Porsche 956 1984 Le Mans winner

The years from  1982 to 1990 saw the best period of group C  WEC racing . Nissan Toyota Mercedes Porsche Jaguar not to mention the privateers amongst others gave us a spectacle . I lived and worked in the south of Switzerland at the time so Monza was an hour away . I remember Schumacher and Weidlinger in the new Mercedes , the Nissan and the noisy Jaguars  . I have uploaded photos of the Jost Porsche 956 in both long tail and short tail version for the year 1984 . You will note the short tail has a very big ventury diffuser used on the short tracks . This conversion for the Tamiya is by Studio 27 . It comes with decals , photo etch and a resin engine cowling with the high tail wing ,the rear diffuser  as well as the front 962 type front end if you wish to convert it to that spec . I stuck to the 956 front end version after consulting racing videos and walk arounds .

The Pros : Tamiya quality fitting and parts . The decals are good . Easy to build and modify or to upgrade . I have included a photo of the dashboard which comes with many decals .you might note the gauges look like they have acrylic covers . What I did is i added drops of undiluted clear .

The Cons : No pedals and fire extinguisher in the cockpit but they are available and i am ordering them . It is about time Tamiya added the pipes which feed the intercooler from the turbo at the end of the crank . Unfortunately I cannot find them on the market . Tamiya included the rear brake airducts to the 962 model but not the 956 . they are available now in the US .

Paint: Tamiya Yellow spray  , semi gloss black , burnt iron , flat black , white , red , metallic grey , gold leaf , iron , champaign gold . Silver and aluminium . Clear spray post decaling and prior to placing all acrylics . Clear red and orange .

Tyre decals : From Indycals USA .

Cables and tubes : Added the cables from the 6 cylinders to distributor and oil tubes from the reservoir to crank and second reservoir to axle and gear box .

Short tail  version 

short tail

The rear diffuser of the short tail 

short tail diffuser

rear view of the short tail 

rear view short tail

the dashboard 

cockpit dash

front view long tail

Front view of the long tail 

front view long tail

Rear view of the long tail engine details 

The engine in construction 

engine details

General overview of the bare front end . 

chassis

Details 

external view details

Edited by oldman
  • Like 12

Very good work on what is (from memory) quite a complex kit.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but are the decals the Tamiya ones which came with the kit? And if not the original ones whose are they - I have one I'd like to rebuild at some stage.

hello Spiny

The long tail decals are the Tamiya out of the box decals which are good but not the best . The short tail are the decals from Studio 27 which come with the conversion kit . Studio 27 gets them from cartograph which IMO are the best in the market . Take a close look at the image under short tail version , all the white is decals .  I redid a Nissan 89C and ordered them from Studio 27 due to the deep sinking panels and other details such as lamps bulging on the body work and they shrink in and around beautifully . If you cannot find a hard to find Studio 27 set You can get the decals made by INDYCALS USA .https://www.indycals.net/contact/contact.html if you do remember they are not stenciled and must be cut around carefully .  

Edited by oldman
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to book-mark this thread as I have Tamiya 956 to build.

You seem to have added a number of extra cables and hoses to the engine area. I will try to replicate that on mine.

Cheers,

Alan.

the items which you can add easily besides cables and hoses are the extinguisher , pedals and rear brake airducts and seat belts . I cannot find the pipes connecting the intercoolers to the turbos but you could make them from styrene or brass tubes . Some add ons can be extremely expensive in proportion to the price of the basic kit .  

Edited by oldman