Amusing Hobby 1/35 Centurion Shot Kal

OK Darryl, now I'm seriously taking notes having bought this up at Telford. Don't forget to flag up anything untoward.

1 hour ago, simmerit said:

A bit late for me, but where did you source that 3D glacis plate just out of interest?  

After having a quick shufty through the box contents, I think that it comes as part of the kit. There are other 3D printed items included such as part of the 105mm barrel.

John.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

OK Darryl, now I'm seriously taking notes having bought this up at Telford. Don't forget to flag up anything untoward.

After having a quick shufty through the box contents, I think that it comes as part of the kit. There are other 3D printed items included such as part of the 105mm barrel.

John.

Ta.  Its looking like I'll have to cut the track guards off the glacis plate on mine and refit them.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, simmerit said:

A bit late for me, but where did you source that 3D glacis plate just out of interest?  

Came with the kit, along with the gun barrel and poss something else I can't just remember off hand.

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Will do, it's pretty good so far. As mentioned earlier you might want to replace the catches and handles on the tool boxes and the instructions are a bit vague regarding positioning of brackets. Probably me but I've a slight gap on the hull roof above the driver where it meets the next panel behind it.

Watch the periscopes on the drivers hatch, I wasn't paying attention and have glued them at a weird angle. :doh: I'd assumed,  stupidly, the hatches fitted square to the hull...

spacer.png

Can I get those bleeders off without damaging them, can I flip! 

(You can see the slight gap on the same panel behind the filler cap just going off the picture).

So basically the kit is fine, all the failings are of my own doing...:mental:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well nothing that cant be corrected with some putty. I use Deluxe Materials putty and it can be applied easily without too much sanding...

Anyway is goin fine... much better than one 1/16 i have built many moons ago! 🤣

Cheers

LM

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I wasn't paying attention and have glued them at a weird angle.

Nice to see your progressing with this one. I wouldn't worry about the angle of the periscopes as they rotate I guess they could be left at different angles.

Wayne

21 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

Nice to see your progressing with this one. I wouldn't worry about the angle of the periscopes as they rotate I guess they could be left at different angles.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I'd have liked to of had them either both facing forwards or at a more pronounced angle off centre but you can see how the plastic started to deform when I tried to remove it. :shrug:

14 hours ago, Hewy said:

Love the look of the shot kal, this one has been giving me the come on at the local model shop for a couple of weeks now , you might tempt me into taking it home for christmas darryl

14 hours ago, echen said:

Even got me looking at 1/72 Shot Kals.

Temptation is a terrible thing......

I can see it coyly looking over its shoulder giving you the come on....:giggle:

Can't speak for 1/72 but I'm quite liking this AH kit, when I can get to it!

• Haha 1

On 06/12/2021 at 19:11, Jasper dog said:

(You can see the slight gap on the same panel behind the filler cap just going off the picture).

That's what God created Milliput for. Watching your build has made me think about (maybe) getting my Centurion lll kick started, once the A/C is finished.

John.

• Like 2

Well still no progress on the Shot Kal to report, haven't even got the Christmas Tree and decs up yet! :undecided:

However,  what's the ideal quick build kit to acquire for someone with flip all modelling time.....Sure this could be thrown together really quickly..:fraidnot:

Really nice box art though....

spacer.png

It was a good price, cool box art.....

Has anyone felt the weight of this thing, must be the heaviest kit I've picked up, talk about a box full of plastic!

Does developing the stash count as modelling???? :wall:

Does anyone have the contact details for Modellers anonymous.....:blush:

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Does developing the stash count as modelling???? 

My modelling seems to vary between ordering and looking up potential orders on-line, mostly looking them up or the bank account would soon be empty - and I'd run out of storage.

Does anyone have the contact details for Modellers anonymous.

When you get the contact details please could you pass them on to me.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, echen said:

My modelling seems to vary between ordering and looking up potential orders on-line, mostly looking them up or the bank account would soon be empty - and I'd run out of storage.

When you get the contact details please could you pass them on to me.

I had no intention of buying anything but came across this, good price, cheaper than the Tamiya offering and I think I'd just become used to buying stuff. I'd been doing the Christmas shopping and one more purchase wouldn't hurt now would it....

Does look cool! :whistle:

I have dared yet take the contents out of the box as I doubt I could repack it again it's so full!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I have dared yet take the contents out of the box as I doubt I could repack it again it's so full!

No, it's impossible. The Miniart box packers have to go on a three year, intensive course on how to get a quart into a pint pot.

I like your sense of humour Darryl. I had to laugh when you said that you were looking for a quick build.........and you chose a Miniart Tiran. :rofl2: That's like giving a novice piano player The Minute Waltz to play. Bonne chance!

John.

• Haha 5

22 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

No, it's impossible. The Miniart box packers have to go on a three year, intensive course on how to get a quart into a pint pot.

