What is your favourite TV series

Ray S

I have seen the threads on here about 'What are you reading' and 'What are you listening to', so I wondered what is your favourite series on TV or any of the common viewing options?

To start the ball rolling, at the moment my fave is 'The Brittas Empire' as seen on Forces TV, it is from the 90's and great fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it first time around and am amazed that it is still as funny (to me) even now.

Up until a couple of weeks ago it would have been 'The Champions', but it has gone from the 9pm Sunday evening Talking Pictures TV slot.

I will be interested to hear your choices.

Cheers, Ray

• Like 2

The Wire

The West Wing

Hill St Blues

Frasier

Cheers

Secret Army

Deep Space Nine

The Big Bang Theory

Person Of Interest

Ozark

Breaking Bad

Better Call Saul

Chance In A Million

Yes Minister/ Yes Prime Minister

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 1

The first season of "Mindhunter" on Netflix - quite unlike anything I've seen on TV, before or since. If you're looking for gunfights, car-chases and explosions, you will be very disappointed. If you like knowing why serial-killers do what they do, this will give you some intelligent insight. Also, if you like flawed, relateable main characters (and not the perfect, "super-heroic" characters American masinstream telly has been creating / boring us with for decades now), then you will like this series.  

Definitely a slow-burn drama, but I loved every darned minute of it. Their interviews with killer Edmund Kemper were a real stand-out. Check out the talk between Holden Ford and Ed - when the prisoner is showing Ford how to properly cut a throat (with no guard present), I remember shivering the first time I saw it. 

Season 2 was pretty good, but took a very different story-angle to the first one. Rumour has it that Series 3 will be a VERY long wait (if it happens at all). I really hope it gets made. 

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Like 3

Difficult question, in fact I'd struggle to even get it down to a top 20, so here's a few themed top 5s all in no particular order, yes I'm a bit of a Sci-Fi geek:

Series still being aired/made:

The Mandalorian

Peaky Blinders

Carnival Row

The Expanse

Outlander

Series which were cancelled too early:

Dark Matter - (this one annoyed me the most, it did at least get 3 seasons but was cancelled when it was well on it's way to becoming on of the best Sci Fi series ever, and to rub salt in the wound, the final episode was a cliffhanger)

Firefly (obviously)

Caprica

Flashforward

Timeless

Started off well, but...

Westworld - 1st season was amazing, all downhill after that though

Game of Thrones - no further comment necessary

X Files - just dragged on for too long, should have been tied up after 6 seasons

Fringe - loved the first 4 seasons but the last one didn't fit at all, definitely seemed like they originally planned for a 4 season run with the final one being a last minute afterthought

Man in the High Castle - an odd one as even going into the final episode it was still a very good series, it was literally the last 20 minutes of the last episode which was awful

Series which ended at the right point (couldn't narrow it down to 5, so have a free one on me 😆)

Breaking Bad

Sopranos

Babylon 5 (though would have been better if the TV company hadn't screwed around by cutting the run from 5 seasons to 4, then back up to 5 again after season 4 had aired)

Farscape

The West Wing

Battlestar Galactica reboot

Edited by -Ian-
  • Like 1

The best thing I've watched in ages was Dark. It takes some effort on the part of the viewer in that you have to remember quite a bit and you have to follow several trains of thought (I don't want to give anything away!), but it's well worth it. I felt bereft when it finished, which hasn't happened since Band Of Brothers.

It's a German language series but make sure you watch in German with subtitles, as I have heard that the English-dubbed version grates badly. Anyway, I thought it to be one of the most intelligent bits of sci-fi to emerge in decades. Ausgeseichnet!

I also enjoyed:

Twin Peaks

Carnivale

Star Trek (TNG, DS9, Voyager and Discovery)

Unforgotten

Sherlock

Mindhunter ( absolutely loved this one!)

• Like 1

Some of my favourites:

Secret Army

Colditz

Dad's Army

Yes Minister/Prime Minister

Elizabeth R

Robin Hood (the Clannad one)

Band of Brothers/The Pacific

And anything Alan Partridge.

• Like 2

If you don't mind going back decades, I remember watching "I, Claudius" as a kid. Superbly well-acted, even if the 1970's BBC sets could have been a lot more realistic. Can still remember a fair fews scenes from it, even now (too many) years later. 

Chris. 

• Like 6

MASH, watched it in Hong Kong,Philippines,The Netherlands and UK, the UK  version was better,no canned laughter,not every episode was funny,some were serious.

Enjoyed every episode I watched.where ever.

Favourite  characters, Radar, Klinger,Hawkeye and Father Mulcahy

Edited by RAF4EVER
add characters
  • Like 3

My favorites: Perry Mason(the classic 50s-60s series) and the TV movies that Raymond Burr and Barbara Hale did in the '80s. The X-Files, the last two seasons did drag; but, Seasons 10 and 11 did give a nice re-boot. Star Trek(TOS), Star Trek voyager, Hawaii Five-0(the new series which just ended a year ago), Blue Bloods, Smallville, Nash Bridges. I do have a couple of non-fiction shows that are my favorites: Josh Gates Tonight, and his Expedition X. These are on The Discovery Channel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

If you don't mind going back decades, I remember watching "I, Claudius" as a kid. Superbly well-acted, even if the 1970's BBC sets could have been a lot more realistic. Can still remember a fair fews scenes from it, even now (too many) years later. 

Chris. 

Yes. John Hurt's Caligula was terrifying. 

• Like 3

On 10/8/2021 at 6:09 AM, bentwaters81tfw said:

the "off" button

You beat me to it ...

Seriously, Shetland. Although many say it's in a foreign language, I have no trouble at all in following the dialogue. Mind you, growing up with my Argyll and Sutherland maternal grandparents may have helped! Is there any indication of another series in the offing? There's been none over here.

• Like 2