that many fans had some really big issues with the fate of the White King, after the huge build-up, it must have seemed a real anti-climax. There were many other issues, from what I've read.

"Rushed" seems to be many folks verdict on the final series.

Chris.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pete F said:

W1A. Possibly the funniest series ever made and I’m not convinced the BBC got the joke, especially after they rebranded BBC 3.

I read a comment from a BBC employee that W1A was a "watered-down" version of what really goes on in the Corporation. All I can say is, "Lord, help us"! I used to work for a company that provided a number of services for the Beeb. Some of the stories I heard really made me wonder if the inmates had taken over the asylum. 

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, John.

I must be one of the few people on the planet who never really got into Game of Thrones. I gave up on it after Series 5. Too many characters I had only the vaguest idea of who they were, too much time not progressing the story one little bit..... I think I developed GOT-fatigue. 

It was certainly very well-made, hugely expensive and covered a lot of ground, but I just didn't find it very compelling. I think it's fairly unlikely that HBO got tired of it - it was the most popular TV show on the planet for several years and would have made the company huge amounts of money. Having said that, I read a lot of the comments about Season 8 and it was obviously extremely devisive. I might try picking it up again at some point.  I know that many fans had some really big issues with the fate of the White King, after the huge build-up, it must have seemed a real anti-climax. There were many other issues, from what I've read.

"Rushed" seems to be many folks verdict on the final series.

Chris.   

With GoT I don't think it was HBO who were tired of it, rather the writers/creators. The deterioration in quality was notable in season 7 which definitely felt rushed with some weaker than expected storyline elements. At the time most fans hoped this was just a blip and season 8 would be a return to form, sadly we were very wrong. There were actually some fan theories floating around which would have made for a far better resolution to the story than what we actually got.

4 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

In truth, I couldn't get past the first book.

I was bored with the first book after one chapter. Really not my cup of tea, at all. Other users mileage may vary.

Chris.   

On 10/11/2021 at 12:10 AM, spruecutter96 said:

If you like documentary series that are over-flowing with genuinely ridiculous characters, Netflix's "Tiger King" is a real must-see. It's crazier than a box of frogs. There are rumours that they might do a dramatized version of it.

There's a second season happening... https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/25/22691984/tiger-king-season-2-release-date-netflix 

On 10/11/2021 at 12:25 AM, thorfinn said:

One of my favorites -- ever -- was a great late-'70s British spy series called The Sandbaggers.

Totally agree. Another superb drama with well rounded out actors and performances.

I'd add Danger UXB into the same category.

On 10/11/2021 at 4:18 AM, Ray S said:

Sledge Hammer with David Rasche - would that ever get made nowadays?

I have both seasons on DVD. A superb "urine-extraction" of the then current crop of over the top police shows. I believe this was originaly aired in the time slot competing with Miami Vice...

How do chaps,

In no particular order here's a small selection of some of my favourites

Edge of Darkness - got this on dvd and generally watch it every year.

Day Of The Triffids - classic 1980's BBC Sci-fi complete with dodgy monsters! 

Band Of Brothers.

Walking Dead - watched it from start but now missing final series as i refuse to shell out another 8 quid a month for Disney +

The Mad Death - anyone else remember this? Can be found on youtube 😉

Survivors - original series - also on the tube.

World At War.

Spearhead.

Strange that most are from the 70's! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fatfingers said:

How do chaps,

In no particular order here's a small selection of some of my favourites

Edge of Darkness - got this on dvd and generally watch it every year.

Day Of The Triffids - classic 1980's BBC Sci-fi complete with dodgy monsters! 

Band Of Brothers.

Walking Dead - watched it from start but now missing final series as i refuse to shell out another 8 quid a month for Disney +

The Mad Death - anyone else remember this? Can be found on youtube 😉

Survivors - original series - also on the tube.

World At War.

Spearhead.

Strange that most are from the 70's! 

Regards,

Steve

World at War, a series that needs to be re-broadcast on the streaming services.

I’ll also add its recent contemporary - Vietnam by Ken Burns. 

• Like 3

Twin Peaks  - I'm currently exercising a lot of willpower to not quite yet watch it for the third time. Anyone else read the book by Mark Frost? 

Battlestar Galactica - shame about the ending though. Apollo off to climb some mountains and what was Starbuck supposed to be?

Band of Brothers

Hill Street Blues - let's be careful out there

Dr Who - to say I'm a bit excited about Russell T Davies returning is  . . . .  and Bad Wolf as the production company

The Expanse

Bosch

and I might regret saying this but:

Clarkson's Farm - I was never into Top Gear but this is great telly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greg B said:

World at War, a series that needs to be re-broadcast on the streaming services.

I’ll also add its recent contemporary - Vietnam by Ken Burns. 

World at War turns up pretty frequently on Talking Pictures TV, always worth a watch no matter how many times I've seen it.

In no particular order:

Hill Street Blues

Drop The Dead Donkey

Only Fools and Horses

When The Boat Comes In

Sandbaggers

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

All Creatures Great and Small (the original, haven't seen the new version)

Survivors (the original, the 'reimagining' was awful!)

The Thick Of It.

Steptoe and Son

Probably lots more, but my mind has gone blank!

• Like 2