I like your sense of humour Darryl. I had to laugh when you said that you were looking for a quick build.........and you chose a Miniart Tiran. :rofl2: That's like giving a novice piano player The Minute Waltz to play. Bonne chance!

John.

You arn't wrong, I've a non interior T54 and that's packed nicely but this....

How much interior I'll do is anyones guess, not my thing but for the price it was  cheaper than buying a Tamiya kit even before you start adding AM to it.

Now you mention it I gave up on the piano lessons nearly 40yrs ago...

• Like 2

Tiny bit done, blindly assembled and fitted the tool boxes onto the fenders....then had a thought....!

Being pressed steel those boxes really shouldn't have all those extra panel lines on them...:wall:

And that is what you get for rushing at the opportunity for 30mins at the bench. They'd have been far easier to deal with off the fender but never mind. I'm beginning to see the advantage of the pe ones even if it would have ment folding and possibly learning to solder.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Muppetry....

(Sure Tamiya would have made the box in one piece rather than separate front and sides...)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found the bench again! :frantic:

I know it's down there somewhere....

spacer.png

That's better...:thumbsup:

spacer.png

Now I've found the bench, progress!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fenders fitted, no major issues to report!

And the turret...

spacer.png

Shell awaiting fitment of the DEF mantlet cover.

spacer.png

Front hacked away, if this goes wrong its goodnight Vienna for the Shot Kal!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Bit of filling required but its superglued in situ.

The only issue being the DEF cover is little too small width wise, note the gap down the r/h side...

Happy New Year folks! B)

Darryl 

• Like 10

It looks good Darryl and will look even better with a dab of filler.

Now, about your kit stash. Two questions. What's your address, and when will the house be empty?:bobby:

John.

PS. And a Happy New Year to you and yours.

• Haha 6

Found the bench again! :frantic:

I know it's down there somewhere....

spacer.png

That's better...:thumbsup:

spacer.png

Now I've found the bench, progress!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fenders fitted, no major issues to report!

And the turret...

spacer.png

Shell awaiting fitment of the DEF mantlet cover.

spacer.png

Front hacked away, if this goes wrong its goodnight Vienna for the Shot Kal!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Bit of filling required but its superglued in situ.

The only issue being the DEF cover is little too small width wise, note the gap down the r/h side...

Happy New Year folks! B)

Darryl 

just looking at that mantlet and the gap. I filed my turret back a further 2ish mms to get shot of the moulded steel retainers, which are used to bold down and secure the mantlet cover on the big ones.  I see you are leaving yours in place.  Here’s a real one

9D6A647B-E860-498D-955F-165A534E197B

if you leave it as is, the mantlet will protrude too far forward. There was a bit of filling to do, but not much.  Here’s mine

3EE5FFBB-643F-4CD6-93DB-B4A0B6092D19

I left the plastic in place below the mantlet -no other reason than personal preference.

when I but the turret back the extr 2mm ish, the DEF mantlet was fine.

sorry for the thread hijack and no offence meant if you are cracking on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It looks good Darryl and will look even better with a dab of filler.

Now, about your kit stash. Two questions. What's your address, and when will the house be empty?:bobby:

John.

PS. And a Happy New Year to you and yours.

Thanks John,  address, no worries, acc number and pin too...:hmmm:

The worrying part is the other half of the stash is in the loft.....problem moi??

That's the goal for the coming year, thin the hoard!

All the best for 2022 too.

Darryl 

• Like 1

Thanks @simmerit I left the moulded on retainer in situ as otherwise I figured I'd have an even bigger gap to fill. Must admit I hadn't considered it protruding to far forwards....

Fits ok on the left and I can remove some of the moulded retainer. :hmmm:

I'll have another look at it later and give it some thought...

37 minutes ago, simmerit said:

sorry for the thread hijack and no offence meant if you are cracking on.

Not at all, any input is appreciated, might not always act upon it but good to know. :like:

Cheers

Thanks @simmerit I left the moulded on retainer in situ as otherwise I figured I'd have an even bigger gap to fill. Must admit I hadn't considered it protruding to far forwards....

Fits ok on the left and I can remove some of the moulded retainer. :hmmm:

I'll have another look at it later and give it some thought...

Not at all, any input is appreciated, might not always act upon it but good to know. :like:

Cheers

I know exactly what you mean about the ‘gulp factor’ as well.  I have a to say I was concerned about the extent of the surgery on the turret as get it wrong and the model is stuffed.  What I did was take it down about half a mil at a time. This is where I ended up if that helps.

81D14B75-5873-46CB-87E1-81A131B60BFA

now that I’m sober, I’m just about to look at the 30 cal!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

John.

Funnily enough i was thinking the same! Mighty fine stash you have there mate 👍

Great work on the Shot too.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The worrying part is the other half of the stash is in the loft

Oh, come on!! I don't mind a bit of B&E, but I'm beggared if I'm going to start climbing ladders at my age!

John.

• Haha 5