`PAT-RIOT II`, P-39Q-1 Airacobra, Kanton Atoll, Phoenix Archipelago, August `43

HI Everyone, 

Finished this one about the same time as the VLR Mustang so thought I`d share some photo`s

8Ac9Upk.jpg

My latest go at Eduard`s 1/48 Airacobra kit

zKJ4b8B.jpg

Built from the latest Weekend Edition boxing

mw8FWm0.jpg

Finished as `PAT-RIOT II` of the 46th FS, 15th FG, 7th AF

8xpsaGG.jpg

Built from the kit contents but with a few small additions and tweaks

ApSdy56.jpg 

Namely: brake pipes, splitter plate in the dorsal intake, some wiring for the radio in the rear cockpit and aerial wires 

eKXjWuz.jpg

Also drilled out all the gun barrels and exhaust pipes

T0Nuq8n.jpg

Decals were from the kit

bX22luD.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pic`s, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 72
  • Thanks 2

Great work Russ! Well done! 

How was the kit? I am in the process of deciding what will my next build be between this kit and Italeri's Malta Hurricane which I have both waiting in the stash.

How much nose weight did you have to use?

Best,

Nikola

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nikola Topalov said:

Great work Russ! Well done! 

How was the kit? I am in the process of deciding what will my next build be between this kit and Italeri's Malta Hurricane which I have both waiting in the stash.

How much nose weight did you have to use?

Best,

Nikola

Thanks Nicola, The kit`s OK- not perfect though. things to watch out for are: trailing edges a bit thick need sanding, leading edges of main planes and fin a bit blunt- sanding again. Out of the box the spinner doesn`t sit centrally on the nose- just chop the shaft off and glue straight on or drill and add your own. The doors are fiddley to fit after you`ve fitted the canopy- either fit at same time as canopy ( best ), chamfer edges until they fit snugly if the canopies already fitted or fit in open position ( it looks like an elephant if you do this 🙂 ). If you have one open and one closed- the pilot usually got in through the starboard door so he didn`t get knee-capped by the throttle quadrant on the port side of the cockpit, that`s why most P-39 art work is on the starboard side. 

I used a nose weight off a `culled` P-39 so couldn`t tell you how much to use- sorry.

Hope this helps

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

9 hours ago, russ c said:

Thanks Nicola, The kit`s OK- not perfect though. things to watch out for are: trailing edges a bit thick need sanding, leading edges of main planes and fin a bit blunt- sanding again. Out of the box the spinner doesn`t sit centrally on the nose- just chop the shaft off and glue straight on or drill and add your own. The doors are fiddley to fit after you`ve fitted the canopy- either fit at same time as canopy ( best ), chamfer edges until they fit snugly if the canopies already fitted or fit in open position ( it looks like an elephant if you do this 🙂 ). If you have one open and one closed- the pilot usually got in through the starboard door so he didn`t get knee-capped by the throttle quadrant on the port side of the cockpit, that`s why most P-39 art work is on the starboard side. 

I used a nose weight off a `culled` P-39 so couldn`t tell you how much to use- sorry.

Hope this helps

Cheers Russ

Thanks for the "heads up" Russ! Appreciated!

Best,

Nikola

On 10/7/2021 at 10:33 AM, russ c said:

Hope you enjoy the pic`s, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

P-39 is not my favorite plane but some of the builds I have seen of late  she is starting to grow on me....Well Done Sir!!

Edited by javlin
  • Thanks 1